2018/19 Nikola Vlasic

Status
Not open for further replies.
What people forget (and this applies to Lookman too) is that just because a young player looks like he's got some talent, they still haven't proven anything yet.

Players have to prove they're worth it to the club. The club don't have to prove they're worth it to the player.

If Vlasic comes back and his attitude is right then he could be a decent player to have in the squad. He's not like Bolasie or Mirallas who have absolutely no chance of coming back into the fold. The opportunity is there to be a Premier League player at a big club if he wants it. There aren't many clubs that give young players a chance like Everton do.

If his ego is getting in his way then by all means, he can go back to a farmer's league like Croatia or Russia and be a big fish in a small pond if that's what he wants but he'll have flopped at the big stage.

Everton won't have missed out, Vlasic will have.

The squad is large, but it's not really large at the moment. Silva has used 18 players this season in any meaningful way, 22 if you count the minor contributions from Holgate, Jags, Baines and Niasse. So if you assume they're the players Silva wants, it's not a big squad at all, especially when you consider guys like Schneiderlin and Lookman haven't really been involved that much, Davies seems no more likely a starter than Vlasic does, and both Gomes and Zouma are on loan.

I think that makes it worse for Vlasic in a way, he is one of 15 player out on loan. The vast majority of them we want rid of, have very little resale value and are on big wages relative to their ability and the clubs interested in them. So we will probably give them away or wait for when their contracts end. I can see, Holgate, Onyekuru and Dowell returning to the squad. We will probably try and Sign Gomes and Zouma. It has been said before that Silva like a group of approximately 25 players

3 Goalkeepers, Pickford, Steklengurg, Virginia
8 Defenders, Digne, Baines, Zouma, Mina, Keane, Holgate, Kenny, Coleman
7 midfielders, Gana, Schniderlin, Gomes, Dowell, Davies, Sigurdsson, McCarthy
7 wingers/ forwards, Richarlison, Bernard, Walcott, Lookman, DCL, Tosun, Onyekuru

I know some of these first teamer's might get sold in the summer and Baines might retire/ get released, but unless they do I cant see where Vlasic fits into the squad. I cannot see us being in Europe next season, which might mean we need a bigger squad

Reactions: Tez
I think that makes it worse for Vlasic in a way, he is one of 15 player out on loan. The vast majority of them we want rid of, have very little resale value and are on big wages relative to their ability and the clubs interested in them. So we will probably give them away or wait for when their contracts end. I can see, Holgate, Onyekuru and Dowell returning to the squad. We will probably try and Sign Gomes and Zouma. It has been said before that Silva like a group of approximately 25 players

3 Goalkeepers, Pickford, Steklengurg, Virginia
8 Defenders, Digne, Baines, Zouma, Mina, Keane, Holgate, Kenny, Coleman
7 midfielders, Gana, Schniderlin, Gomes, Dowell, Davies, Sigurdsson, McCarthy
7 wingers/ forwards, Richarlison, Bernard, Walcott, Lookman, DCL, Tosun, Onyekuru

I know some of these first teamer's might get sold in the summer and Baines might retire/ get released, but unless they do I cant see where Vlasic fits into the squad. I cannot see us being in Europe next season, which might mean we need a bigger squad
I think you answer your question with the point people will be sold though.

I can't see McCarthy or Schneiderlin being here so he could fit in there.

I am still unsure if I want him back next season or to cash in. He’s played well for CSKA in the league and the CL so there’s something there in the lad. But is he a better winger than what we’ve got now? Is he a better playmaker than Sig or Bernard? Can he carry the ball as good as Gomes? I don’t think we actually need him at the moment...if we could get 20 mil for him (hopefully) and reinvest in a player like Sanagre/Zakaria who are more destroyer type midfielders to maybe replace Gueye if he goes it’s money well spent and spent in the more pressing areas.
Don’t get me wrong I like Vlasic, but we need height and bite in midfield with Gueye possibly leaving and I don’t see it Vlasic

I am still unsure if I want him back next season or to cash in. He’s played well for CSKA in the league and the CL so there’s something there in the lad. But is he a better winger than what we’ve got now? Is he a better playmaker than Sig or Bernard? Can he carry the ball as good as Gomes? I don’t think we actually need him at the moment...if we could get 20 mil for him (hopefully) and reinvest in a player like Sanagre/Zakaria who are more destroyer type midfielders to maybe replace Gueye if he goes it’s money well spent and spent in the more pressing areas.
Don’t get me wrong I like Vlasic, but we need height and bite in midfield with Gueye possibly leaving and I don’t see it Vlasic

We also need a bench; people seem to forget that.

We also need a bench; people seem to forget that.
Very true, I appreciate that depth is important. But in the same vein after what’s happened in the past with Vlasic and what he’s said about his future at the club, do you think he’ll be overly happy to warm the bench? I’m not saying get rid of him no matter what I’m just leaning more towards cashing in whilst his value is propped up. I’m more than happy to be proven wrong on this one because I do see a player in him

I'd really like to see him at the start of next season, see if he settles, he's had a bit of a bumpy ride here but I can't help thinking it would be foolish to get rid so soon.

Swerve these Turkish clubs and their loans. Either bring him back into the fold or sell him properly. He isn't on the *impossible to shift* list.

What people forget (and this applies to Lookman too) is that just because a young player looks like he's got some talent, they still haven't proven anything yet.

Players have to prove they're worth it to the club. The club don't have to prove they're worth it to the player.

If Vlasic comes back and his attitude is right then he could be a decent player to have in the squad. He's not like Bolasie or Mirallas who have absolutely no chance of coming back into the fold. The opportunity is there to be a Premier League player at a big club if he wants it. There aren't many clubs that give young players a chance like Everton do.

If his ego is getting in his way then by all means, he can go back to a farmer's league like Croatia or Russia and be a big fish in a small pond if that's what he wants but he'll have flopped at the big stage.

Everton won't have missed out, Vlasic will have.

Good post. Our fans often paint the club/management as the enemy of young talent, but we often overlook the fact that these players are trying to make it in an extremely competitive environment and aren't showing the required level of commitment. The likelihood is, you're not going to make it at this level if there are question marks about your attitude.

Good post. Our fans often paint the club/management as the enemy of young talent, but we often overlook the fact that these players are trying to make it in an extremely competitive environment and aren't showing the required level of commitment. The likelihood is, you're not going to make it at this level if there are question marks about your attitude.

These are young players trying to make it at a big club. There's always been exceptions but that was how it used to be viewed. Now for some reason people think that the club need to work harder for those young players and not to fail them.

If Vlasic leaves Everton or comes back and isn't any good, he'll have wasted his opportunity at Everton. Everton won't have wasted having Nikola Vlasic on the books by not playing him more.

Status
Not open for further replies.