Press coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working in the media, unfortunately it is just the way things are. For eery premier league match report, the word limit is usually 400/450 (this for online). League Cup, unless it's a big game, the usual count is around 300. It's just the way it is.

Working in the media, unfortunately it is just the way things are. For eery premier league match report, the word limit is usually 400/450 (this for online). League Cup, unless it's a big game, the usual count is around 300. It's just the way it is.

Working in media means you have a blog on how many beans you can stick up your nose while sitting in your spiderman undies in your student halls

Ive known us not to feature once or twice. Ive even found of equal annoyance that our match report has consisted of a micro analysis of our opponents current situation and no mention whatsoever of our play or even any involvement in the game. Its as though the "match reports" are egotistical vanity projects for the reporters to tout their journalese....theyd have never made it to the pink Echo with its sharp detail (late goals in stop press tho sometimes !) If you read the content you still have to look at the top to see who won even with some reports now.. As if theyd aspire to the likes of McIlvanny, Glanville etc anyway.

May I ask which area of the country you bought these newspapers?

I think it depends which regional edition of the national newspaper you read.

The North West editions will feature Eveton more than the West Midlands or London editions will.

The other thing is I have noticed over the years that 8 o'clock kick offs don't get much reporting the following morning.

I think there may be a cut off point for filing match reports for the next morning's papers which comes just too soon for the kater starts.
Liverpool!

STOP PRESS! Paper makes decision to print stories it thinks its readers will be interested in and help sell it!
BREAKING NEWS! Country isn't desperate to read about Reading v Everton in the nation's 2nd most watched cup compeition.
So, no one on Merseyside wanted to read anything about a game involving Everton? You're missing the point mate. And that is that it costs peanuts for papers to produce regional variations of their output. Yet in what i can only presume was supposedly the north west edition we didn't get one word of a match report on last nights game. Never mind what the rest of the country is interested in, I'm talking about supporters in the north west.

So, no one on Merseyside wanted to read anything about a game involving Everton? You're missing the point mate. And that is that it costs peanuts for papers to produce regional variations of their output. Yet in what i can only presume was supposedly the north west edition we didn't get one word of a match report on last nights game. Never mind what the rest of the country is interested in, I'm talking about supporters in the north west.

Agreed, sadly its the norm, unless we beat a Manchester or London team its always the case. The hint of a new manager across the park carried more wordage than our game. I think Esk's point is also relevant, the clubs press office need to pull their figures out, possibly even greater hospitality than they get already, it sells the clubs name. A club like ours shouldn't need it but the fourth estate is the most corrupt division in our society and they get away with it plus dictate the tastes they think are best. Incidentally we are not the only ones, Citeh before the Arabs had the same problem, Villa and any other none 'big six team' as decided in Fleet Street

On Monday I read the Everton-Swansea reports in both The Mail and The Express. The Mail 'report' was less than 50 words. The Express was less than 100. In an age when regional versions of a newspaper can readily be produced with a bit of rejigging this is appalling. But blow me, I again buy The Express today to see the report of last nights game. I flick past a whole page report of Villa-B'ham and half or quarter page reports on a number of others. I go through the sports pages again because I'd obviously overlooked the Everton-Reading report. Still can't find it -- because there wasn't one! Unbelievable. Has there been any previous occasion, ever, when a national newspaper on sale in Liverpool omitted a report on us?

Eventually I came across a two sentence reference to the game in a short column reviewing all the other games together!
BAWK is back!

My point is that most papers just don't cover anybody accept the so-called major teams (rightly or wrongly) unless they have a dedicated football pull-out/section.

Online is different, as all Premier League teams are always covered for whatever (competitive) fixture they play in. Paper reports are now almost-always 'colour reports/features' rather than just straight match reports, but their is little focus on the League Cup unless there is a big upset or it's the final eight.

Status
Not open for further replies.