Quite Worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon_efc

Player Valuation: £8m
To be honest, i dont know an awful lot about yakubo.. i know from what i have seen he comes accross as a good consistent striker and i know he is 2nd only to henry in recent seasons !

also everyone is raving over his possible signing, but after looking at a m'boro forum and seeing their opinions. Im actually quite worried about him.

It appears in recent years he has had on/off form and seems to only perform for 1/2 a season before being a flop. also even the m'boro fans seem to think he is massively over priced and want rid.

nice article here to read
http://anthonyvickers.boroblogs.co.uk/archives/2007/08/yakkity_yak_tra.html

This is some of the quotes of their forum, which worry me a lot

The only suprising aspect of the Yakubu saga is that another club is willing to pay £10 million + for someone who only plays half a season.

If the right offer came along which has to be more than what we paid for him, then let him go. One interesting aspect about his omission from Saturday the observation by Hansen on MOTD that he is good in the air, proves once and for all how little knowledge these pundits have on the players they watch.

Everybody at the Riverside knows how poor Yak is at heading. Equally poor marks to Hansen and not for the first time, making a crass football judgement.

I actually think the club are playing the Yak situation quite well, cant do much more.

Also I dont think Yak isnt trying, he just isnt with it. He was never the best at trapping a football, he isnt a Nat Lofthouse in the air or a Sherpa Van poacher. He only has to be a few percent below par and he looks poor, we know that from watching him in the past.

I read tonight that the Yakubu deal has supposedly 'collapsed' over the transfer fee. We apparently want £12.5 mil, against Everton's offer of £11m.

Whilst I acknowledge the transfer market has gone ballistic this summer with the TV deal money that has come into the game, if I was Gibbo I would snap Everton's hand off for £11m. This bloke is worth nowhere near that amount.

next week with the deadline he could be worth £11-12 mil but if we dont sell then come the janaery window it could be down to £5m and him looking like ricketts.

it sounds a bit like the beattie case where we just wanted rid, and 4million we were shocked n wanted to snap their hands off ...

but moyes was hesitant at first and we couldnt believe it !!

is the YAK really worth 12.5million as the boro seem to think?

You'll find fans that dislike a player at every club. I suspect you'll find some here that think AJ only plays for half a season because he hasn't scored in a dozen games.

Keep in mind that how a player plays at one club, one manager, with one set of teammates, and in front of one set of fans may be completely different than how he performs for another club, manager, etc....

You'd like to think it wouldn't work that way but you can't take the human element out of these things.

I'd like to think that there would be a few positives here:

1) Boro fans (rightly so) are probably in a downer mood about everything right now and Yak would be no exception. I could see many Evertonians saying the same thing about AJ if we had the start they had.

2) Moyes has instilled a quality about the side and has reinstilled a pride about playing for Everton. I think his management style would work well with a player like Yakubu. Players want to play for us pure and simple. A lot of that is down to Moyes.

3) We have very few dressing room problems and with the exception of VDM, I'd say that all of them are dealt with "Carsley style" internally. Yakubu doesn't strike me as someone who'd be a problem but let's say that he comes to Everton with an attitude. That attitude would be gone within a week. When was the last time you heard about an Everton training ground incident a la Barton or Hartson? That's right, you haven't.

4) International teammate Yobo on the roster which should help him acclimate a bit more. No guarantees but it always helps.

5) Everton are near the top of the table. Any new player coming in would be brain dead not to want to put their best foot forward to meet fans expectations as well as to justify their place in the squad. Assuming we get him, Everton were fine before he got here and we'll be fine after he leaves. I think all of the players understand that.

I'm sure there are a few more that I can't think of right now but let's go back to how we all felt when we FIRST heard that we may be getting Yakubu. Very few if any of us said, "Screw that, we don't want that waster here." Most everyone's mouth started to water at the prospect of a Yakubu / AJ partnership.

That hasn't changed.

Good post TX- I agree completely.

I actually really rate the guy and would see it as a majour coup if we pulled this one off, he is fast, powerful and can be the link between midfield and attack or lead the line.

Players that have a big build need to conserve energy and he isnt the type of player that can run and run all day long like AJ. I think that the AJ/Yakubu partnership has the potential to be one of the most prolific in the league.

To be honest, i dont know an awful lot about yakubo.. i know from what i have seen he comes accross as a good consistent striker and i know he is 2nd only to henry in recent seasons !

also everyone is raving over his possible signing, but after looking at a m'boro forum and seeing their opinions. Im actually quite worried about him.

It appears in recent years he has had on/off form and seems to only perform for 1/2 a season before being a flop. also even the m'boro fans seem to think he is massively over priced and want rid.

nice article here to read
http://anthonyvickers.boroblogs.co.uk/archives/2007/08/yakkity_yak_tra.html

This is some of the quotes of their forum, which worry me a lot

This post echoes what I have said in other threads, My Boro mates cannot believe that anyone would be prepared to pay that much for him. Don't forget they watch him week in and week out so they should know.

There will always be the possibility of doing better with another striker. However there are few proven PL strikers of the type we need available. While there are a lot of other good such strikers in other european leagues.. we'll face the possibility that those won't fit into the english system and therefore be a total waste of money, Kroldrup aynone? But on the other hand.. if the player succeed, Berbatov, it will be a huge find.

I guess it depends on which aspekt is most important at the moment. If we already had 2-3 proven strikers and needed a fourth then I'd say go abroad for a cheaper solution that might not work.. but for a primary striker? I´d go for the more expensive but proven option.

The main question will be as it was with Beattie will our style of play benefit Yaks skills the best and can AJ form a excellent partnership with him. Other than that it comes down to attitude and what he can bring to the team in that area will he be a moaner or pick our players off the ground when they are down.

We have to balance that with the fact that most of it will be pure sour grapes.

In saying that, I still think we can do better for our money.

I would agree with that but, having heard it from the fans themselves, sorry mate you are wrong as most are pissing themselves, unfortunately, at our expense

I would agree with that but, having heard it from the fans themselves, sorry mate you are wrong as most are pissing themselves, unfortunately, at our expense

have to say I've really gone off the idea. Thing he'll be worth alot less this time next year.

Boro fans are more likely to know their player than we do. If they say he's bobbins in the air - it's probably cos he is.

Yes it'd be good to have another prolific striker, with pace and power. But dont we need a target man, in addition?

someone to win all those hoofed balls.

or is the everton back 4 and carsley, suddenly going to stop hoofing balls like that forward.

that'll be the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.