Homepage Article Rafael Benitez Appointed Everton Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
The day after Ancelotti left, I ran a poll with all linked candidates. Only Ralf Rangnick had more votes in favour than Benitez.

There was no candidate, IMO, that you'd appoint on the grounds of they'd be given more time than Benitez.
I get the initial fume and kneejerk reaction. Still raging about it over a month later, to the point of personal abuse is a little odd to me.
You've got to let them get on with it now - all the fume and kneejerk reaction over the years has made Moshiri realise to not listen to fans.
If only Moshiri wouldnt listen to most of the (none financial) football related ideas He comes up with

Points determine success; you improve on the previous points tally then that’s the mark of improvement

Points determine league position.

Carlo Ancelotti's Everton accrued enough points to finish 10th.

61 points can mean 4th one season (like it did for us one), other seasons it's 9th (like last season).

Ancelotti failed at Everton.

If Benitez improves on Ancelotti's 10th, then that's a mark of improvement.

61 points can mean 4th one season (like it did for us one), other seasons it's 9th (like last season).

Exactly - you could get 80 points and win the title one year then get 82 points the following year and finish 2nd.

Points mean little in the grand scheme of things unless you advocate the 72 points trophy.

How do you put aside that he's an enormous kopite pig and detesting him but also wanting the rat to win every game?

Damn you Everton.

When Kendall took over Everton...you could have said the same thing....
A couple of seasons at Blackburn. I think promotion from 3rd Div to second in first season, narrowly missed out on successive promotion to old First Division next season. Inexperienced at top tier but broadly fitted the description of a young rising star who had served a bit of an apprenticeship in lower leagues. Not quite nothing, clear improvement of the team he was managing, albeit at lower level.

Points determine improvement; if you go 61,58, 54 each year remain in the same league position you’re declining because you’re losing more points. League position can be a false indicator; the same when we finished 4th with Moyes

Points determine improvement; if you go 61,58, 54 each year remain in the same league position you’re declining because you’re losing more points. League position can be a false indicator; the same when we finished 4th with Moyes

Nah. If a team survived relegation on 37 points, but was relegated the following season on 39 points - it wouldn't be seen as progress would it?

League position determines success.

League position is the benchmark.

For all the fanfare, for all the adulation - Ancelotti was a failure. I was his biggest advocate because Ancelotti had the credentials to give confidence he'd get it right in time and I knew there wasn't a better alternative to come in, but he bailed early and that dictated his Everton legacy to be one of unquestionable failure.

The benchmark he set was 10th.

Over the course of a full season, he delivered woeful football with negative goal difference and managed to outperform Aston Villa, Newcastle, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Brighton, Burnley, Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield United.

Any manager, finishing below 10th with this Everton squad should be sacked.

If Benitez finishes higher than 10th, he outperformed Ancelotti.

How do you put aside that he's an enormous kopite pig and detesting him but also wanting the rat to win every game?

Damn you Everton.
We support Everton, he is OUR manager, he is our face at press conferences, he represents every Everton supporter, he is the chosen one.

He's here now, the season starts in 10? days, I didn't want him because he and all the other 'vaible' candidates were just different shades of meh and the rs thing was just one more reason not to have a meh manager.

But who else was there?
Well there was maybe my pick of Bielsa but I doubt he would leave Leeds.
So
Who else was there?

Moshiri got him the job
Results will keep him the job.

He's here now, the season starts in 10? days, I didn't want him because he and all the other 'vaible' candidates were just different shades of meh and the rs thing was just one more reason not to have a meh manager.

But who else was there?
Well there was maybe my pick of Bielsa but I doubt he would leave Leeds.
So
Who else was there?

Moshiri got him the job
Results will keep him the job.

Yep, it’s time to put all the history and bad feelings behind us and get behind the team and manager…..

Nah. If a team survived relegation on 37 points, but was relegated the following season on 39 points - it wouldn't be seen as progress would it?

League position determines success.

League position is the benchmark.

For all the fanfare, for all the adulation - Ancelotti was a failure. I was his biggest advocate because Ancelotti had the credentials to give confidence he'd get it right in time and I knew there wasn't a better alternative to come in, but he bailed early and that dictated his Everton legacy to be one of unquestionable failure.

The benchmark he set was 10th.

Over the course of a full season, he delivered woeful football with negative goal difference and managed to outperform Aston Villa, Newcastle, Wolves, Crystal Palace, Southampton, Brighton, Burnley, Fulham, West Brom and Sheffield United.

Any manager, finishing below 10th with this Everton squad should be sacked.

If Benitez finishes higher than 10th, he outperformed Ancelotti.

The manager cant affect other teams results, only his own teams.

59pts would have gotten 6th in 19/20
17 wins would have been 6th highest then also.

That is of course meaningless when we finished 10th in 20/21.

Based on improving your own team though surely it should be based on points achieved?

Status
Not open for further replies.