2021/22 Rafael Benitez

Well?

• IN

• OUT

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares about style of play. Hughton finished in a similar position to Potter when he was there.

Brighton also spend on average 60 mil per season.
But several of the benitez fans complain about the style of play carlo played, even though we were better defensively. So people do care. I'd rather get results then get slammed by Watford if I'm honest.

it's not that they've convinced themselves he's the only man for the job, just that theyd rather not sack him after two months when we're tenth (him having been given no money to spend and put in charge of a poxy squad). The world and his wife can see we've got a really tricky few weeks coming up, and the sensible approach is instead of shouting 'sack him' is to get behind the team and give him a bit of backing.
Literally told all summer by certain posters that he was the only man for the job and there are no other options other than Eddie howe.

For me,

Ruben Amorim (Sporting)
Graham Potter (Brighton)
Marcelo Gallardo (River Plate)
Erik Ten Hag (Ajax)

Thats my shortlist
All fantastic shouts but I don't think we can get any of them. Potter turned down Tottenham and Gallardo turned down Barcelona, whereas ten Hag has just signed a new deal at Ajax. Amorim might well be interested but his release clause is massive from what I've read. All phenomenal managers who I am very sure would do well at Everton. Given our current financial state however I think the club should look to make a stable appointment like an Ernesto Valverde, a Diego Martinez or a Genarro Gattuso.

Thats fine include wages - he still spent the 20th lowest amount in the league and the least amount of any Everton manager since Moyes no matter what measurement you use mate.

So we are blaming Benitez for not doing Brands job now are we?

What next? has he been making the tea and coffee too cold at FF? lol

Why do you keep up with this point?

PSG should finish bottom half then because they signed Messi, Wijnaldum, Donnarumma and Ramos on frees + Mendes on loan

Is that what youre arguing?

The entire performance of the manager is based on transfer fees and restarts each summer?

That is what your point is isnt it?

These are largely intelligent grown men making themselves look like buffoons - tieing themselves in knots to try make out this manager is the worst in our history.

Its just tragic at this stage.

The irony...lol

I don't buy into any of that, he did well because he got results, then by the 4th game we lost both our forwards. Funnily enough we've lost games as results and therefore confidence ebb away. If he had the full team and results and performances were progressively getting worse then I would probably start getting on his case. He needs a 10 game period where we have near enough a full team and if not at least the spine is there to see what we do.

….I think that’s fair. It hasn’t helped that a couple of posters put Benitez on a pedestal. I’m sure we’ll be fine when players are back, but the atmosphere could get really toxic ahead of that.

All fantastic shouts but I don't think we can get any of them. Potter turned down Tottenham and Gallardo turned down Barcelona, whereas ten Hag has just signed a new deal at Ajax. Amorim might well be interested but his release clause is massive from what I've read. All phenomenal managers who I am very sure would do well at Everton. Given our current financial state however I think the club should look to make a stable appointment like an Ernesto Valverde, a Diego Martinez or a Genarro Gattuso.

Valderde not as bad as Koeman but not great either.

Martinez highly rated but probably needs to add some front foot play as with Grenada it was almost all counter attacking as underdogs.

Gattuso one of my favourite players....myth/clown of a manager really until Napoli hired him.

If we are intelligent in sales and can reinvest well in Jan and summer then we wont be restricted by FFP in 2023 so managers should see what we have now and what the potential is with FFP cleared and the new ground.

The entire performance of the manager is based on transfer fees and restarts each summer?

well more often than not the team with the highest wages wins all the pots. Our wages are astronomical but we are paying no marks like Gomes, Gbamin, and Tosun an outrageous amount so perhaps it is skewed a bit. We should definitely be looking to be in European places at the end of the season, to be otherwise is a failure in my opinion.

Also dont forget the salary we pay...one of the biggest salaries in world football.

Why do you keep up with this point?

PSG should finish bottom half then because they signed Messi, Wijnaldum, Donnarumma and Ramos on frees + Mendes on loan

Is that what youre arguing?

The irony...lol

The irony that you're comparing Messi, Wijnaldum, Donnarumma and Ramos to Gray, Townsend, Rondon & Begovic!!

Keep digging yourself that hole mate lol

….I think that’s fair. It hasn’t helped that a couple of posters put Benitez on a pedestal. I’m sure we’ll be fine when players are back, but the atmosphere could get really toxic ahead of that.

It will because it's going to get worse - a lot worse before it gets better. Just have to hope Mina/DCL and Doucoure are back after the international break and if so can their presence lift the others who will presumably have gone through 5 bad defeats on the spin.

Valderde not as bad as Koeman but not great either.

Martinez highly rated but probably needs to add some front foot play as with Grenada it was almost all counter attacking as underdogs.

Gattuso one of my favourite players....myth/clown of a manager really until Napoli hired him.

If we are intelligent in sales and can reinvest well in Jan and summer then we wont be restricted by FFP in 2023 so managers should see what we have now and what the potential is with FFP cleared and the new ground.
Think Valverde gets too much stick, his only real failures with Barcelona were in Europe and he was phenomenal for Athletic Bilbao.

I agree on Martinez but given the profile of our squad and how horrible our passing has been under previous managers, I really don't think we can play any progressive football until a bulk of the squad has been cleared out.

Also dont forget the salary we pay...one of the biggest salaries in world football.

This is true, most managers would obviously be happy to take the job but at this very moment it looks like a bit of a poison chalice. If managers who have already had success like Ancelotti and Benitez have failed their, perhaps it speaks to a bit of a clown show at the top. I can only imagine dignified men like Valverde and Martinez sitting through Blue Bill wax lyrical about Alan Stubbs and Duncan Ferguson with pained smiles. If Brands starts running the show in the near future as I hope he does, higher profile managers would take a look at the job rather than older managers looking for a last paycheck, as we have a setup that they can build on.

Tranmere spent a decade in the non leagues. Bournemouth didn't. Bournemouth were always a league 1 club, if not for going in to administration.

Howe also spent a good amount of money, most of which was on utter dross, he has a terrible transfer record.

Bournemouth are doing well without him and will be back in the Premier league next season.

Tranmere are traditionally a League 1-2 club like Bournemouth are. Similar catchment area, similar sized club.

They are only in the position they are because of Howe!

Again you are another one, his transfer record is terrible? Yeah for one or two seasons when the pressure was cranked on for tiny Bournemouth to be more competitive in a league they never dreamed of being in. What about his transfers as he went up FOUR divisions? Do they not count?

He is a good manager, he does not really deserve to be treated as a joke.

Last edited:
Tranmere are traditionally a League 1-2 club like Bournemouth are. Similar catchment area, similar sized club.

They are only in the position they are because of Howe!

Again you are another one, his transfer record is terrible? Yeah for one or two seasons when the pressure was cranked on for tiny Bournemouth to be more competitive in a league they never dreamed of being in. What about his transfers is he went up FOUR divisions? Do they not count?

He is a good manager, he does not really deserve to be treated as a joke.
I don't always like to make this point as it comes across a bit cynical but if a manager had come from a league in Germany or Spain with Howe's achievements he would be looked at as one of the brightest young managers in football. I would have been quite happy to have him here, although I suspect our current defensive woes might be even worse at the moment! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.