Players who took a while to settle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends what you class as a while and what you class as coming good I suppose. I think some of the names mentioned took a month or two to bed in but were never really looking like poor signings. Others maybe just naturally got better over time. There aren’t many like Iwobi who’ve had a good couple of years of being underwhelming and then turned it round.

Depends what you class as a while and what you class as coming good I suppose. I think some of the names mentioned took a month or two to bed in but were never really looking like poor signings. Others maybe just naturally got better over time. There aren’t many like Iwobi who’ve had a good couple of years of being underwhelming and then turned it round.

Just needs the right manager….

I always thought Arteta settled straight away.

Fellaini
Gravesen
Jags (he kept getting used off the bench as a midfielder for awhile)
It used to frustrate me that Gravesen came into a poor side and was trying positive things that the rest of the team couldn't read.
Tommy was a class act but it definitely took a while before we saw his full impact.

Got thinking about this in relation to Iwobi's recent form and attitude. It's also relevant to McNeil at the moment. It's very early days for him yet.

Anyway, what players from the past took a while before they showed their best?

My memory might let me down here, but I'm gonna say Gravesen and Carsley. I'm sure there's plenty of others.
Iwobi was nothing to do with settling in, he was here about 3 years before putting in anything close to a great performance.

A new position, belief from the Lampard, not bottling challenges, and putting in 100% effort at all times is the difference from him.

I remember watching the game at home and he was head and shoulders above any on else on the pitch.The only time i have seen that before was the Youth Cup Final with Rooney .
Paul McStay and John Robertson were the only other players to go on to have a career. Both legends at their respective clubs.
Soz for off topic

If the internet had been around pre Oxford game he'd have been history.
More than likely. The only way in those days was to get about the ground and ask fans to sign a petition. I was asked to sign one to sack Howard and Sir Phillip Carter. I refused as I believed Howard was at least attempting to build a football team. The rest as they say is geography.

Status
Not open for further replies.