Penalty taker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pointless thread. If Baines missed then this thread would asking why Lukaku never took it. It was a penalty save by probably the best keeper in the country. We have to get over it as a penalty is not a certain goal.

Pointless - the very opposite; it needs saying; Lukaku is the worst, most unconvincing penalty taker in the Club, then Miralles...and Martinez puts up with it...and Kenwright puts up with him

Easy to be wise after the event; hands up those who knew, just knew! Rom would miss it
*Raises Hand.

Even if he scored I knew there would be no comeback of Trebilcock Proportions.

Then by a fluke we do get out of jail - we're a team set up to give goals away

Pluses? Gibson;Stones also got his Mojo back - for today anyway.

Last edited:
His penalty against WHU was crap and today's was crap.

No way should he be penalty taker. He does not respect the process. Underhit, telegraphed, nonchalent efforts.
Our corner taking and penalty kicks and free kicks have been poor all season and they are never fixed.

Poor game management by RM!!

Always thought his pens have been iffy. Problem is he was given them to massage his ego and goalscoring rate last season - so not what was best for the team - a Baines thunderbolt into the top corner but an attempt to increase Rom's strike rate.

Baines is a way better penalty taker. I knew he was going to miss before he stepped up today, he telegraphs where he's going to put them.

Yet more tactical genius from Martinez

In fairness Rom took it as I would. Pyarr blast it at him but got to give De Gea credit was a sound save, but baines should always be pen taker

Fed up Baines being a complete whithouse. He should never have agreed to have the penalties taken off him in the first place when he has such a great record and also he never steps up to volunteer when we need a captain. If Jagielka hadn't played today then Osman probably would have started just so he could wear the armband, Baines apparently doesn't even want to be vice-captain because he doesn't like being vocal. Grow a pair lad or sod off, we want winners and straight-talkers here.

Think you'll find baines himself handed over pen duty to rom
Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, his comment came out a while after the change. Anyway the point is the manager should decide and the basis for that decision should be down to one thing only who is the best taker of penalties. It isn't Lukaku.

@mkrudden posted the link to an interview with Baines who said he had chosen to give fhem to Lukaku so he could have more goals + would build his confidence.

In my opinion lukaku hasnt been a good penalty taker at all and im never confident with him.

For me also, Baines doesnt make that decision Martinez does...perhaps Baines has simply refused to take them?

If not baines then id tell barkley to go and smash them.

Status
Not open for further replies.