Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sham has practiced mediocrity all his career, Neil Warnock has a vastly superior record compared to our buffoon but would want him to take the reigns here, no. The only ambition he has shown is to what degree he can line his own pockets. Some one said he doesn't run, he did from West Ham, Crystal Palace and Newcastle where the fans in the main loathed him and his arcane style of play.

So style doesn't matter, you say results matter but our form is atrocious, throwing players under the bus during a loss but taking all the credit for a win is all gravy?

Personally I would rather lose going for a win, than playing for a draw and getting a point. There’s nothing worse than watching us spend the last 10 mins trying to waste time in a corner when we are ahead. Ive even seen it when we have been 2-0 up.

http://www.21stclub.com/2018/03/15/when-he-leaves-the-building/

Article here on the importance of long term thinking/planning and what happens to clubs when long time managers leave.

Guess which club has declined the most after their long term manager left?

I've said for years the club need to be ensuring that all their data/scouting/training sessions/analytics is club property not just held by individuals who can leave at a moments notice.

Article here on the importance of long term thinking/planning and what happens to clubs when long time managers leave.

I've said for years the club need to be ensuring that all their data/scouting/training sessions/analytics is club property not just held by individuals who can leave at a moments notice.
I reject that. If you're referring to Moyes' method it is hardly fit for purpose. First off, he spent a lot of cash on dross when he did spend out: Bilyaletdinov was just awful; Beattie was a transfer record too and just terrible. And then there are the numerous £1m territory signings that sank without trace. He spent well in a certain category of around £5M or just less....and that was at a time when the quality of players from other leagues into the PL wasn't there and you could get away with bringing a Championship player in to hold their own in this league. And Moyes's strategy has been superseded by the amount of cash our managers now have. They are increasingly forced into following suit with the PL norm of signing biggish named players just to stand still. I concede that a few more Gueye type ("Moyes like") signings would be a good thing, but generally Moyes' ways are the ways of another, bygone era. You simply cant operate like that anymore.

In short: Moyes' methodology and analytics would be worthless. Each manager has to do what they are comfortable with. Certainly plan ahead and get a defined style and hire managers who continue that style, but transfer strategies are very personal things to a manager.

I reject that. If you're referring to Moyes' method it is hardly fit for purpose. First off, he spent a lot of cash on dross when he did spend out: Bilyaletdinov was just awful; Beattie was a transfer record too and just terrible. And then there are the numerous £1m territory signings that sank without trace. He spent well in a certain category of around £5M or just less....and that was at a time when the quality of players from other leagues into the PL wasn't there and you could get away with bringing a Championship player in to hold their own in this league. And Moyes's strategy has been superseded by the amount of cash our managers now have. They are increasingly forced into following suit with the PL norm of signing biggish named players just to stand still. I concede that a few more Gueye type ("Moyes like") signings would be a good thing, but generally Moyes' ways are the ways of another, bygone era. You simply cant operate like that anymore.

In short: Moyes' methodology and analytics would be worthless. Each manager has to do what they are comfortable with. Certainly plan ahead and get a defined style and hire managers who continue that style, but transfer strategies are very personal things to a manager.

I agree with most of what you say Dave but Bilyaletdinov when he arrived his crossing was brilliant the trouble was our coaches soon trained that out of him, in no time he was crossing like Arteta, couldn't get over the first man. Its there where Moyes went wrong, his backrbackroom staff were equally inept tactically as he was.

At present our attractiveness as a club is lower than its been in years. Ambitious players look for success and future glory, most of those leaving now or this summer will relay tales of this being an elephants graveyard, for quite a few it has been.

Good article and perfectly illustrates my point that our problems began with the ill thought out appointment of Martinez to succeed Moyes . It was nothing to do with the relative qualities of the respective managers but with the glaring disparity in styles. This is the problem a competent DoF should avoid by ensuring a continuity of style and manager , leaving the coach to coach.
It also warns us of the danger of continuing with Allardyce at least for another season, ( which I currently think is the intent of our board). The longer he is here , the more transfer windows he and his close confederate Walsh operate in means the tighter we will be locked in to his mediocre antediluvian method of football (it doesn't warrant being labelled a 'style'), and the more dangerous it will be to change to a more modern approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.