Platini - "Everton - say No to foreign investment!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero

Player Valuation: £30m
Uefa president Michel Platini says clubs like Everton can succeed without foreign investment.
A number of high profile takeovers of Premier League sides have led to concerns about the level of money coming into the English game. Speaking at Liverpool's Echo Arena ahead of Wednesday night's National Football Hall of Fame awards evening, Platini expressed his concerns about the number of top flight foreign owners, admitting rival clubs must now find alternative ways to succeed.

Toffees chairman Bill Kenwright recently revealed he has long been searching a 'billionaire' investor. Asked whether Everton should take that route Platini said: "There is two ways. One is if Everton become more rich and richer than the other [clubs], the other is that they are Everton.
"I don't think [money] is the only thing that will decide the future of their football. The education of youth players that can play at Everton? I think so. I believe in that."

Platini, who succeeded long-standing Uefa president Lennart Johansson in January 2007, has recently backed the 6+5 rule, which would restrict top European clubs to fielding five foreign players at a time.
Should the idea be implemented English clubs would be among the most affected, but the Frenchman is adamant it would be for the good of the game.

"The Premier League is so successful because money can bring the best players in the world," he said. "I don't like that everybody is coming in because I would like that some players would play in their own country."
Source:http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archive/platini-s-investment-warning.html

What a ****.

Last edited:
Well i wouldnt mind not getting invested in - that is if all the other clubs dont get invested in at the same time!!! If we didnt get invested in, we would be left behind, i mean, atm we are poorer than sunderland are!!! Platini cant make an argument like that for a team who is in the premier league.

"The Premier League is so successful because money can bring the best players in the world," he said. "I don't like that everybody is coming in because I would like that some players would play in their own country."

It would be interesting to compare how many players in the English national side play in the Premiership, compared to Italian players who play in Serie A, Spanish Players who play in La Liga etc...

Pretty sure that's been done Danny. Can't find the article but the PL does do worse than both La Liga and Serie A. As I've said dozens of times, another big problem is that so few of our players go abroad to play.

Lend us a few bob then Platini.

It would be interesting to compare how many players in the English national side play in the Premiership, compared to Italian players who play in Serie A, Spanish Players who play in La Liga etc...

I think its something like 60-70% of players in the Itallian and Spanish leagues teams are home grown, bit rough on the percentage but it was in the paper a few weeks back and there were a lot of home grown players compared to ours.

For the president of Uefa he's not clued up on the English game is he? Its not about the fact we dont nurture homegrown talant, its about keeping the club running as a business in the top flight. Its not only down to players and getting talant in, its about paying their wages, expanding the profile, running the ground, sponsorship etc etc we dont have a pot to piss in half the time.

He practically says if we sell we wont be Everton anymore. So is that the same for EVERY SINGLE PREM CLUB UNDER FOREIGN OWNERSHIP?

Anyway, its their fault for all this. If they didnt introduce the Champions League and pumped all the money into it, clubs wouldnt be getting carried away with spending over the odds on players to try and win the competition.

I hope he's not giving Kenwright some ideas.

Pretty sure that's been done Danny. Can't find the article but the PL does do worse than both La Liga and Serie A. As I've said dozens of times, another big problem is that so few of our players go abroad to play.

They're not interested and they probably think the players arent good enough. I mean, Madrid and others were after Ronaldo but no foreign team has even sniffed around Rooney ever since he went to Manure.

I think only Lampard and Gerrard or only players that foreign teams would like to buy really. Everyone else, they've already got players as talanted or better in their squads.

Which is strange being that English players used to be sort after across the world almost up untill 1999-2000 or there abouts, Beckham being the last english player to pack his bag and do one. Most players before then either left and failed -- Woodgate, Owen spring to mind.

Last edited:
Quite. People always chastise Wenger when he says that he picks his team on ability rather than nationality, with the suggestion being that English players aren't good enough, but it would appear to be just that.

Quite. People always chastise Wenger when he says that he picks his team on ability rather than nationality, with the suggestion being that English players aren't good enough, but it would appear to be just that.
If our own clubs have little confidence in the ability of British not just English players why would any one else? apart from Barry and Keane at Liverpool there were not really any of the so called sky 4 snooping around our teams for players(English)I think a lot of this is due to foreign players costing less and payments being spread out like Fellini's was.

Iv got a good idea for Platini......

Give us you top of the range merc, an drive a Astra. Give us your £1m House an live in a terrece of Scotty Rd. An no more shopping in M&S, Aldi for you mate.....

See how you [Poor language removed] like it!! We need investment badly, were falling away to quick. It's not the owners who give the club it's identity, it's the fans!! All ways has been, all ways will be.

So because his big,fat ,rich an famous he's not Platini anymore.

[Poor language removed] cock-sucker, he's as bad as that other belter Blatter. How on earth do these people get to lead such important industries.

Iv got a good idea for Platini......

Give us you top of the range merc, an drive a Astra. Give us your £1m House an live in a terrece of Scotty Rd. An no more shopping in M&S, Aldi for you mate.....

See how you [Poor language removed] like it!! We need investment badly, were falling away to quick. It's not the owners who give the club it's identity, it's the fans!! All ways has been, all ways will be.

So because his big,fat ,rich an famous he's not Platini anymore.

[Poor language removed] cock-sucker, he's as bad as that other belter Blatter. How on earth do these people get to lead such important industries.

I agree completely. The Platini that I respected and adored wore boots, not suits.

I agree completely. The Platini that I respected and adored wore boots, not suits.
I think its a plan by Blatter to reduce the success our clubs are having in Europe as every scheme that they bring up its our league that seems to be affected most:mad:

Good idea that Platini.

Ok, we'll continue to try and make it on our own as we have so often before.

Oh, but what about the teams that DO have billonnaire investor/owners?

Platini completely misses the mark because the cat's already out of the bag. Therefore, either the current owners sell (not gonna happen) or the Everton's of the world, in order to compete in the transfer market, go get a billionnaire investor.

Reality check sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.