Old Everton Pictures

That game stayed in my mind as a youth for ever the atmosphere the amount of blues in the Kop the anfield road end just continually chanting Champions Champions non stop the whole of the 2nd half they hardly got a kick - don't forget they had an outside chance of overtaking us, tbf a couple of kopites by me in the Kop before the end stated my that midfield is making us a cracking team!
grumbling looks like thats won you it now;)
I can hear my dad talking about it in reading your post!!

That game stayed in my mind as a youth for ever the atmosphere the amount of blues in the Kop the anfield road end just continually chanting Champions Champions non stop the whole of the 2nd half they hardly got a kick - don't forget they had an outside chance of overtaking us, tbf a couple of kopites by me in the Kop before the end stated my that midfield is making us a cracking team!
grumbling looks like thats won you it now;)

At that game myself probably the best derby I've been to, remember getting in the anie road end early and plonking myself behind a crush barrier because there was plenty of room thinking this is great but there was a reason that people left that space, as the crowd surged forward I was crushed up against the barrier managed to get my hands up in front of my chest suffice to say I moved away sharpish total mayhen in the anie road end in those days. I have a memory of the anie end being a bit like the kop but a bit small ie one large stand like the kop can anyone remember this or is my memory playing tricks on me.
BB

@macavennie
iPad playing up abroad so can't quote your post. Iirc the new stand was a little dearer than the Bullens. Would have to check old programmes to be certain. My dad went off the Bullens after years in there in the 1950s so much preferred the Goodison Road side. He would not have paid loads more though. He was just frustrated at them mucking up the views for so many in what was meant to be an iconic stand. It was in many ways but those pillars where a shame from the word go.

cheers mate, I wasn't sure if you meant to post or not a response so left it. A shame that really isn't it and I wonder if we could have ever gone back and revisited the design to fix the issue.

cheers mate, I wasn't sure if you meant to post or not a response so left it. A shame that really isn't it and I wonder if we could have ever gone back and revisited the design to fix the issue.

I read somewhere yonks ago macca originally the stand was going to be a cantilever,would have cost around 30 grand to achieve this,remember we were champions at the time,the board renaged on this and we are left as today with the obstructed views,another poor decision by our board unfortunately.

umrnd6.jpg

Bryan Hamilton for Everton v Arsenal 1976 in a goalless draw.

The state of the Arsenal defender's hair there!

I read somewhere yonks ago macca originally the stand was going to be a cantilever,would have cost around 30 grand to achieve this,remember we were champions at the time,the board renaged on this and we are left as today with the obstructed views,another poor decision by our board unfortunately.

that would have looked immense as a cantilever stand wouldn't it mate. I would have thought at the time with Moores backing Everton financially that they wouldn't have cut such corners.

I can't wait to see our new stadium getting built from scratch, the new build of the Park End wasn't exactly an exciting one was it lol

that would have looked immense as a cantilever stand wouldn't it mate. I would have thought at the time with Moores backing Everton financially that they wouldn't have cut such corners.

I can't wait to see our new stadium getting built from scratch, the new build of the Park End wasn't exactly an exciting one was it lol
I know macca,one of John Moores real errors that one,we had the chance to really kick on then as Goodison was widely acknowledged as the premier club ground in the country,(three years previously to the beginning of the construction we hosted a World Cup Semi Final),as for the Park End,NSNO oh no it wasn't:)

At that game myself probably the best derby I've been to, remember getting in the anie road end early and plonking myself behind a crush barrier because there was plenty of room thinking this is great but there was a reason that people left that space, as the crowd surged forward I was crushed up against the barrier managed to get my hands up in front of my chest suffice to say I moved away sharpish total mayhen in the anie road end in those days. I have a memory of the anie end being a bit like the kop but a bit small ie one large stand like the kop can anyone remember this or is my memory playing tricks on me.
BB
Was it not just a two tired open end ? The Kop was massive held 20,000 plus they had a new roof put on to give better acoustics, the anfield road end looked very open ended from the Kop view a mass of blue tickets were like gold dust hence my older brother, and I were in the Kop with about 3,000 blues!

Last edited:
I agree you only sat down in a all ticket game if that was the only ticket you could get, most fans of youth middle age chose the standing on the terrace, you could pick your spec - or move more freely nothing worse than having to stand up to let fans through to the seat or when the ball came near the goal mouth everyone stood up!
The standing was the best option - so many advantages to having a seat!
Regarding seating in the Park End, pre make over, there were no seats as such, just one long bench. I am not sure if there were painted lines to define a seat as such, but I recall having to shuffle up when they wanted to squeeze more specs in.

Regarding seating in the Park End, pre make over, there were no seats as such, just one long bench. I am not sure if there were painted lines to define a seat as such, but I recall having to shuffle up when they wanted to squeeze more specs in.
My late mother went to her one and only game league cup tie v Luton in the late 1960,s she sat there with as if she was in the pictures with her handbag on her knee the rest of the family jumped and down when we scored loads she was telling the all to sit down as she missed the goals - laugh we were in hysterics I am sure she thought she was in the Abbey picture houselol
Great Evertonian though my late father a true blue died in his mid 50s she always hung his Everton scarf up over the fire place when listing to the game on Radio Merseyside to fetch them luck;)

My late mother went to her one and only game league cup tie v Luton in the late 1960,s she sat there with as if she was in the pictures with her handbag on her knee the rest of the family jumped and down when we scored loads she was telling the all to sit down as she missed the goals - laugh we were in hysterics I am sure she thought she was in the Abbey picture houselol
Great Evertonian though my late father a true blue died in his mid 50s she always hung his Everton scarf up over the fire place when listing to the game on Radio Merseyside to fetch them luck;)
Mentioning Radio Merseyside as you do, naturally before the advent of today's technology, talking late sixties here, if you were out and about if you didn't have a transistor radio with you, you were stymied if you wanted to know the scores.
If you had the coppers you would ring the radio station and the receptionist would let you know.
If you had no cash I know I didn't think twice ringing 999 and asking them. Can't recall ever getting an ear bashing for doing so although I doubt you would get away with it today.:bye: