Phil Jagielka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those saying it could have been worse (loss of Lukaku or Barkley or Stones) are spot on.

Jagielka is a decent enough centre back but nowhere near irreplaceable. Funes Mori steps in there no problem. And it's not as if we'll struggle to replace his organisational or leadership qualities.

I believe we'll be unaffected by this particular loss.

Reluctantly I think you are correct. Unfortunately for us Martinez seems very close to Jagielka and I don't think would ever willingly drop him. Often though the bets formations/combinations are stumbled upon. When he went off yesterday we looked at our most solid. Fumes Mori seems to have better distribution than him and is better aerially.

A lot of Evertonians make me laugh. I saw Toffee TV do a combined 11 show for the Redmen tv (Liverpool) and some manc channel. In Both their teams they said Stones/Jagielka. It was their logic that baffled me though when they said "they come as a partnership, and therefore are more than their individual sums".

The problem is Stones and Jagielka have never looked right as a partnership. They don't seem to compliment each other. Worryingly Jagielka seems to struggle to find partnerships with a number of players. He never did with Heitinga, struggled with Distin and now with Stones. Maybe we need to consider Jagielka may be the issue? (I remember in the Heitinga days I always felt he and Distin were the best partnership we had even if Jagielka was a superior defender).

Stones and Fumes Mori look more comfortable together. I think this injury could be a blessing. I worry about the lack of experience we have in the team being the only thing I can say Jagielka would bring. In many ways is remains a centre half with fantastic attributes. He throws his body on the line, is great and blocks and man marking a player but they are not attributes we get tested on anymore. Sides have worked us out and throw balls into the box. We then have a goalkeeper who won't come for anything, a 21 year old cultured centre half and Jagielka who is not the most dominant in the air. Something has to give.

Of course we will miss him - he's an England centre back of good repute.

Now those detractors in the summer that cried "why are we spending 9 million on an unknown CB" will have to say RM made a great decision to go after Mori - after all, he does look like he is an excellent player for now and the future, and of course now, a godsend to have in the squad with Jags sidelined.

I guess we were due an injury as we were getting perilously close to being able to field our first choice XI....and we know that's never allowed at Everton.
The 'easier' run of fixtures should gives Mori a good chance to settle in. Maybe even Galloway will get a chance so CB too when Baines returns.

Big fan of Jagielka but and its a big but ... This could be a opportunity for Mori the same way that last time Jags was injured became one for Stones - and he showed enough then to make the transition from Distin to him an easy one when Distin fell off the clff, IF Jags is out longer - Mori excels and if Jags struggles when he comes back then it could be the passing of the guard to a younger player - and honestly it isn't neccesarily the worst of things to happen

Within the next year to two then none of Jagielka, Barry or Howard should be anything more than a squad/backup if we want to capitalise on the incredible younger players we have already established and on the verge of coming through

My hope is that by the end of the season we are starting stones and mori at cb and cleverley and mccarthy in the centre and Robles has replaced Howard whilst we target a genuine quality keeper to bring in during the summer

we do that and i will have a lot of faith that Martinez won't let sentimentality or fear of changing parts of the team with established veteran players in from holding progression back

pretty much what i said on sat,and what most probably thought the injury would be,said about 6 months myself,so 8 to 9 weeks will be close to it lol the way martinez lies how long players are out for.

Jags is a great reader of the game and tackler. If he has a weakness it is defo in the air especially under challenge. When we have Baines, Coleman, Jags and Howard in the defence then we will always be prone to giving away goals from crosses. It shows what work that Lescott and Distin had to do with crosses. Stones is not close being dominant in the air as of yet. We have yet not been able to snuff out crosses at source when in open play. We defend quite narrowly nowadays and this gives wingers and wing backs time and space to cross.

Reluctantly I think you are correct. Unfortunately for us Martinez seems very close to Jagielka and I don't think would ever willingly drop him. Often though the bets formations/combinations are stumbled upon. When he went off yesterday we looked at our most solid. Fumes Mori seems to have better distribution than him and is better aerially.

A lot of Evertonians make me laugh. I saw Toffee TV do a combined 11 show for the Redmen tv (Liverpool) and some manc channel. In Both their teams they said Stones/Jagielka. It was their logic that baffled me though when they said "they come as a partnership, and therefore are more than their individual sums".

The problem is Stones and Jagielka have never looked right as a partnership. They don't seem to compliment each other. Worryingly Jagielka seems to struggle to find partnerships with a number of players. He never did with Heitinga, struggled with Distin and now with Stones. Maybe we need to consider Jagielka may be the issue? (I remember in the Heitinga days I always felt he and Distin were the best partnership we had even if Jagielka was a superior defender).

Stones and Fumes Mori look more comfortable together. I think this injury could be a blessing. I worry about the lack of experience we have in the team being the only thing I can say Jagielka would bring. In many ways is remains a centre half with fantastic attributes. He throws his body on the line, is great and blocks and man marking a player but they are not attributes we get tested on anymore. Sides have worked us out and throw balls into the box. We then have a goalkeeper who won't come for anything, a 21 year old cultured centre half and Jagielka who is not the most dominant in the air. Something has to give.

Mate, with respect, this is at best a very bizarre post.

The problem is Stones and Jagielka have never looked right as a partnership. They don't seem to compliment each other.

How don't they compliment each other? One a 'stopper' who puts his body on the line, old-school if you like. Almost Vidic-like. Stones is more Ferdinand like, more graceful but not as good a defender (no-one seems to be noting that Stones watched Giroud slowly leave him for the opening goal, failing to track him).

In short, they've shown they are a very good blend of talent, Jagielka and Stones.

He never did with Heitinga, struggled with Distin and now with Stones.

We conceded only 39 goals in Martinez's first season. Jagielka and Distin. 40 goals conceded for Moyes final 2 seasons.
If that's not the definition of a mean defence and a good partnership, I dont know what is.

Stones and Fumes Mori look more comfortable together.

Based on the game against Arsenal? I'd agree, don't get me wrong, but it's hardly a decent gauge of where they are at as a partnership.

I don't think we should be fearing Jagielka's absence, but at the same time to dismiss his good form over the last 12 months and raise concerns with his ability to form effective partnerships is, as stated above, bizarre.

Those saying it could have been worse (loss of Lukaku or Barkley or Stones) are spot on.

Jagielka is a decent enough centre back but nowhere near irreplaceable. Funes Mori steps in there no problem. And it's not as if we'll struggle to replace his organisational or leadership qualities.

I believe we'll be unaffected by this particular loss.

Lets see how affected we are when Mori or Stones gets injured and we are playing Barry or Hibbert at CB.

SMFH

He's been blowing hot and cold.. mainly cold since he went to the World cup in 2014 when he had a poor tournament anyway. Never been the same since but still our best defender when he's in form.

He's been off the boil since he went to the World cup in 2014 when he had a poor tournament anyway. Never been the same since but still our best defender when he's in form.

To be honest, I thought he was hung out to dry a bit by the World Cup when none of them did us proud and he was pilloried in the press. I think hes had an season so far especially with the young lads coming in and Howard flapping behind him. I hope Mori comes good....hes hardly out of the packet yet but shows promise.

Personally think that along with lukaku, he was the one player who we could least afford to lose through injury. Those saying it's ok cos we've got mori, off the back of a couple of half decent performances are crackers in my opinion. Has been a consistent leader in a very inexperienced defence this season and was player of the year last season. Could be proved wrong and we excel without him but I very much doubt it

Status
Not open for further replies.