Pat Van Den Hauwe appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Staff member
Hi folks. I was going to do Pat Nevin next, but the I remembered we had an even better Pat. So, in a series of threads that could easily be called "gentlemen me and my dad fell in love with", I give you the original psycho.

Any man who scores the goal that clinches a title (our most recent), and played in arguably our best ever tam deserves the title of legend in my opinion. Born in Belgium, but growing up in the UK meant he could take his pick of the national sides, so picked Wales (I assume after big Nev and Rats got in his ear) to avoid Belgian national service.

Here's the goal that clinched the 1987 league title.

I'm sure someone can find the anecdote involving him and the '80's squad in a hotel on a pre-season tour......

Discuss away.....

;)

He was awesome. Very much underestimated as @Eggs said. There is a story, that I really want to be true, of him and Stuart Pearce going in for a 50/50 tackle. The sharp intake of breath from all corners of the ground could be clearly heard as grown men looked away in horror.

...he was such a class act, though, that you rarely saw him kicking opposition players. I know Sharp and Gray wound him up about his hard man image and he wasn't averse to throwing a punch in the tunnel. I remember Tony Cottam saying he shared a room with him during their Birmingham days and VdH would sleep sitting up in bed with his eyes wide open. Scary.

The ladies liked him.

Known for his....well, his tendency for homicidal violence, but was some player. Any of us that we're lucky enough to witness the great times of the mid 80"s will have nothing but affection for psycho Pat.
He also gave speedy such a crack during the Chelsea game it was heard right round the ground, the ref wasn't watching, there was a loud bang, the crowd went "oooooh" and that little rat was laid out cold.
A fearless and fast left back who was involved in many a goal and was also super dependable.

The celebrations at the end of the Norwich match!

Everton-Fans-celebrate-at-007.jpg

Seem to remember playing Luton after we were presented with the Championship trophy and they decided to turn it into a kicking contest for some reason as it wasn't their normal modus operandi.

Their right back gave one of our softer lads a battering and Pat waited 10 mins then put in a waist high tackle that put the poor lemon over the hoardings in front of the Bullens Road.

Very much and eye for an eye type of guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.