Old Everton Pictures

f67e7cdb20be4c78db480a2f35598ed4--everton-lyon.jpg

Another very unlucky player:

'68 Cup Final - unused sub
'70 - didn't play enough games to be awarded a Championship medal despite deputising for Labone on the run in.
Mid-70s - picked for England squad but left on the subs bench despite Revie promising he would bring him on.

I remember reading Alan Gowling's autobiography (!) and he wrote about the toughest central defenders he played against, mentioning all the usual names but then said that the toughest combination was the Roger Kenyon/Mick Lyons duo for Everton - it was always a battle against them, hard but fair. That said, Kenyon did perpetrate one of the worst fouls I can remember from an Everton player pre-Bruce Rioch, when he took out a QPR player at Goodison, think it had been brewing for some time, and somehow avoided being sent off.

Another very unlucky player:

'68 Cup Final - unused sub
'70 - didn't play enough games to be awarded a Championship medal despite deputising for Labone on the run in.
Mid-70s - picked for England squad but left on the subs bench despite Revie promising he would bring him on.

I remember reading Alan Gowling's autobiography (!) and he wrote about the toughest central defenders he played against, mentioning all the usual names but then said that the toughest combination was the Roger Kenyon/Mick Lyons duo for Everton - it was always a battle against them, hard but fair. That said, Kenyon did perpetrate one of the worst fouls I can remember from an Everton player pre-Bruce Rioch, when he took out a QPR player at Goodison, think it had been brewing for some time, and somehow avoided being sent off.
Didn't he grow a beard because he had been in a bad car smash and was severely scarred?