Votes: 91 9.3%
  • Silva

Votes: 283 29.0%
  • Hiddink

Votes: 30 3.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good article and perfectly illustrates my point that our problems began with the ill thought out appointment of Martinez to succeed Moyes . It was nothing to do with the relative qualities of the respective managers but with the glaring disparity in styles. This is the problem a competent DoF should avoid by ensuring a continuity of style and manager , leaving the coach to coach.
It also warns us of the danger of continuing with Allardyce at least for another season, ( which I currently think is the intent of our board). The longer he is here , the more transfer windows he and his close confederate Walsh operate in means the tighter we will be locked in to his mediocre antediluvian method of football (it doesn't warrant being labelled a 'style'), and the more dangerous it will be to change to a more modern approach.
Who do you think should have succeeded Moyes?

Who do you think should have succeeded Moyes?
To be honest the passage of time has fogged my recollection of just who the alternatives where at the time. But I would have gone with a manager who more closely replicated Moyes methods. I don't mean someone who slavishly adhered to his technique but someone who could have built a more expansive footballing side on the defensive structure Moyes had bequeathed him. Perhaps someone more pragmatic.
Let me be clear on this , I am not attacking Martinez as a manager merely the mistaken act of attempting a major transition in style. Interestingly Kenwright was reportedly considering appointing a DoF prior to settling on Martinez.
In the absence of a DoF we had the chairman making football decisions with the potential detrimental results we are witnessing.
One final point is that I believe you can alter a style of play if you have substantial funds to allow the manager to recruit quality players who suit his aims and are more likely to be effective immediately. We didn't have those resources which left Martinez rummaging around the bargain bucket for the players he needed , including the playmaker he requested and we were signally unable to provide. All with inevitable deleterious results which resulted in his failure and our current dispiriting tailspin.

To be honest the passage of time has fogged my recollection of just who the alternatives where at the time. But I would have gone with a manager who more closely replicated Moyes methods. I don't mean someone who slavishly adhered to his technique but someone who could have built a more expansive footballing side on the defensive structure Moyes had bequeathed him. Perhaps someone more pragmatic.
Let me be clear on this , I am not attacking Martinez as a manager merely the mistaken act of attempting a major transition in style. Interestingly Kenwright was reportedly considering appointing a DoF prior to settling on Martinez.
In the absence of a DoF we had the chairman making football decisions with the potential detrimental results we are witnessing.
One final point is that I believe you can alter a style of play if you have substantial funds to allow the manager to recruit quality players who suit his aims and are more likely to be effective immediately. We didn't have those resources which left Martinez rummaging around the bargain bucket for the players he needed , including the playmaker he requested and we were signally unable to provide. All with inevitable deleterious results which resulted in his failure and our current dispiriting tailspin.
Good post apart from the last sentence. There's nothing about where we are now that's attributable to the Martinez period. The following season (once that 'kin numpty Koeman let the players play) we finished a very decent 7th playing quite well at times. That could have been built on and we may have progressed if he hadn't have settled on the clever idea of having a pop gun attack with no out and out striker, and to go rather with a load of forward players who never ever looked like producing the goals. That, and his shovelling of £200M into a furnace bringing in crap players, is why we are where we are now.

Looks like we should of chosen rangnick or Lucine Favre If the rumours we considered than are true.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing
I think Favre was on the radar in the summer Moshiri plumped for Koeman.

Rangnick and Pereira were the two apparently as alternatives to Martinez when he was brought in.

I think Martínez was the right manager, his problem was after his 1st season, the quality of plays he signed got worse and he kept Howard who the defence didn’t trust which and it effected us and then the confidence went.

It all started to go wrong when Giroud came on with 7 minutes to go and scored twice, had we held on and won that who knows.

Good post apart from the last sentence. There's nothing about where we are now that's attributable to the Martinez period. The following season (once that 'kin numpty Koeman let the players play) we finished a very decent 7th playing quite well at times. That could have been built on and we may have progressed if he hadn't have settled on the clever idea of having a pop gun attack with no out and out striker, and to go rather with a load of forward players who never ever looked like producing the goals. That, and his shovelling of £200M into a furnace bringing in crap players, is why we are where we are now.
Not to mention pissing Barkley off, wth was that all about?

Not to mention pissing Barkley off, wth was that all about?
Funny thing about him upsetting Barkley is that Barkley gave an interview after he joined Chelski and after Koeman had been sacked, in which he praised Koeman and credited him with improving his game. Koeman driving Barkley out is just a discredited urban myth.

I think Favre was on the radar in the summer Moshiri plumped for Koeman.

Rangnick and Pereira were the two apparently as alternatives to Martinez when he was brought in.
Favre was my choice at the time, and I think the way we dealt with him at the time was amateur and frankly disrespectful.

Funny thing about him upsetting Barkley is that Barkley gave an interview after he joined Chelski and after Koeman had been sacked, in which he praised Koeman and credited him with improving his game. Koeman driving Barkley out is just a discredited urban myth.
He’s going to say that, wait till he writes a book and we find out the truth, I think Barkley been well screwed over by his agent and will probably be at Newcastle next year

Seems to be there could be a lot of good managers available this summer. Emery looks out at PSG, there si going to be a big merry go round. As long as the board doesn't screw it up completely I think we could do well going forward.

Seems to be there could be a lot of good managers available this summer. Emery looks out at PSG, there si going to be a big merry go round. As long as the board doesn't screw it up completely I think we could do well going forward.
Your last sentence is the crucial one...atm piss up and brewery spring to mind..hope NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.