Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. If a team survived relegation on 37 points, but was relegated the following season on 39 points - it wouldn't be seen as progress would it?

Points determine league position.

League position determines success.

League position is the benchmark.

For all the fanfare, for all the adulation - Ancelotti was a failure. I was his biggest advocate because Ancelotti had the credentials to give confidence he'd get it right in time and I knew there wasn't a better alternative to come in, but he bailed early and that dictated his Everton legacy to be one of unquestionable failure.

The benchmark he set was 10th.

Over the course of a full season, he delivered woeful football with negative goal difference and managed to outperform Aston Villa, Newcastle, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Brighton, Burnley, Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield United.

Any manager, finishing below 10th with this Everton squad should be sacked.

If Benitez finishes higher than 10th, he outperformed Ancelotti.
Ancelotti had a very big job on his hands when he arrived. We'd started slow, then hit form to finish the on the up, only for it to go completely pear shaped at the start of the second season, under both Koeman and Silva. Carlo came in after Silva and steadied the ship. Then he got off to a right belter of a start last season which saw us top the table, and people thought that finally we'd come good. From the new year on we just were in free fall and it showed that the job to get Everton competing at the top was much much bigger than he had thought. He wasn't interested in taking 2 or 3 years to get us back to being competitively in the league, and did a runner.
We're in such a state it'll take a number of seasons to get us competitive as far as league position is concerned, certainly longer than Ancelotti gave us.
Top managers don't hang around to rebuild teams and make a team competitive. They take up the jobs where clubs are already successful. I think a manager will have to be given 3 or 4 seasons to get us back to the top end of the league, some of those seasons may see us struggle in the League.

As far as sacking any manager finishing below 10th with this lot, it would mean we would be sacking a manager every summer,

Nah. If a team survived relegation on 37 points, but was relegated the following season on 39 points - it wouldn't be seen as progress would it?

Points determine league position.

League position determines success.

League position is the benchmark.

For all the fanfare, for all the adulation - Ancelotti was a failure. I was his biggest advocate because Ancelotti had the credentials to give confidence he'd get it right in time and I knew there wasn't a better alternative to come in, but he bailed early and that dictated his Everton legacy to be one of unquestionable failure.

The benchmark he set was 10th.

Over the course of a full season, he delivered woeful football with negative goal difference and managed to outperform Aston Villa, Newcastle, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Brighton, Burnley, Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield United.

Any manager, finishing below 10th with this Everton squad should be sacked.

If Benitez finishes higher than 10th, he outperformed Ancelotti.
Totally disagree, my benchmark would always be points because that’s a direct comparison about how you are performing against your competitors.

you take more points you’ve performed better. League position is determined on others

The manager cant affect other teams results, only his own teams.

59pts would have gotten 6th in 19/20
17 wins would have been 6th highest then also.

That is of course meaningless when we finished 10th in 20/21.

Based on improving your own team though surely it should be based on points achieved?
He just gave you the perfect example of a team achieving more points but having a worse season. The league is a competition. The aim is to be better than the other competitors and to do that you need to finish in a higher league position.

Totally disagree, my benchmark would always be points because that’s a direct comparison about how you are performing against your competitors.

you take more points you’ve performed better. League position is determined on others
I don't think its either to be honest.

We know when we have had a good season and when we have had a crap one.

He just gave you the perfect example of a team achieving more points but having a worse season. The league is a competition. The aim is to be better than the other competitors and to do that you need to finish in a higher league position.

But the only impact a manager can have is on his own team and the points and results his own team achieves.

He can only improve the results and points of his own team ergo he should be aiming to win more games and attain more points.

If Benitez achieves 60pts+ then hes improved on the 59pts Ancelotti achieved.

He cant affect the other clubs results or points.

That doesn’t show progress though; it shows that the league was in a poorer condition.

Points indicate a direct like for like comparison, you may not like but that’s just the reality
It's not the reality. A poorer league condition, as was the case last year at the top and bottom, means you can't actually compare like for like. There are different teams in it for a start. As such you need to compare against your competitors IE league position

But the only impact a manager can have is on his own team and the points and results his own team achieves.

He can only improve the results and points of his own team ergo he should be aiming to win more games and attain more points.

If Benitez achieves 60pts+ then hes improved on the 59pts Ancelotti achieved.

He cant affect the other clubs results or points.
Would you rather finish 2nd with 88 points or 1st on 84?

Status
Not open for further replies.