Votes: 30 2.6%
  • Moyes

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • Other, please state

Votes: 89 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And their squad was absolute garbage. He said that was maybe the best achievement of his career.

Still easily good enough to win the Europa League. Arsenal nearly won it last year and they were absolutely terrible and couldn't win a game away from home. He's over-egging the achievement to try and dress up the fact he ultimately miserably failed at United by their standards.

Yes, you'd hope Brands started drawing up a shortlist and putting feelers out weeks ago
You'd hope that he had a shortlist ready throughout his own tenure which needed updating periodically. Even if Silva had been a raging success, you still need a back up just in case he gets poached or hit by a bus. These events happen quickly, and need to have a plan in existence ready to go at the drop of a hat.

You'd hope that he had a shortlist ready throughout his own tenure which needed updating periodically. Even if Silva had been a raging success, you still need a back up just in case he gets poached or hit by a bus. These events happen quickly, and need to have a plan in existence ready to go at the drop of a hat.
Absolutely, I guess we'll see what Brands is really made of in the coming days/weeks

I hope enquiries are already going on, and if we do sack him there's already a clear idea of who will be coming in

One of the things I like about the Mosh/Brands era is that the club is a closed shop as far as leaks etc go. And we do seem to plan a bit more than we did. I can't imagine a competent DoF hasn't got a list and that calls haven't been placed to agents.

If you're going to do it, the international break would seem to be the least worst timing.

Well first of all, I did say 'if he would come' when talking about Mourinho, an acknowledgement that I consider it a long shot. Mourinho is actually not the kind of manager I would like here ideally, but my point was that he would actually be a great candidate to revolutionise the way the club acts - which is what we desperately need. In order for that to happen though, the board would have to show the kind of ambition we are not used to in order to get him - so yes very unlikely. Doesn't make my points about him and the club incorrect though.

On Moyes, I did give him some credit. My point was that, whilst he was more consistently effective than his successors, he actually put in place many of the things that have made us suffer in the future. His achievements were not as amazing as the man himself would have you believe. He got us to a decent level from very little, granted, but the glass ceiling was as much his own as one enforced by Everton's lack of money. Which is why I was talking about the manner in which you beat bigger teams - yes it does matter, if you wish to get in amongst them and win trophies. You simply have to be able to outplay your biggest rivals, at least some of the time. My point was that we have very seldom done so, which has contributed to a bottler's mentality. We approach those games like a League 1 club trying to prove a point - Moyes put that in place.

We could not achieve anything of note in the past as much due to Moyes' limitations as a lack of funds. Fiorentina was a case in point - we had played well against our opponents so far in the UEFA cup, we get an away draw to a semi-decent team, and instead of telling the team to keep doing what they were doing, he tried to play for a nil-nil and we were turned over. He didn't go there to keep it tight as it was the first leg. We played with fear when we had no need to. Then back at Goodison, whilst it was exciting granted, we threw everything at them in a manner befitting a lower league team in the cups instead of putting down a real marker in terms of performance, and we went out. We always did this against bigger teams. So yes, ultimately if you wish to compete at the top, the manner of victory does start to matter.

Because of his and the club's various limitations during his tenure, we achieved nothing and the level of competition beyond the big clubs was nothing like it is now. We need to make an appointment of intent otherwise we slip behind teams like Leicester, Wolves, West Ham, Bournemouth etc for many years to come, never mind the big clubs.

Fair enough mate, I was somewhat critical of Moyes' inability to progress beyond 5th myself whilst he was here, but we have regressed so much in the last few years that the yardstick has changed.

To use an analogy, there's no point trying to attract the fittest bird in the nightclub when you've been drinking since 5pm and have vomit all over your shirt. You'd be better off trying to find a bird that can just help you get home safely, so you aren't mugged on the way home.

We need to focus on someone that can stop the rot, because spending time trying to attract an elite manager is going to be time wasted.

We have talked a lot about crisis points in this club far too often of late - the next manger selection will tell us all we need to know it,s future. I fear that it will be a poor one and that we will see fans walk away some never to return and damage the next cycle of future fans.

It really is that important .

We need to focus on someone that can stop the rot, because spending time trying to attract an elite manager is going to be time wasted.
We have the financial clout to be able to offer the kind of contract they'd be looking for. If we can sign players for £50m and give them £150k a week then we can give a top manager the kind of contract they're looking for. The hard part is getting them to buy in to the vision and the potential of the club.

A top manager should easily be able to get us top 7 this season then help attract more top players in the summer and build from there.

I want our next manager to be someone that's won one of the top 5 European leagues. We need someone proven.

The problem is, you're going back 15 years for your example whereas he's only going back 3.
To be fair I don't think anybody in their right mind would have blamed Benitez for that relegation, in fact he nearly kept them up in spite of everything.
The level of support he got from the fans was telling.

To be fair I don't think anybody in their right mind would have blamed Benitez for that relegation, in fact he nearly kept them up in spite of everything.
The level of support he got from the fans was telling.

Their fans are absolute weirdos who practically support Liverpool though, so he could have taken them down to League 1 and they'd still bum off him. They're no worse under Steve Bruce than they were under him.

Unsworth until the right manager has been found. The squad we have should easily make top 7 we just need a manager who is not a tactical spoon. Unsworth is still consistently getting good results with the U23s so clearly has some tactical plan, its not as if he is winning the U23 league using players who are not at the same level as the teams they are facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.