Please offer your opinion on the statistics posted below...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club from the top down, it's appalling. Sycophants and jobs for the boys. It's so incestuous they've crawled up their own arses.

Moyes had a chance, he built something and it's a travesty he wasn't backed. The glass ceiling wasn't of his making. He wasn't backed because Kenwright was bluffing at a poker table. His mates slipping him quids under the table to keep him in the game. Moyes never stood a chance.

Moyes kept Kenwright in a job. And he can thank Walter Smith for that, otherwise, we'd have Gary Megson and be where Sheffield Wednesday are now.

So yeah, Moyes, thanks for the memories. You dour, knives to a gun-fight, peoples club, bottling, toe the party line, competent, bargain seeking, legend in your own lunchbox, ginger headed, never winning a game against the top five, thistle breather.

Can we move on now?

Why so negative? I was simply showing how football has changed for Everton. This may interest some fans, I dunno! I thought it may encourage some cool debate. Have you got anything you'd like to contribute?

i was just rtying to demonstrate how we now operate with reckless abandon when buying ordinary players for huge sums over and over again. When we were poor it wasn't like that, was it? Sure there were a few crap signings along the way but we mostly balanced the books didn't we? Everton was smart in the transfer market cos we had to be. improving players then selling them on for massive profits was commonplace. That was my personal context. I left it open for interpretation for others to discuss.

Sorry. I didn't mean to be negative. You're right. It was a flippant comment. But context relative to other clubs over the periods in question still makes a massive difference here. I agree that our spending on players under Moshiri has been reckless though (to put it mildly) and to my mind utterly lacking in direction or coherent strategy. We've acted like half-p1ssed lottery winners more accustomed to rummaging through bins in Home Bargains.

Below are two seperare periods of 5 consecutive seasons. Transfer expenditure and league finishes are included. Thanks.

2009/10 - 3.5m profit - 8th finish
2010/11 - 1.475m profit - 7th finish
2011/12 - 16.33m spent - 7th finish
2012/13 - 4.25m profit - 6th finish
2013/14 - 16m profit - 5th finish

Net Spend - 1.895m spent over 5 seasons.

Average league finish - 6.6

Managers over this 5 season period - David Moyes

2014/15 - 30.96m spent - 11th finish
2015/16 - 27.4m spent - 11th finish
2016/17 - 25.95m spent - 7th finish
2017/18 - 72.5m spent - 8th finish
2018/19 - 58.7m spent - 8th finish

Net Spend - 215.51m spent over 5 seasons

Average league finish - 9

Management over this 5 season period - Roberto Martinez, Ronald Koeman, David Unsworth, Sam Allardyce, Marco Silva, Duncan Ferguson, Carlo Ancelotti
This s the problem with us as a fan base, the only statistic that matters is how many trophies. I couldn’t give a flying one about finishing 10th, 8th, 6th etc. Getting into europe for the sake of it means zero to me. If we got in via winning a trophy, then fair enough, but getting in because we are the fifth least worst team behind the champions, doesn’t float my boat.

Below are two seperare periods of 5 consecutive seasons. Transfer expenditure and league finishes are included. Thanks.

Management over this 5 season period - Roberto Martinez, Ronald Koeman, David Unsworth, Sam Allardyce, Marco Silva, Duncan Ferguson, Carlo Ancelotti
If we had spent the money in the last 5 years well, we would be much better off. Spending big isn't the problem here, spending badly is.

Below are two separate periods of 5 consecutive seasons. Transfer expenditure (Based on Transfrmrkt and other such unreliable sources/guesswork), league finishes and trophies won are included. Thanks.

1982/83 - 250k Spent - 7th finish
1983/84 - 900k Spent - 7th finish & FA Cup Winners
1984/85 - 645k Spent - League Champions, Charity Shield Winners & Cup Winners Cup Winners
1985/86 - 637k Spent - 2nd finish
1986/87 - 400k Profit - League Champions

Net Spend - 2.032m spent over 5 seasons.

