Our midfield far too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine Brands allowing Gueye to go on the cheap, buying a complete unknown for more than what we received for Gueye, and settling on that as our midfield for the season. What a kin idiot the fella is. Quickly coming round to the idea that he is indeed, as @davek says, an utterly useless tool.

Then..
  • Spending shedloads on Arsenal reject Iwobi
  • Failing to buy a proven striker for three transfer windows
  • Thinking our centre back options of Keane, Holgate and Mina was good enough

Gana wasn't sold cheap. He had a year left and he was 31.

No one expected Gmabin to explode into bits.

We bought Iwobi cos the Zaha deal fell through. We sold Lookman and were light on the wings.

Yes about the striker but DLC and Richy have got 10+ a piece.

Holgate, Mina, Keane is fine. We needed just a backup option. Also, Gmabin can play CB.

And to be fair, I'm happy we didn't get a new striker or Zouma for eg as Holgate or DCL maybe wouldn't have broken through. Carlo rates both massively too.

People are mistaking pace with aggression and tenacity.

When you lack fight you look slow and laboured.

Unless they mean the wingers.

For me midfield is the middle of the park, DM/CM/AM.

Wingers are forwards.

It's the ability to press and harass for 90mins. Not one of our midfield can.

Carlsley, Gravesen, Gana, even Pip Neville could ffs. None of them had pace but would hunt for 90mins

The cone layer knew this and threw Holgate and Iwobi in midfield just for legs. Even then is pulled up Silva's conditioning of the players.

Imagine Brands allowing Gueye to go on the cheap, buying a complete unknown for more than what we received for Gueye, and settling on that as our midfield for the season. What a kin idiot the fella is. Quickly coming round to the idea that he is indeed, as @davek says, an utterly useless tool.

Then..
  • Spending shedloads on Arsenal reject Iwobi
  • Failing to buy a proven striker for three transfer windows
  • Thinking our centre back options of Keane, Holgate and Mina was good enough
Yes we were 1 CB short. However if we had spent big on a new CB last summer, Holgate would have started season as 4th choice, and got little if any game time.

While a gamble no doubt, this is one gamble that has paid off. We just need to find somebody competent to pair him with next season now.

Our midfield is a busted flush.

No.1 priority was to get a top coach. Job done.
Now it should be to find a midfielder (or two) to build a side around
The type of player others can get structure and direction from, will work off that player or work of the player that's working off him
Know what they need to do and will work that extra bit harder bc of it - when you've got this going it obvious when a player is not putting in.

There's no way Carlo will be able to take this midfield to a CL spot.
At the moment, its just a wing (Richo), a Holgate and a prayer.

The lack of being able to control the ball too, need 3 touches and 5 minutes to steady themselves. Then trip over.
I heard the midfield are being used in empathy training for married middle aged men.

Watch them and experience prolonged periods of crying, a few highs, feelings of inadequacy and that everything I has passed you by. And when someone rushes past Keane that's a hot flush right there.

Gentlemen it's a way to understand the menopause.

Id support Carlo even if we lost every game the rest of the season.

However, for a pragmatic manager I am amazed he has gone with a pee weak midfield 4 in several tough away games.

It is clearly our weakest link (apart from the comedy keeper). We need to pack/protect the centre mid in these types of games, especially with Gomes
nowhere near match fit.

There is simply no way on the planet Big Dunc picks that mid 4.

It's our biggest problem. If you are playing 442 especially you can't carry anyone you need athletes whi can get up and down and protect the back four then spring .

Our midfield was way too slow.....

Gomes not match fit.....Sigurdsson too slow......Davies tried hard.........Bernard injury prone......

We never looked capable of a comeback, we were outplayed,outrun,out fought & out for the count when the second goal when in.....

Pickford just seems to get beaten too easily for me.....

The other problem with a slow midfield is that the high press when we did it was pretty much ineffective....

At least Walcott has pace but he only lasts 60mins...

Why is Baningime or Gordon not being given more game time.....

It certainly seems to be a problem especially away from home.....

The only players who have pace are DCL, Richarlison, Holgate, Iwobi, Kean and Walcott. Iwobi and Kean have been barely seen this season and Walcott might have the pace, but doesn’t have the footballing brain to utilise it fully. I thought the likes of Ian Wilson and Mark Pembridge was slow, but that starting midfield at chelsea was probably the slowest I’ve ever seen in my lifetime of watching the blues. All 4 of them looked like they were running in sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.