Our Fans Are The Best Of The Best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really, the fans of the 80s showed their disapproval by not attending the game, it was for the greater good of the club showing that what was being served up wasn’t acceptable.

We’ve rewarded successive regimes of failure with full houses. Where’s the incentive to change when your fans will accept anything? Why invest in the team if your fans will stay pay to watch utter rubbish?
As far as I am concerned people didn’t stop attending as a form of protest , it was just boredom and cost during recessions and high unemployment that drove attendances down
They mostly averaged in the 20000s in the decade before and all clubs suffered what would be considered low attendances during that era it wasn’t specific to Everton in any way.

That wouldn’t be supporting the club however.
Definition of a supporter is someone who sticks by their team through good times and bad , through feast and famine.
You choose to stop attending the games and you lose the right to claim yourself as a supporter in any meaningful way.
This is a great question that deserves a thread really. Are fans who don’t go the game “real” fans. I’d like to see that study carried out on this fine website.

What we have been through? We are not entitled to anything. The only reason most of the fans stick to going to the match is because they don't have anything more productive to do with their pathetic lives other than waste time and money watching a team that they already know are terrible, then moan about the experience afterwards. Bunch of morons, the lot of them.

How was that for a reply? Too much? I was trying to be a bit more like @chicoazul but feel I may have overdone it a bit.
Thought you handled that really well. Bravo.

As far as I am concerned people didn’t stop attending as a form of protest , it was just boredom and cost during recessions and high unemployment that drove attendances down
They mostly averaged in the 20000s in the decade before and all clubs suffered what would be considered low attendances during that era it wasn’t specific to Everton in any way.

The cost of the game was far lower back then though, it was affordable for a lot of people who could also buy on walk ups. The season ticket model has worked wonders in locking fans into watching rubbish but it’s a huge outlay for a lot of fans yet people keep paying it season after season.

This is a great question that deserves a thread really. Are fans who don’t go the game “real” fans. I’d like to see that study carried out on this fine website.
First thing to point out is that if you are able to attend the game but choose not to you can not really be described as a supporter because you have to all intents and purposes ceased to support the club in any meaningful way.
If circumstances such as finance , distance or health prevent you from attending that is a different matter.
It’s choice that makes the difference between a supporter and a follower.
In my opinion anyway.

First thing to point out is that if you are able to attend the game but choose not to you can not really be described as a supporter because you have to all intents and purposes ceased to support the club in any meaningful way.
If circumstances such as finance , distance or health prevent you from attending that is a different matter.
It’s choice that makes the difference between a supporter and a follower.
In my opinion anyway.
Fair. I feel we need a thread for this? Any takers?

Fair. I feel we need a thread for this? Any takers?
I think more relevant is the fact that the TV revenue outstrips that from match goers to such an extent that its claimed Premier league clubs could survive without ticket sales. I've no idea if that is true but if it is it makes us largely irrelevant.

I remember 30 years ago. The question do you go the game was paramount to any football opinion. Now any one that watches sky in their armchair is a 'fan'.

We're surely not that self obsessed to call ourselves best fans in the world? Why would you want that recognition? There are millions of fans of clubs all around the world, who live, breathe and die for their clubs.

Of course there are a lot of self entitled glory hunting fake modern football fans following the big clubs, but even there will always be that hardcore support that will maintain no matter what.

No doubt a lot of the 'real' fans at other clubs feel like they suffered disproportionate compared to others. Have also endured more than enough of my fair share following my Dutch local team. Is there a pattern to be seen? In the end I wouldn't have changed it though, given the chance. It's been character building for sure.

Agree on the point that the Everton support at either home games and away travels is absolutely superb though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.