Old Everton Pictures

9th April 1964. William "Dixie" Dean, the ex Everton and England goalscoring legend, the best centre forward of his time, he is best remembered for his 60 goals in 39 league matches in season 1927-1928.-
1590669794065.png

Berlin, Germany, 24th May, 1932, Everton's-- Dixie Dean signs autographs for young children before a friendly match with a German representative team in Berlin, which resulted in a 2-2 draw- this is the game EFC under Dixies orders would not perform the Nazi salute before kick off -
View attachment 88635
Off topic, but does anyone know why the two visits to Hitler's Germany in four years? Was the Foreign Office, in furtherance of appeasement, using football clubs for this end? And if so, who within our club's hierarchy was the point of contact with the FO?

Everton 1961-62 squad. The managerial/coaching team is Les Shannon (ex-LFC & Burnley player), Gordon Watson, Harry Catterick and Tom Eggleston - I seen Gabby play never realised how tall he was hence the Catt playing him at no 9 on occasions - I can name some of them can any one name that team in full? photo by Rob Sawyer a great photo -
1590670687749.png

Off topic, but does anyone know why the two visits to Hitler's Germany in four years? Was the Foreign Office, in furtherance of appeasement, using football clubs for this end? And if so, who within our club's hierarchy was the point of contact with the FO?
Those visits did not go without incident for our players 3 got put in jail one night - they did not take kindly to not carrying out the Nazi salute - out for a pint, and arrested I think Dixie was amongst it all - the club got them out of jail within hours after a few bits of pushing and shoving and thrown punches.....- I thin you are right Major it was an attempt for Great Britain to appease Germany at that time....

Last edited:

Berlin, Germany, 24th May, 1932, Everton's-- Dixie Dean signs autographs for young children before a friendly match with a German representative team in Berlin, which resulted in a 2-2 draw- this is the game EFC under Dixies orders would not perform the Nazi salute before kick off -
View attachment 88635
I didn't know about that piece of information Joey (Good on yer mate). It also proves that Dixie was not only a marvellous striker, but also
a man of principles. I seem to remember something about Stan Cullis (Wolves & England captain) being involved with something similar in 1936.