Old Everton Pictures

Inchy Heath playing against Stoke City 1981-82 the team we purchased him from for big money - in a 1-0 defeat for us in the last home game of that season -

1655984989305.png

A

Joey, as you mention we shouldn't have sold Ball often...what would have been the best solution at the time? I mean, the captaincy thing was proving to be a disaster. Should Catt have taken it off him- and if so, would he have moaned and not wanted to play anyway with his ego or could he have been convinced that it was best for him- and everyone- that he should concentrate on getting back to his best form (after a poor season in 70-71 and the current 18th we were sitting in 1971-72 when he was sold)?
You still dont sell a potential World class player - I agree with you the Captaincy was the problem, but the Catt gave him freedom to kick backsides as he was ruthless as a manager but sadly past his best ill health wise etc ..... Also, he did the same trick with Bobby Collins who bit us up the backside when he drove Leeds to glory player of the year 1965.....

Last edited:
You still dont sell a potential World class player - I agree with you the Captaincy was the problem, but the Catt gave him freedom to kick backsides as he was ruthless as a manager but sadly past his best ill health wise etc .....
So we should have taken the captaincy off him perhaps? i'd like to have been a fly on the wall at that one :D Funny enough, Arsenal declined a fair bit after he was made club captain too.

We got battered actually then two weeks later with Alan Ball added to the team we battered them 3-1.
Yep, I was at the 3-1 game as well. The week before, I was at Craven Cottage when we won 1-0, with Alan Ball on his debut scoring the only goal in the second half. In those days, the away supporters were not behind one of the goals, so we were on the open terrace that backed onto the Thames.

It was a 3-2 defeat as I remember. It was my first ever game at Goodison. You can see some clips of the game on YouTube
Some shocking keeping from Lawson but a great og from Henry Newton

Spot on, BtB, and I can't even blame the caption. I plead Alzheimer's aggravated by years of knocking my head against hard objects after football disappointments. If the judge isn't convinced by this excuse, I have others!

Yep, I was at the 3-1 game as well. The week before, I was at Craven Cottage when we won 1-0, with Alan Ball on his debut scoring the only goal in the second half. In those days, the away supporters were not behind one of the goals, so we were on the open terrace that backed onto the Thames.

I was at both. Here is Ball's goal.

1186 20.08.66 Ball v Fulham (A) FIRST IN SEQUENCE - Alan Ball fires home the only goal of the opening fixture at Fulham (Once again I got a message that my file is too large to upload ! Sorry.)

1187 20.06.66 Ball v Fulham (A) SECOND IN SEQUENCE - Alex Young acclaims Alan Ball's goal as the Blues beat Fulham

1187 20.06.66 Ball v Fulham (A) SECOND IN SEQUENCE - Alex Young acclaims Alan Ball's goal as t...JPG