Average league finish - 3.6

League Championships - 2

Cups Won - 3

Knives brought to gunfights - 0

Management over this 5 year period - Howard Kendall

We don't unitlise the lower leagues like we used to under Moyes.

The likes of Maddison, traore, Daniel James, all came from the the lower leagues

someone may have replied already saying similar but these days you don't get bargains like you did though, lower league teams charge the price of established players these days, same with youth in general, clubs want transfer fees based on what they will be worth in the future

the likes of Brentford's etc wanting 20mil for players

tim cahill 1.7m and john stones 2.5m would be full on 30 and 40 mils these days from the championship

Kendall didn't have a pot to piss in. And that's what it comes down to. Great managers, truly great managers win because they can identify pieces, that fit into their vision. You don't need shed loads of money to do that.

Comparing managers and outlay is a fruitless exercise. Successful managers rely on management and recruitment. Managing what you have, i.e your assets, (turning them into assets and not liabilities) and hiring were you perceive you are weak. Utilizing the tools you have to work with and combining them with new assets which will merge into one.

Everton is the opposite of that, it's incoherent. If you've played for Everton before, basically you've got a job. Hence, why we still have shouts for Moyes, coaches etc...as long as you're part of the furniture, you're in the running for a job.

Everton are the British Leyland of the early 80's. Uncompetitive, bloated, archaic, incompetent and increasingly irrelevant and liable to break down at the first hint of pressure.

Below are two separate periods of 5 consecutive seasons. Transfer expenditure (Based on Transfrmrkt and other such unreliable sources/guesswork), league finishes and trophies won are included. Thanks.

1982/83 - 250k Spent - 7th finish
1983/84 - 900k Spent - 7th finish & FA Cup Winners
1984/85 - 645k Spent - League Champions, Charity Shield Winners & Cup Winners Cup Winners
1985/86 - 637k Spent - 2nd finish
1986/87 - 400k Profit - League Champions

Net Spend - 2.032m spent over 5 seasons.

Average league finish - 3.6

League Championships - 2

Cups Won - 3

Knives brought to gunfights - 0

Management over this 5 year period - Howard Kendall
You and Sentinel should get a room together, forum meanies! (n)

You and Sentinel should get a room together, forum meanies! (n)
Not being mean mate. Just pointing out that comparing different eras, different markets and different situations means little to nothing. Everton spent heavily, in terms of the market at the time, during the most successful period in the clubs history.

Kendall didn't have a pot to piss in. And that's what it comes down to. Great managers, truly great managers win because they can identify pieces, that fit into their vision. You don't need shed loads of money to do that.

Comparing managers and outlay is a fruitless exercise. Successful managers rely on management and recruitment. Managing what you have, i.e your assets, (turning them into assets and not liabilities) and hiring were you perceive you are weak. Utilizing the tools you have to work with and combining them with new assets which will merge into one.

Everton is the opposite of that, it's incoherent. If you've played for Everton before, basically you've got a job. Hence, why we still have shouts for Moyes, coaches etc...as long as you're part of the furniture, you're in the running for a job.

Everton are the British Leyland of the early 80's. Uncompetitive, bloated, archaic, incompetent and increasingly irrelevant and liable to break down at the first hint of pressure.

Not true to be fair.

He might not have had money to spend during his 2nd and 3rd spells as manager but during his trophy laden first spell Everton spent as heavily as any other club in the top flight. It was spent very well though.

Unfortunately, the Neymar to PSG deal utterly changed transfers and clubs valuations of players, those days are long gone.

Which is why I would have given Moyes a chance in this new era to see what he could have achieved

Would have dispelled the what ifs

When Moyes had money he didnt spend it well. What was it, 20m for Fellaini who wasnt a good DM, so he played him upfront? 11m for Billy, 8m for Beattie, 5m for Per Koldrup. Etc

Status
Not open for further replies.