Old Everton Pictures

Everton's Alan Whittle (second from left) is pulled away from the ball by Arsenal's Peter Storey in October 1970 Whittle (second from left) is pulled away from the ball by Arsenal's Peter Storey in October 1970 in a 4-0 defeat for the blues -
WA3955967.jpg

....I recall going to Crystal Palace as a young lad in the 60’s. They weren’t in the top flight but I had relatives who lived near the ground in Thornton Heath. I think Bill Glazier was in goal for Palace that day. I also have a memory that Palaces nickname was the Glaziers, which I always thought a coincidence.

I’m sure @Alan Whittle will correct me if I’m wrong.
Yes, we were The Glaziers until the mid 70's. Changed at the behest of Big Mal.
Bill Glazier was our keeper in the early 60's and (from memory) was a British transfer record for a keeper when sold to Coventry City for c£65,000.

...we used to think it was so posh. They had a house backing onto the railway line and ‘Fort Neef’ station. Very happy memories.
Well it is in leafy Surrey you know...lol. I think from the Victorian era to the beginning of WW2 Croydon and it's immediate suburbs were respectable middle class commuting areas. Not so much now....

Well it is in leafy Surrey you know...lol. I think from the Victorian era to the beginning of WW2 Croydon and it's immediate suburbs were respectable middle class commuting areas. Not so much now....

....yep, I stayed in Croydon for work about 5 years or so ago. Had to go to the Government building in central Croydon and it was certainly not leafy. Lovely going to and from London, though, because it took me through Thornton Heath station.

1960. Old Trafford. Manchester United v Everton. Referee Arthur Ellis leads Manchester United's Bobby Charlton off the pitch at the end of the game.
Football, English League Division 1, 1960, Old Trafford, Manchester United v Everton, Referee Arthur Ellis leads Manchester United's Bobby Charlton off the pitch at the end of the game - in a 4-0 defeat the blues - revenge today ...... -