Players you were happy we signed but turned out to be pants, and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
...watching his first few games, I couldn’t understand why we signed Fellaini for big bucks but he turned out good.

Further back, I agree with @Joey66 that Henry Newton was a big disappointment. I’ll add Joe Harper. Tony Cottee, Danny Williamson and Slavic Bilic from West Ham. Don’t buy from West Ham.

Stephen Hughes from Arsenal and most of the players brought in by Steve Walsh.
Bit harsh to include Cottee at least he scored a lot of goals.It was an ever changing environment at Goodison on and off the pitch during his career here.

I remember being underwhelmed when we bought Paul Power who was coming towards the end of his career(especially as we'd just lost,or were about to lose Lineker)but he more than played his part in the title win that season.
Took the words out of my mouth with Paul Power, an excellent signing, did he only stay the one season?

Claus Thomson . I do like that sort of player . I thought he would at least have the basic skills of an under 9 player to go along with his grit.
Mojo , was a great finisher of the ball . Everywhere else .
Angell , I love a good old fashioned center forward . He had no technical ability but neither did Ormondroyd at Villa or Cascarino at the dozen clubs he played for. Both had good careers for people who made Neil Ruddock look like Pele .
Edit , I just found out Rodrigo was nicknamed Rodrigo Beckham after a successful modelling career . Weird .

Billy Let Down, the Russian, can’t spell his name, the name I put in suited him fine, in my opinion. To his credit he scored three or four cracking goals, but they never made up for his overall game.

Claus Thomson . I do like that sort of player . I thought he would at least have the basic skills of an under 9 player to go along with his grit.
Mojo , was a great finisher of the ball . Everywhere else .
Angell , I love a good old fashioned center forward . He had no technical ability but neither did Ormondroyd at Villa or Cascarino at the dozen clubs he played for. Both had good careers for people who made Neil Ruddock look like Pele .
Edit , I just found out Rodrigo was nicknamed Rodrigo Beckham after a successful modelling career . Weird .
Claus Thomson —— Joe Royle, when he signed him said “ I’ve had my eye on him for the last couple of seasons” You should have used your good eye Joe, the one you used was bleedin’ useless, just like Claus.

Took the words out of my mouth with Paul Power, an excellent signing, did he only stay the one season?
I was still in my teens when we bought him,and I remember thinking why are we buying this old man (well,he was 32!)who'd spent his whole career at a club who'd often struggled. He played for 2 seasons with us and then I think he went into coaching?

Bit harsh to include Cottee at least he scored a lot of goals.It was an ever changing environment at Goodison on and off the pitch during his career here.
I agree . His goal to game ratio isn't bad at all . He scored some important goals and some crackers .

I still maintain that we always meant to sign Defour instead of Fellaini, were knocked back and decided "well, fine, we'll take the other one". Defour was the one we were rumoured with for a couple weeks before Fellaini just seemingly came out of nowhere.

I always thought it would have been Defour we were in for but there's a brilliant story about how Moyes and Kenwright had to get the Fellaini deal over the line. Worth trying to find it if you can mate. For what we paid, knowing how prudent Moyes was I'd say he would have maybe liked both but I think he deffo wanted Fellaini.

Like @Eggs mentioned he just didn't look up to much early doors but he turned out to be a cracking player, excellent on the deck, great in the air, 2 footed and had a bit about him.

Deffo a cracking Moyes signing in the end

Status
Not open for further replies.