Player sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe if he kept talking about leaving he wouldn't get his loyalty bonus.

You'd think he'd just stop saying stuff about a "new challenge" then rather than come out twice saying he wants to be here next season without anyone asking him about it. Not saying he'll definitely stay but I just find it weird.

Everton being Everton, I do wonder if we need to sell a big player to be able to fund 3 or 4 signings we want to make.

If that's the case, I think the one I'd probably go for is Coleman. Anything over £20m. I like Seamus, but he's a shadow of last season. His final ball is almost always dreadful and he's not been very effective at all in attacking areas this season. I'd be tempted to see if we could get another attacking RB in for less money and use the rest to fund some other buys.

I wouldn't want us to part with Stones, McCarthy, Barkley (in the hope that he develops a semblance of a brain for decision-making) or Lukaku. Not sure we have anyone else who is worth a fair wedge.
You would sell the one player for whom we have absolutely no back up in the entire squad? I would let Baines or Jagielka go before I sold Coleman.

The problem we have is that the players we need to shift or replace are mostly all old / obviously on the decline / monstrously crap:

Howard - decline
Alcaraz - monstrous
Distin - old / decline
Hibbert - old
Barry - old / decline
Pienaar - old / decline
Osman - old / decline
McGaedy - monstrous
Kone - old / monstrous

Of that list, there's not much that anyone would pay decent money for. Maybe Moyes would want Pienaar? I would pay £10 for Alcaraz and McGaedy to clear landlines in Angola, and I bet neither of them get a bigger offer than that. Stealing a wage, those two.

Hibbert, Osman and Distin should retire as Evertonians though. Loyal service from all three of them for absolute beards.

It pains me to see people considering selling Baines or Coleman, they have been stagnated by the manager, nobody can tell me that both of them turned crap overnight. They have been told to be more defensive this season due to the goals we were leaking earlier on. The one thing i will say is sell injury prone players like Pienaar and Gibson. Let Distin and Alcatastrophe go along with hibbert.

Promote youth players were possible and bring in a winger and a playmaker. Drastic changes arent needed just a fresh start with a manager who can change games. Hopefully Bobby can be that man.

I was thinking this last night. If we could offload Distin, Alcaraz, Mcgeady, Naismith and Oviedo (if Garbutt stays) we might be able to bring in close to 15 million. (Hopefully 10 million +).

I have tried to include people who we can realistically offload, ie people that are saleable. Oviedo and Naismith are tough ones, but I see them as "squad players" who if we received a decentish bid for (5 million). That should allow us to bring a Centre back and New Goalkeeper in.

Sell Stones, Barkley, Coleman and Lukaku for a hundred million and replace with people out of contract.

Spend the money on AI and in a few years have a new team of winners all programmed to behave and play for free.

Viva la AI premier league Champions of 2020 Everton FC.

Huzzah

I was thinking this last night. If we could offload Distin, Alcaraz, Mcgeady, Naismith and Oviedo (if Garbutt stays) we might be able to bring in close to 15 million. (Hopefully 10 million +).

I have tried to include people who we can realistically offload, ie people that are saleable. Oviedo and Naismith are tough ones, but I see them as "squad players" who if we received a decentish bid for (5 million). That should allow us to bring a Centre back and New Goalkeeper in.
You won't get a penny for Distin or Alcaraz, due to their contracts being up. Even if they weren't out of contract, Distin is 37 and Alcatraz is not a footballer.

McGeady is an interesting one - he is obviously awful, but he is a bit younger and under contract, so if the right (IE incredibly stupid) club came along, you might get as much as £4m for him. Maybe.

Oviedo... I reckon you might get £6m for him. But I would prefer to keep him - we have a lot of dross to get rid of but we ned to be wary of leaving ourselves with too thin a squad. He isn't into Gibbo-esque sick note territory yet.

Naismith is a goalscorer, pure and simple. We got £7m for Jelavic, so the same or slightly more for Naismith? Imagine that - selling Naismith for more than we paid for Mirallas :pint2:

Last edited:
You would sell the one player for whom we have absolutely no back up in the entire squad? I would let Baines or Jagielka go before I sold Coleman.

Contingent on a replacement (preferably and a back-up) being brought in with the money.

Neither Baines nor Jags would command a big enough fee to enable us to do any major squad rebuilding.

Have to factor in that we have a number of ageing players in the squad who people either won't want or simply won't bring any money in if we sold

Proper "saleable" assets are probably limited to:

Coleman
Stones
McCarthy
Barkley
Lukaku
Mirallas (and even his value is declining rapidly with his contract situation).

Other than that, I'd say every individual in the squad is worth less than £10m, so if we really do need to sell a "big one", you're limited to the six above. I'd prefer to keep all of them, but we know from experience of Rooney, Lescott, Fellaini and even Rodwell that occasionally this si the sort of thing we do

Hibbert, Osman and Distin should retire as Evertonians though. Loyal service from all three of them for absolute beards.

Hibbert and Osman yes, Distin no. There are players still here that have been around for a good fee years longer than him already.

Hibbert and Osman yes, Distin no. There are players still here that have been around for a good fee years longer than him already.

How long someone's been here is irrelevant.

Hibbert and Osman have another 12 months on their contracts. Hibbo might choose to hang his boots up this Summer, though I'd say that's unlikely unless he thinks he can't stay match fit on a regular basis.

Ossie's just back from injury and, barring some unforseeable twist, will certainly be here next season. People need to deal with the reality of the situation and not get into the realms of fantasy

I can see these going/getting sold

Distin
Alcaraz
Howard
McGeady
Naismith

That means we need to sign a GK, winger, centre back and a number 10 at the minimum.

First team:-

Stay: Robles, Baines, Gibson (last year of his deal), Jagielka, Oviedo (a new contract), Lukaku, Mirallas (a new contract), Naismith, McCarthy, Besic, Barry, Barkley, Osman, (last year of his deal), Pienaar (last year of his deal), Coleman, Howard, Stones, Browning, Garbutt (a new contract).

Release: Distin, Alcaraz (contract expired).

Sold: Hibbert (free transfer or retire), McGeady (£3.5m), Kone (£2m).

Loan return: Atsu, Lennon.

The only players I can see going are Distin and Pienaar. Maybe one of our 'star players' may go also, if the money is right.

Really we need to bring players in/sort contracts out. We need cover for Coleman, another forward (although Martinez as said he's not looking to bring one in), Mirallas and Garbutt signed up, and Barrys' contract renegotiated so he doesn't automatically get to play every single game, regardless of how poor he's played in previous games.

How long someone's been here is irrelevant.

Hibbert and Osman have another 12 months on their contracts. Hibbo might choose to hang his boots up this Summer, though I'd say that's unlikely unless he thinks he can't stay match fit on a regular basis.

Ossie's just back from injury and, barring some unforseeable twist, will certainly be here next season. People need to deal with the reality of the situation and not get into the realms of fantasy

My response was in response to the suggestion that Osman, Hibbert and Distin need to retire as Evertonians because they've already been at the club 'for beards'.

I was merely saying there are many players that have been here longer than Distin. Plus, he'll never be an Evertonian, whereas Osman and Hibbert clearly are

Status
Not open for further replies.