Old Everton Pictures

Mick talking about the 62/3 Division 1 Championship win - I saw Mark (aged 4 -in this article), play for Shamrock Rovers before that idiot Giles released him at 20 years - probably 1979. Mark went on to Waterford and winning the FAI Cup with them in 1980. So much for the genius of Giles and his clown of a sidekick Dunphy. Mark rear left - seems to have his mind elsewhere!!

1653478118658.png

Mick managed Rovers from 1974 to 1976 as well as being the first solo Ireland manager 1969-1972 (before this teams were selected by Committee). Glad to see Mick is still with us aged 87.

Sadly Peter developed Alzheimer's towards the end of his life - looking at this photo and knowing his fearlessness, I wonder if he was another victim of heading those old heavy footballs. Eggo also died eventually with vascular dementia (same as my dear Ma), although he had also been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer some years earlier.

I am sure they were both thrilled with the comeback last week. RIP -m Ar Dheis De go raibh a nanamacha dilis.

This was Eggo's Wedding Day - waiting for his bride to arrive - Guess who was Best Man??
1653478696517.png

Eggo with Con Martin and Peter at some presentation around 1980 - that is the lovely warm smile I remember as a teenager going to Rovers matches with Peter on the 46A bus.
1653478918960.png

This is a nice article albeit inaccurate as to Peter's date of death -not 1993 but 16 March 1999 I remember it well as it was coming up to St Patrick's weekend 1999, and the BR family along with my late parents were heading to Edinburgh for the weekend
http://efcheritagesociety.com/tommy-eglington-the-flying-winger-of-the-fifties-rob-sawyer/

Last edited: