Non-UK Evertonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
another Californian here, born and raised in Oakland. started following in the 2008-2009 season (and i guess the very end of 07-8) after learning that family friends in England were Everton fans. had absolutely no interest in soccer at all beforehand, now it is my favorite sport and Everton is right up there with the Oakland A's and UC Berkeley football/basketball (Go Bears!) as my favorite sports teams. was at Goodison for Hibbo's testimonial, trying to go back in december for at least two more matches.

there was a thread 4 or 5 years ago about how Hibbert would score his first everton goal which remains my favorite GOT thread of all-time, couldn't stop laughing. mikel's goat may have been the OP/heavily involved in that thread if I'm not mistaken...coyb

oh and like spocks, first favorite player and big reason why I became so hooked on Everton was Tim Cahill

Was a very random way I started to support Everton. I was in primary school the week before the FA cup final in 68, and all the kids would be supporting and chanting for one of the teams. (Happened every yr no matter who was playing) Most were chanting for West Brom sooo I chanted for Everton not knowing much about them but hey I wanted be different from the mob. Well watched the game and sat stunned at Jeff Astle's goal first heartbreak of many but i was hooked. It helped my only soccer shirt was royal blue ( was supposed been cardiff city but that changed). Continued following them till I was 16 and emigrated to Canada, well before the internet so sadly my interest waned a little but would read results in papers I still played soccer in canada, with mostly ex brits none everton supporters but met a mate in work who was a rabid evertonian around early 80's and the love affair was rekindled with the club. I ended up playing soccer for a team sponsored by the merseyside club in Brampton lot of evertonians there and sadly a bunch of deluded lemmings who seemed to all nod in agreement when liverpool was mentioned. Any how cut a long boring story short that was how I came to support Everton and to this day dont regret it not the club or the mates I have met because of the shared bond.

One of my first memories of Everton is Neville Southall taking a goal kick in a match on the road to Rotterdam. Since then I would chose Everton as my team in any Speccy football game. At that time there was no www or cable tv in Portugal, so the news about the english league were scarce. Sometimes the papers would have a small square with something about Everton. Mainly it was all about the Merseyside derbies. Still, the FA Cup was something the portuguese tv channel (there were 2 state tv channels at the time) would broadcast every year. So I was able to watch the defeat against United or the defeat against the shoite.

In the early nineties, 2 more tv channels got permission to operate in my country. And one of the first matches boradcasted of the english league was a Merseyside derby which we won, courtesy of a goal by Mo Johnston. Then, in the middle nineties I went to college and got access to some arcaic form of internet access which was damn slow. And I got to get some news about the club. Sadly, those times were a lot different from those when I started supporting the club. But still I would follow the team's fortunes, no matter what they were. I remember the days when we had the money to go get Bakayoko or John Collins and thought we were getting on track.

So I lived through the good times and the dark times. But once a blue, always a blue.

Many on here support local teams as well as Everton. Would you consider Everton to be your first love or are the toffees your "other" team?

Everton is my first love, no argument, but I've also had a 50 year love affair with Carlton, here in Melbourne.

I started going to watch them in 1962, and hardly missed a match for 30 years, except for when I was back in the UK in 70/71.
I missed one of the eight Premierships Carlton have won since 1968 in 1970 but saw it on a big screen at Australia House in London a week or two after the Final.
I don't go very often these days as the AFL - read FA - forced us out of our home ground in 2005 and we now share grounds with 10 other teams. The game has lost it's soul for us old dinosaurs.
We're making up the numbers this year but I think we can beat Groggsies team, Richmond this week.( See his earlier post)

Just curious, how many non-english supporters are there on this forum. I've never been to England let alone Goodison Park but am a dyed in the wool blue, born not manufactured I guess.
I noticed a number of yanks on here and wondered if they're displaced brits or American born and bred and what made them support the toffees and footie in general when America is spoilt for choices when it comes to sport. Would like to hear from all non brits, not just the yanks. Curious like.

Yank here, from NW Louisiana. I told part of my story in New Signings, but I’ll gladly tell it again. Not that I think my story is special, but Everton is to me. When I was searching for a team to follow I thought I was the one making the choices… you know the rest.

(Sorry, this is a bit longer than planned.)

I’ve lived some in Texas, but born and currently reside in Louisiana. Growing up, there was always a tension among sports teams to follow. I’m loyal to the local team, but there was only one local team, New Orleans Saints. And they were bad and never on TV, but they did have the distinctive Louisiana flavor. Fans were loyal even when the team stunk, and maybe even moreso when it was bad; fans frequently showed up to games wearing bags on their heads.

10518708-large.jpg

In NW Louisiana, which is closer to Texas than New Orleans, the Dallas Cowboys were always on TV, and they were successful. Many of my peers grew up Cowboys fans, but I hated the Cowboys and still do. Until the Saints won Super Bowl XLIV, there were few things that delighted me more than watching the Cowboys play mediocre football. But I supported teams in other sports as well; I lived in Dallas when the Stars moved to town and became a hockey fan; I’m a fan of the Rangers; least of all I’m a basketball fan, and my loyalty is split between the Pelicans (being new) and Mavericks. I have some lingering affection for distant teams, often for sentimental reasons (SF Giants, Les Habs de Montreal), but my local teams are my teams.

I’ve got three boys and the oldest are playing youth soccer, and I needed to find a team to follow. I will follow MLS’ FCD, but they’re gash, as you say. Not that I won’t support a bad local team (see above, Saints) but I also wouldn’t recommend a Brit expat living in the US to only watch AA baseball. Sure, you can be a Durham Bulls fan if you want to see live baseball, but you need to follow a real team with real players and real history if you want to learn the game.

Since I had no local affiliation, I only had a few rules when I set out to “find” a team: I had to understand the language; I wanted to avoid sectarianism; I had to love the team. Players and managers come and go, but I was looking for a team that I would remain proud of. Also, I didn’t want to find that I loved a team whose shirt I was embarrassed to wear.

I understand that there is much about the history of the Isles and Europe that I won’t ever get. We have our own scars and racial tension here in America that we own and have to work through; we can’t really explain it (and who wants to?) and I understand the same is true for Europe. I understand that the history of Sienna and Fiorentina extends well beyond what I can describe, and the hate between these teams is part of that. I understand that what goes on between Celtic and Rangers is difficult to explain and has been going on for a long time. But I don’t want any part of that.

And I don’t want any part of the other side of British footballing either. I understand that every team has had supporters firms, but some teams are different than others. I’ve never been to a US sporting event when I was afraid because of what team I supported. I couldn’t introduce my sons to following a team like Newcastle (I want them to wear shirts in public) or West Ham (box cutters are for opening boxes only). Honestly, one of the things that first caught my eye was the civility with which Toffees treated the hated RS, including “It is one of the few local derbies that does not enforce total fan segregation.” It’s right to hate the RS, but it takes a better man to treat them with the respect they don’t deserve.

But there’s more at work than that. Every club has a culture and identity, but few more beautiful than Everton. The school of science, with its appreciation for the beautiful game, is unparalleled. The history of Dixie Dean, among many others, and the dominance of the 1930s, 60s and 80s, and finally the story of Alex Young crossing to the supporter who scored with a header when the team were 1 man short at an away game caught me. I would like to think that it was his respect for Goodison and the history of Everton that caused Di Canio to stop play that day. Maybe I’m too hopeful regarding Di Canio, but Goodison and her faithful Toffees share a certain level of respect not only for the history of the game but also for fair play that appears unparalleled.

It took a while to confirm, however. I learned quickly that you English are seriously loyal to your teams (which I’m ok with) and that if I found a team (or a team found me) I would be stuck for the rest of my life, waking early to watch the game streamed to my TV, hoping the kids were still in bed so they don’t witness my demise. I couldn’t bear to think of my sons growing up, walking in to see me on Saturday morning, saying “Leeds? Really, Leeds, Dad?” or “Oh, no, not Forrest again!”

I had watched a few teams briefly. I was romanced with the story of Swansea’s promotion in their 100th year, I was interested in what the American Lerner was investing in his club Villa (not changing its history, but trying to build up around it), and I was briefly intrigued by the Blues of London. But I’m not capable of the self-loathing required to be a Villain, I can’t be a Swan, and there’s something wrong in that part of London (and it’s not just the owner). There are other fine teams to follow across the English footballing landscape, but there are no other teams for me.

We’ve got a new baby in our house, so I couldn’t make any of the US games this summer. I will be proud to take my sons to Goodison and I’m looking forward to the day they’re old enough that this trip is not just a fantasy, but a real trip to take and a real experience to share. My oldest, who can read but is not great at pronunciation, wants to know if every blue team is “Ee”verton. His affection for the Toffees is already growing. The woman to whom I'm related by marriage has taken to calling me a full kit [Poor language removed] every time I mention proper football, which I take as a good sign. (She’s a Florida Gators herself, but would undoubtedly love to take in a game at Goodison). As for my younger sons, I’ll grow them up the best I know how. As for me, I would like to think I made the right choice in “choosing” Everton, but like most of you I realized I wasn’t doing the choosing at any point in the process.

They say, “If you know your history…,” we’ll I’m learning my history now. Up the Toffees!

I'm believe I'm the only Evertonian here is Pakistan but I constantly wear my Everton top outdoors where all football fanatics are Man utd, Chelsea and ****e supporters. They are all shocked to see an Evertonian and ask me why "I chose" to be an Everton fan? Hahaha there you go....simple answer to them "mate, we're born not manufactured". I haven't been to Goodison ever but will come and visit once my studies end or otherwise. My room's full of Everton posters, Cahill and Jagielka posters....had a mini Arteta poster but took it off and a few stickers along with a scarf thanks to my aunt and cousins who live in Newcastle.

Yank here, from NW Louisiana. I told part of my story in New Signings, but I’ll gladly tell it again. Not that I think my story is special, but Everton is to me. When I was searching for a team to follow I thought I was the one making the choices… you know the rest.

(Sorry, this is a bit longer than planned.)

I’ve lived some in Texas, but born and currently reside in Louisiana. Growing up, there was always a tension among sports teams to follow. I’m loyal to the local team, but there was only one local team, New Orleans Saints. And they were bad and never on TV, but they did have the distinctive Louisiana flavor. Fans were loyal even when the team stunk, and maybe even moreso when it was bad; fans frequently showed up to games wearing bags on their heads.

10518708-large.jpg

In NW Louisiana, which is closer to Texas than New Orleans, the Dallas Cowboys were always on TV, and they were successful. Many of my peers grew up Cowboys fans, but I hated the Cowboys and still do. Until the Saints won Super Bowl XLIV, there were few things that delighted me more than watching the Cowboys play mediocre football. But I supported teams in other sports as well; I lived in Dallas when the Stars moved to town and became a hockey fan; I’m a fan of the Rangers; least of all I’m a basketball fan, and my loyalty is split between the Pelicans (being new) and Mavericks. I have some lingering affection for distant teams, often for sentimental reasons (SF Giants, Les Habs de Montreal), but my local teams are my teams.

I’ve got three boys and the oldest are playing youth soccer, and I needed to find a team to follow. I will follow MLS’ FCD, but they’re gash, as you say. Not that I won’t support a bad local team (see above, Saints) but I also wouldn’t recommend a Brit expat living in the US to only watch AA baseball. Sure, you can be a Durham Bulls fan if you want to see live baseball, but you need to follow a real team with real players and real history if you want to learn the game.

Since I had no local affiliation, I only had a few rules when I set out to “find” a team: I had to understand the language; I wanted to avoid sectarianism; I had to love the team. Players and managers come and go, but I was looking for a team that I would remain proud of. Also, I didn’t want to find that I loved a team whose shirt I was embarrassed to wear.

