Not open for further replies.
To this day I can't believe Ancelotti forked this up so badly

Starting left footed left back out
Iwobi had just come off his best game of the season playing as a right wingback
Iwobi is right footed
Promising LB on the bench
Our talented LW likes to cut inside

Seemed like an easy equation

But instead we played Iwobi on the left as a wingback and left the kid on the bench. We had no withdt whatsoever. Really a head scratcher
What made it worse was the decision not to even have him on the bench. So in the event plan A didn't work (which I think everybody agrees is what happened) then he wasn't able to change things up.

I do not like 3 at the back, but would stick with it and play Nkounkou and Iwobi tomorrow.

The system does not suit us though and should be binned the next week if Seamus is fit.
I mean, it KIND of suits us. We played some absolutely scintillating stuff against Fulham in the first half with it. The CB's we have just aren't the right fit. Iwobi keeping wide is kind of good there.

I mean, it KIND of suits us. We played some absolutely scintillating stuff against Fulham in the first half with it. The CB's we have just aren't the right fit. Iwobi keeping wide is kind of good there.

Any system that involves us playing another of our error-prone centre halves does not suit us IMO. I'd rather stick to playing 2 of them and trying to find some sort of defensive formula that works.

I do not like 3 at the back, but would stick with it and play Nkounkou and Iwobi tomorrow.

The system does not suit us though and should be binned the next week if Seamus is fit.

...when we play it we invariably end up with a back 5 and invite the opposition on. We sit deep and don’t have the ability to play out.

I think we get too hung up on systems, trying to be clever playing square pegs in round holes. We are at our best playing with tempo and getting the ball forward quickly.

Last edited:

But we have now seen Iwobi at LWB so no excuses tomorrow.
Carlo kind of contradicted himself in the press conference, or perhaps it was lost in his English.

First he said Niels "needs to work" (harder, I'm guessing he means, in training), but then he said he'll "get a chance in the next game" (I'm assuming he means the upcoming fixtures, as it's common for non-native speakers to get their singular and plural nouns mixed up).

Let's see tomorrow.

For me it should be binned now, Niels at LB and Kenny for RB, drop Mina and use Holgate and Keane with Godfrey as sub to replace either Keane or Holgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.