Poll: Complete the season at neutral venues behind closed doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely there's a difference between playing some games with and some without fans in the same season though. Playing without fans is usually used as a punishment which obviously effects the home team to a greater extent. There's absolutely no chance of playing with fans this season and no fairness in playing without. Also, watching a pile of games played in empty stadiums on the telly sounds crap. TV, the Premier League and sponsors have way too much clout and if this whole horrible situation we are currently in as a planet proves anything it is that footballers and TV pundits are of little use in the grand scheme of things when the going gets tough (unless you want to watch them playing keepy uppy with a bog roll on 'tinternet). If they want to bring joy to the masses there's a clear and obvious choice, and I'm sure our red brethren would be more than willing to allow that to happen for the greater good of the country as a whole, just void it.
Actually how much difference the home advantage would be without fans is something that there isn't too much information on. The amount of times it has happened are so stretched out that there isn't really adequate data to say what would happen. It's kind of an interesting question.

it annoys me that we're supposed to treat these spoilt millionaires as some sort of superior version of humanity. If social distancing is relaxed enough for 22 blokes to play football (along with the officials, TV crews, managers/coaches, medical staff, ground staff, etc) then us mere mortals should be allowed to have a kick about in the park at the same time. until that is the case, there should be no football (behind closed doors or not)

We're talking about the point when extreme social distancing is over. Obviously right now sporting events can't go on. That will change in the future at some point, but the point where stadiums can fill up is even further off.

What is “extreme” social distancing?

If it is deemed unsafe for me to sit beside you in the Bullens then it is equally unsafe for players to be wrestling with each other in the penalty box at corners.

it annoys me that we're supposed to treat these spoilt millionaires as some sort of superior version of humanity. If social distancing is relaxed enough for 22 blokes to play football (along with the officials, TV crews, managers/coaches, medical staff, ground staff, etc) then us mere mortals should be allowed to have a kick about in the park at the same time. until that is the case, there should be no football (behind closed doors or not)

Its not a huge leap of logic is it?

That’s not really the same situation , you’ll be passing hundreds of people getting into the match , into your seat and then there will be six people all within a metre of you for 90 minutes and they won’t have been tested more than likely

As far as I'm concerned the season finished 2 months ago.

I don't care what the authorities decide to do - this season is over.

What is “extreme” social distancing?

If it is deemed unsafe for me to sit beside you in the Bullens then it is equally unsafe for players to be wrestling with each other in the penalty box at corners.
I think this goes without saying, but there's a different risk level when 50 people are inside a stadium versus when 40000 people are. It can be safe for 20 guys to be in a penalty box while not being safe for the Bullens to be packed. Surely you understand this?

Surely there's a difference between playing some games with and some without fans in the same season though.
I don't see how it's fair how teams will have played with the advantage of being at home (with support), while other teams will be denied that opportunity.

While there may not have been official studies, any fan who has been to Goodison knows how it can be a cauldron and this impacts on the game - on the players.

Fans from other clubs will feel the same with the lack of such advantage, so it will (I suspect) naturally benefit the more successful teams in regards of quality.

For me, it's a resounding no.

With hundreds dying in this country everyday and multiple thousands worldwide, 2020 will be written off as an absolute horrendous year. Hundreds of thousands mourning their loved ones daily. Football means absolutely nothing and should be written off along with this year.

I don't see how it's fair how teams will have played with the advantage of being at home (with support), while other teams will be denied that opportunity.

While there may not have been official studies, any fan who has been to Goodison knows how it can be a cauldron and this impacts on the game - on the players.

Fans from other clubs will feel the same with the lack of such advantage, so it will (I suspect) naturally benefit the more successful teams in regards of quality.

For me, it's a resounding no.

I feel like loads of sides have been spared relegation due to home form alone down the years.

I'm pretty sure Fulham went almost two seasons without an away win. Home form kept them up.

There is a definite advantage to playing at home in front of your own fans.

I'm not sure what will happen but many have been disgusted with the Premier League and certain sides during this.

I feel like loads of sides have been spared relegation due to home form alone down the years.

I'm pretty sure Fulham went almost two seasons without an away win. Home form kept them up.

There is a definite advantage to playing at home in front of your own fans.

I'm not sure what will happen but many have been disgusted with the Premier League and certain sides during this.
Without our home form, we'd have been nowhere near our higher positions in the league because our away form has been poor - more so against certain clubs.

It doesn’t matter whether social distancing has ended or not if football takes place with crowds again later this year, I can’t believe anyone in their right mind is going to turn up and risk their health by sitting alongside a complete stranger for 2 hours whilst he shouts and screams at the match. People are going to need at least 12 months to feel confident about being in crowds again.

Status
Not open for further replies.