I understand that there is much about the history of the Isles and Europe that I won’t ever get. We have our own scars and racial tension here in America that we own and have to work through; we can’t really explain it (and who wants to?) and I understand the same is true for Europe. I understand that the history of Sienna and Fiorentina extends well beyond what I can describe, and the hate between these teams is part of that. I understand that what goes on between Celtic and Rangers is difficult to explain and has been going on for a long time. But I don’t want any part of that.

And I don’t want any part of the other side of British footballing either. I understand that every team has had supporters firms, but some teams are different than others. I’ve never been to a US sporting event when I was afraid because of what team I supported. I couldn’t introduce my sons to following a team like Newcastle (I want them to wear shirts in public) or West Ham (box cutters are for opening boxes only). Honestly, one of the things that first caught my eye was the civility with which Toffees treated the hated RS, including “It is one of the few local derbies that does not enforce total fan segregation.” It’s right to hate the RS, but it takes a better man to treat them with the respect they don’t deserve.

But there’s more at work than that. Every club has a culture and identity, but few more beautiful than Everton. The school of science, with its appreciation for the beautiful game, is unparalleled. The history of Dixie Dean, among many others, and the dominance of the 1930s, 60s and 80s, and finally the story of Alex Young crossing to the supporter who scored with a header when the team were 1 man short at an away game caught me. I would like to think that it was his respect for Goodison and the history of Everton that caused Di Canio to stop play that day. Maybe I’m too hopeful regarding Di Canio, but Goodison and her faithful Toffees share a certain level of respect not only for the history of the game but also for fair play that appears unparalleled.

It took a while to confirm, however. I learned quickly that you English are seriously loyal to your teams (which I’m ok with) and that if I found a team (or a team found me) I would be stuck for the rest of my life, waking early to watch the game streamed to my TV, hoping the kids were still in bed so they don’t witness my demise. I couldn’t bear to think of my sons growing up, walking in to see me on Saturday morning, saying “Leeds? Really, Leeds, Dad?” or “Oh, no, not Forrest again!”

I had watched a few teams briefly. I was romanced with the story of Swansea’s promotion in their 100th year, I was interested in what the American Lerner was investing in his club Villa (not changing its history, but trying to build up around it), and I was briefly intrigued by the Blues of London. But I’m not capable of the self-loathing required to be a Villain, I can’t be a Swan, and there’s something wrong in that part of London (and it’s not just the owner). There are other fine teams to follow across the English footballing landscape, but there are no other teams for me.

We’ve got a new baby in our house, so I couldn’t make any of the US games this summer. I will be proud to take my sons to Goodison and I’m looking forward to the day they’re old enough that this trip is not just a fantasy, but a real trip to take and a real experience to share. My oldest, who can read but is not great at pronunciation, wants to know if every blue team is “Ee”verton. His affection for the Toffees is already growing. The woman to whom I'm related by marriage has taken to calling me a full kit [Poor language removed] every time I mention proper football, which I take as a good sign. (She’s a Florida Gators herself, but would undoubtedly love to take in a game at Goodison). As for my younger sons, I’ll grow them up the best I know how. As for me, I would like to think I made the right choice in “choosing” Everton, but like most of you I realized I wasn’t doing the choosing at any point in the process.

They say, “If you know your history…,” we’ll I’m learning my history now. Up the Toffees!
I enjoyed reading that mate, hope you and your lads manage to live the dream and visit the OLD LADY, and see the royal blues in the flesh. Keep the faith, COYB.

I also converted my Mrs, originally from Michigan to a blue. She gets up early to watch with me and has made the pilgrimage 3 times to Goodison, never won with her there (0-0 v Wigan, 2-2 Sunderland and 1-2 Bolton Howards goal), she can F off if she thinks she is coming when I am over this Xmas, bad luck. Her favourite place to sit is the Gwladys Street too, loves the loons in there :)

Good to see we have a good reach now though!

Just stumbled on this after the deadline day frenzy. Utter boss thread, and some ace stories. Havnt kept a log, but Pakistan, Lebanon, Poland......Unbelievable stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.