Nikica Jelavic on the bench against Newcastle? You mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SebbyHaughtonf1

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
I’ve seen a lot of people say that against Newcastle, Nikica Jelavic needs to be put on the bench. You’ve got to be kidding me right?

Against Chelsea, he arguably had his best game since Southampton at home. He could well have got a hat trick. The first of the chances for Jela was the free-kick, which was a perfect free kick. Beat the wall & left Cech standing still. But he was unlucky as it came off the post. You cannot blame a player for hitting the post from that range.

Next, was the chance he had on goal, in the first half. Good ball from the right, (was it Osman who fed it to him? Can’t remember), got good control, got the right side of the Chelsea defender, only to be denied by a fingertip from Cech.

Then in the second half, it was “that headerâ€. Big Dunc & Tim Cahill would’ve been proud of this one. It’s rare for Jelavic to win a header, let alone score one, but from a Baines cross in the air (in the air not playing to his strength’s), he leaps up, makes a bullet of a header, beating Cech again, but the woodwork denied him again. From 12 yards with a header, again, he can’t be blamed for hitting the woodwork.

But lastly, the chance that everyone will sadly remember. It would’ve been a “typical Jelavic goalâ€. Cross comes in, on the floor this time, moves backwards and away from the defenders, goes to slot it away with his one touch, but f***ed it. I think that’s the first slotted chance he’s had, since way back in August against Villa, the one he scored, but anyway, a mistake. But he was brilliant against Chelsea, just very very unlucky.

He was an inch away from scoring today, on three occasions. That means he deserves to be dropped? Nonsense. If he sorts out his offside woe’s, he’ll start smashing them in, sadly Everton isn’t playing the slotting game this season for him. But no matter, he's adapting. I predict he’ll have 15-17 league goals at the end of the season. Just watch.

Everton fans are as thick as any other set of fans.

Oh my God Barkley lost the ball. Let's abuse the young lad on twitter and kneejerk like plebtastic bulbs.

Oh no Jelavic isn't slotting. I guess the 5 million goals he's scored in the past few years were accidents and he's actually completely gash, because strikers don't have goal droughts.

How long are you willing to wait before he starts smashing them in, though? Don't want to sound like a bell but Jelavic didn't finish his chances today and we are 1/3pts worse off as a consequence. Perhaps benching him and bringing him on against tired defenders for a couple of games might not be the worst idea. Newcastle's defence is a shambles at the moment so it could be the best time to experiment.

Man City, current Premier League champions, have brought on Aguero from the bench a few times this season because he's not been on form and he's arguably one of the best strikers in the world. If it's how champions react to their best striker going off form, why can't we?

Of course, we don't have Tevez, Dzeko or Balotelli, but Mirallas has played as a centre forward before and Anichebe had a great game yesterday. We need to be proactive and not be left standing still.

How long are you willing to wait before he starts smashing them in, though? Don't want to sound like a bell but Jelavic didn't finish his chances today and we are 1/3pts worse off as a consequence. Perhaps benching him and bringing him on against tired defenders for a couple of games might not be the worst idea. Newcastle's defence is a shambles at the moment so it could be the best time to experiment.

Man City, current Premier League champions, have brought on Aguero from the bench a few times this season because he's not been on form and he's arguably one of the best strikers in the world. If it's how champions react to their best striker going off form, why can't we?

Of course, we don't have Tevez, Dzeko or Balotelli, but Mirallas has played as a centre forward before and Anichebe had a great game yesterday. We need to be proactive and not be left standing still.

Jelavic wasn't at fault for either of the goals Chelsea scored. Osman failed to take two chances himself. Benching him makes no sense. One in three ratio this season.

He's due and he's been unlucky. Fellani had the same problem scoring last year. He'd either hit the post or just miss threevee times.

In the 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 last year his only job was to knock long balls down and plant himself right in the middle of the goal. He's been more of a playmaker this year and its opening it up for the midfielders/Felllani/Anichebe.

I’ve seen a lot of people say that against Newcastle, Nikica Jelavic needs to be put on the bench. You’ve got to be kidding me right?

Against Chelsea, he arguably had his best game since Southampton at home. He could well have got a hat trick. The first of the chances for Jela was the free-kick, which was a perfect free kick. Beat the wall & left Cech standing still. But he was unlucky as it came off the post. You cannot blame a player for hitting the post from that range.

Next, was the chance he had on goal, in the first half. Good ball from the right, (was it Osman who fed it to him? Can’t remember), got good control, got the right side of the Chelsea defender, only to be denied by a fingertip from Cech.

Then in the second half, it was “that headerâ€. Big Dunc & Tim Cahill would’ve been proud of this one. It’s rare for Jelavic to win a header, let alone score one, but from a Baines cross in the air (in the air not playing to his strength’s), he leaps up, makes a bullet of a header, beating Cech again, but the woodwork denied him again. From 12 yards with a header, again, he can’t be blamed for hitting the woodwork.

But lastly, the chance that everyone will sadly remember. It would’ve been a “typical Jelavic goalâ€. Cross comes in, on the floor this time, moves backwards and away from the defenders, goes to slot it away with his one touch, but f***ed it. I think that’s the first slotted chance he’s had, since way back in August against Villa, the one he scored, but anyway, a mistake. But he was brilliant against Chelsea, just very very unlucky.

He was an inch away from scoring today, on three occasions. That means he deserves to be dropped? Nonsense. If he sorts out his offside woe’s, he’ll start smashing them in, sadly Everton isn’t playing the slotting game this season for him. But no matter, he's adapting. I predict he’ll have 15-17 league goals at the end of the season. Just watch.

I agree... but here's the thing. The same argument was made about Louis Saha and Tim Cahill. Moyes trudged along with them with zero improvement, and it took the signing of Denis Stracqualursi to get us going or that season was going down the toilet.

If you persist with a player like Jelavic when he's playing "badly" (not necessarily against Chelsea but he's been poor for a number of games recently; Wigan, for example, where he was outworked by Anichebe of all people) then you're encouraging poor form.

He needs someone to seriously challenge him for his place if he's not playing well. People who are saying "drop him" are really saying "give him a kick up the arse", because he's offside far, far too often and looks utterly thick at times with his movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.