Old Everton Pictures

1928 Dixie Dean playing for England v Ireland at Goodison Park- remember in those days most times the England internationals on a Saturday were played even if your club played that day . Even in Dixies 60 goals season he missed some Everton games playing for his country on match days -

1657369055272.png

6th March 1971. Everton winger nicknamed Skippy as he was so fast Jimmy Husband skips around Colchester United goalkeeper Graham Smith to score the Toffees third goal in the FA Cup Quarter Final, in a 5-0 win for the blues at Goodison Park - Liverpool were at home same time kick off that day in the FA Cup as I went in a mixed fans' minibus laid on by our school teachers - forget who they played both 3 pm kick offs think it was Spurs in a 0-0 draw?

1657369243952.png

29th March 1966. Everton goalkeeper Gordon West catching the ball under pressure Manchester City winger Mike Summerbee in an FA Cup Quarter-final replay, at Goodison Park. {My older brother and late father reckons we had a hard time that game playing again in white shirts, and we went to Molyneux to beat them 2-0 on the neutral ground they were near the top of the old division 2!} -

1657369298032.png

The late Great Goal Machine Fred Boomer Pickering converted by Blackburn Rovers from full back to a centre Forward - signed by the Blues for a record transfer - a photo in his early Blackburn kit - RIP
His Everton scoring statistics - how he could be left out of a book EFCs great no 9s is beyond me!

Squad No:0
Position:FW
D.o.B:19/01/1941
Birthplace:Blackburn
Appearances:115
Goals:70

1657369448419.png

THE GLORIOUS CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM OF 1938-39
1939 Champions
A new superteam was in the making, and it bloomed in 1938-39, the last season before the war. The war forced the League into yet another long break. This time the title stayed at Goodison for eight years, before it was handed over, again, to the other side of Stanley Park.

Everton had bought in 17-year old Tommy Lawton from Burnley in the spring of 1937 for 6,500 pounds. With the guidance of Billy Dean, who was at the end of his career, he rapidly developed into a great forward.

No-one else could have been able to fill Dean's boots. At Everton, Lawton was greeted almost as a gift from God, because Dixie's retirement was the worst fear in the minds of the board.

During the championship season, the 19-year old Lawton scored 34 goals and was instantly selected for the England team.

When choosing the best center-forwards of all time, Everton have two players that lead the pack: Dean and Lawton. Dean was a better goalscorer, but Lawton was a better all-rounder. Born October 6, 1919, Lawton was also an excellent goalscorer: he scored a total of 570 goals in three years for his school team!

Chairman Will Cuff managed to get Lawton by promising that he would be playing in the England team before his twentieth birthday if he joined Everton - and that's exactly what he did! In February 1937, against Tottenham in a cup replay, Lawton scored a goal that was just like the ones Dean used to score. Seeing this, Dean said: "This is it. This is the end." Tommy Lawton had arrived.

1657369682151.png

29th March 1966. Everton goalkeeper Gordon West catching the ball under pressure Manchester City winger Mike Summerbee in an FA Cup Quarter-final replay, at Goodison Park. {My older brother and late father reckons we had a hard time that game playing again in white shirts, and we went to Molyneux to beat them 2-0 on the neutral ground they were near the top of the old division 2!} -

View attachment 173191

…I went to the Maine Rd replay which I think finished 0-0. They had a decent team did City, I think ex-Toffee George Heslop was their CB, but that cup run turned out great in the end.