2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This defeat is not on Benitez, provided that James really was injured. The reaction to the defeat however does reflect on the wisdom of his appointment. I make no mistake, I am firmly in the camp of people who don’t want Benitez as our manager. I am, however also in the Evertonian camp and I always want us to win.

In view of the injuries getting anything out of this game was always unlikely, yes there were mistakes, Iwobi up front when Rondon had to be taken off, the fact that the James situation was dealt with only after the match, Benitez told us who was injured before kick off, but, made no mention of James amongst them, it was only when the flack started post match that we heard about this ‘mutual decision’ on James’ fitness.

The point is, if Benitez gets this level of fume when he loses a very lose able game, how bad will things get if we have a truly bad run. Unfortunately he will not get the same leeway another manager would get. He is, in fact, a highly devisive appointment.
That’s the biggest problem with the appointment and for all people telling us how he fans are behind him and standing ovations and all this rubbish you only had to be at the home games and feel the tension when We’ve gone behind to know how he’s walking a very think line . I’m not a fan of the manager but that’s not fair however that’s what the appointment has created , frankly he has to be the best performing Everton manager ever to have any chance here and that’s ridiculous. I still can’t fathom it , even after a fairly decent start he’s under huge pressure almost immediately through no real fault of his own .

I am worried about where the goals come from for the next two weeks

DCL and Richy are hurt, James is frozen/ on strike and number 10 is gone for good

So who can reliably score? Gray, then who, doucs and townsend

Worrying
Very worrying. Makes it very easy for qpr and Norwich to set their team up.

This defeat is not on Benitez, provided that James really was injured. The reaction to the defeat however does reflect on the wisdom of his appointment. I make no mistake, I am firmly in the camp of people who don’t want Benitez as our manager. I am, however also in the Evertonian camp and I always want us to win.

In view of the injuries getting anything out of this game was always unlikely, yes there were mistakes, Iwobi up front when Rondon had to be taken off, the fact that the James situation was dealt with only after the match, Benitez told us who was injured before kick off, but, made no mention of James amongst them, it was only when the flack started post match that we heard about this ‘mutual decision’ on James’ fitness.

The point is, if Benitez gets this level of fume when he loses a very lose able game, how bad will things get if we have a truly bad run. Unfortunately he will not get the same leeway another manager would get. He is, in fact, a highly devisive appointment.
I was not in favour of bringing in Benitez but considering the team for 60 minutes we were playing reasonably well and were certainly in the game.
The foul on Gray was a critical moment as had he not been pulled back I would have backed him all day long to slot that one.
One thing is for sure Godfrey is not the player we thought he was but he has time on his hands also defensively Digne has a lot to learn.

I was not in favour of bringing in Benitez but considering the team for 60 minutes we were playing reasonably well and were certainly in the game.
The foul on Gray was a critical moment as had he not been pulled back I would have backed him all day long to slot that one.
One thing is for sure Godfrey is not the player we thought he was but he has time on his hands also defensively Digne has a lot to learn.
Think the issue is he keeps getting moved into various positions to cover for our lack of depth rather than just learn one and stay there.

…I’m not particularly disagreeing, Steve, I always said we were a short stop in his career journey. I’m just pointing out it’s entirely reasonable for posters to highlight his non-inclusion. I admit to not particularly noticing it until it was pointed out.

I do think he’s a talent, though, and even if he doesn’t start games he could be utilised.
Benitez said earlier in the week ;James is training normally' but subsequently James 'ruled himself out'. This guy does not want to play for Everton at all now that Carlo has gone and Benitez who has .worked' with the self centred so and so previously, knows this. I would rather have Davek make up the bench,at least he loves Everton. Another thing I said last year shortly after James' initial burst of actually playing for the team was 'shades of Samuel Et'o...another 'world superstar' using Everton for a pay day when none of the worldie clubs wanted him any more. We have always done this ,even going back as for as Ginola and to lesser extent Gasgoine, but Gazza at least put the effort in for his friend WAlter. I will always respect Gazza for his efforts, and that Cup game at Middlesborough, when he tried his hardest, surrounded by ten others who couldn't give a monkeys. There is a reason why 'world superstars' come to the current Everton...its because they are virtually finished.

I don’t get this line of thinking. World champions Spain don’t even play with a centre forward sometimes. Man city play false nines.

sometimes it’s not about centre forwards it’s about getting people into the box.

Rafael obviously took Rondon off because he couldn’t last the 90 mins, with more midfielders you can play with more possession.
We dont play like the Spanish national team. I dont think Iwobi as a false 9 is ever going to work. A tired Rondon was a better option or even Ellis Simms.

None of the options were good but we picked the worst one for me

Benitez said earlier in the week ;James is training normally' but subsequently James 'ruled himself out'. This guy does not want to play for Everton at all now that Carlo has gone and Benitez who has .worked' with the self centred so and so previously, knows this. I would rather have Davek make up the bench,at least he loves Everton. Another thing I said last year shortly after James' initial burst of actually playing for the team was 'shades of Samuel Et'o...another 'world superstar' using Everton for a pay day when none of the worldie clubs wanted him any more. We have always done this ,even going back as for as Ginola and to lesser extent Gasgoine, but Gazza at least put the effort in for his friend WAlter. I will always respect Gazza for his efforts, and that Cup game at Middlesborough, when he tried his hardest, surrounded by ten others who couldn't give a monkeys. There is a reason why 'world superstars' come to the current Everton...its because they are virtually finished.
Gaza in the Leyton orient game was good as well I know we were playing against absolute rubbish that day but my you could see he was head and shoulders above everyone even at that age

Benitez is on a sticky wicket isn’t he? I thought we did well for 60mins yesterday given the players available. If Carlo had been in charge we’d have gotten ‘the players must sacrifice’ line like he was Don Corleone and everything would be ultra defensive and maybe 2 attempts at goal (if lucky). My view is that Everton are currently looking more progressive, fit and (crucially) aggressive. It’s good to see and more in tune with what I want from the team. Let’s not get on their backs as that way leads to regression, more defensive minds and tedium. I for one am very pleased to see the team carrying a threat for the first time in ages. If DCL played yesterday we’d have beaten Villa hands down.

He inherited a squad full of cowards with their confidence on the floor after Ancelotti, gets less than £2M to spend in the summer, finds himself one senior first team player down a week after taking charge, another one who earns the highest wage who Brands fails to get out the door and he hangs about his squad like a bad smell, and now an injury crisis that robs him of the whole attack and with injuries to the captain and GK....and we're 5th in the league.

Take
That
In

I didn't want Allardyce because of his style of football and the arrogance of the man and its pretty much the same with Benitez. However given what's gone on in the last 5 years I was actually willing to give him a chance. However his starting tactics in the Burnley match and his failure to react in the Villa match now convince me he needs to be gone before he can do too much damage. I feel sorry for him in the sense he's had a very small budget but that must have been explained before he took the job.

Taking off the centre forward for a midfielder sends a message to the team that we are playing for a point. It backfired badly.

These players don't have the mentality to see a game out so trying to shut up at the back was never going to work. Our defending this year has been much worse than last year with far more errors. Players need to take responsibility at some point and cut out the errors.
Yeah, I’ve not been at all convinced by our defending. Our set-pieces at both ends are terrible too.

Yesterday up front was about a distinct lack of quality. None of the four players who started up front would get into sides truly pushing for top six. Gray has started really well and worked hard but everything was reliant on him. Iwobi did his usual good thing followed by 3 bad things. Townsend - well ultimately he showed that despite having that rocket of a left foot he is still Townsend and not actually some world class talent. And that’s what you get for leaving it so late to sign Rondon that he’s nowhere near fit

I’ve seen a few ‘neutrals’ on the Benitez appointment getting nervous and saying ‘at least give him till the end of the season’

that’s after one defeat.

he’s on an absolute hiding to nothing here - having a threadbare squad (which it is) won’t save him either.

It was always going to be divisive so in those terms it was a really bad hire. It's not him that's causing the trouble though - it's fan immaturity
Not recognising fan immaturity is a thing and the trouble although I would call it tribalism. Not as if tribal and football is a new concept, football breathes tribalism, it energizes the fan to create the atmosphere. The atmosphere that was missed last year noted in every match as our football was in empty stadiums.

Status
Not open for further replies.