Penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafEvertonian

Player Valuation: £10m
Fantastic as we well know, we are becoming peno kings.

Anyone else notice how many defensive players we used for it?

Apart from Arteta i think the rest were defensive players, Baines, Neville, Jagielka, Hetinga. Further more it seemed to work pretty well ( bar Baines, who I'd swear would go top shelf usually) for us. Are defensive players better suited for it? Or is that just at Everton? Remember that Anelka ( striker) has his peno saved and I remember Saha having a penalty saved along with the Yak against Florentina.

I suppose it is all about composure and our defense is pretty experienced, but I just found it odd that we use our back-line players to take peno's....and credit to em it worked! :lol:

Yak's penalty taking is pretty atrocious. He smashes the ball and it looks great if it goes in but too often his accuracy fails him.

Arteta is accurate and never misses He could hit the top corner 9 times out of 10. Neville has been a large number of big games so it doesn't faze him. Jags was Sheff Utd's pen taker.

Saying that defensive players are better well would you want any of Chelsea's back line taking a pen? Also judging this because Anelka missed a couple tries a whole different story. He has composure and skills. He just flat out doesn't care.

It could be that our more attack minded players are hardly brimming with confidence in front of goal this season. Example, with his technique you would have put Billy down for a pen but I doubt he fancied it.

Billy said on his twitter that he would have been 6th behind Nev...worked out in the end of course but I would still like to see Bill smash one right in the top left corner.

Apart from Arteta i think the rest were defensive players, Baines, Neville, Jagielka, Hetinga. Further more it seemed to work pretty well ( bar Baines, who I'd swear would go top shelf usually) for us. Are defensive players better suited for it? Or is that just at Everton? Remember that Anelka ( striker) has his peno saved and I remember Saha having a penalty saved along with the Yak against Florentina.

I suppose it is all about composure and our defense is pretty experienced, but I just found it odd that we use our back-line players to take peno's....and credit to em it worked! :lol:

Peno Kings? Did we not lose out on a penalty shoot out in the League Cup?

Billy said on his twitter that he would have been 6th behind Nev...worked out in the end of course but I would still like to see Bill smash one right in the top left corner.

Agreed, do his confidence the world of good. I really want this guy to come good. I firmly believe that a confident Billy playing behind the striker (ie in the middle of the park) would change many peoples opinion of him. Will it happen under Moyes though????

Yis Lad . I DID NOTICE ...

I didn't look after we'd both scored 2 ...

I never knew Cashley MISSED rather than it was saved , until 12 o'clock last night .

We took the first English penalty in European Competition , indeed ANY penalty in European Competition , so it stands to reason we should be getting better at it by now ...!!!

Lord. I don't how I would have felt about this. On one hand, he has a killer shot that smokes. On the other, not known for his confidence and assurance right now, and this would have been a pressure cooker situation. If he had made it, it would have been great for him. But I wouldn't have left our last peno to Bily. If it had gone to 6th I might have had Fellaini or Seamus take it. Or maybe even Distin. In that situation composure and accuracy would have mattered more to me than speed & angles. Just too much pressure for someone who has bowed under it before.

No harm on Bily, just a thought that came to me after I read this. I would have had a different objection to Leon - who I don't think could have released a steamer, so I wouldn't have wanted him in there either.

And NO VIC.

It would have been great to see Bily celebrating though.

I thought it at the time, they are wheelin out strikers and we are sending another defender, I must admit that I lost count and didnt realise Nevilles was the last one until the celebration, he ran over to their stand that had been giving him stick all game as well.... with no shirt on !!
10228465.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.