Match Thread Newcastle United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I shared everyone else's optimism and positivity in here.

Absolutely massive game. If we lose we'll be dragged into a serious relegation fight, we just cannot lose.

I'd take a draw right now. I'd windmill down the street for 3 points.
In this weather? You wouldn't even hand van.

Going to be v tough. Howe has had the time to get them organised and fighting. I'd settle for a point ... at least they wouldn't gain ground on us.
Howe couldn’t organise a p_ss up in a brewery. He’s had a lit of games and they are no better off for having him just fortunate that Watford and Burnley have zippo and have kept toon within reach

Lampard better manager than Howe all day long, you had better players before the transfer window and you’ve got better players than them now with 2 stellar signings. Above all Rafael ain’t in the dugout so that’s an uplift of 80% output.

I’ve got you down for guarantee draw at worst and if anyone’s gonna win it it’s you

Tough game I would take a draw now just to keep them away from us and add another to our total. But we do have enough to score goals it's whether we can be solid will be tough I'm going a score draw.

Apologies in advance to those who don't want to read positive things about Benitez, but I was asked!

The main reason he was so loved is that he was the opposite to Mike Ashley. He was ambitious, dedicated and dignified; he engaged with fans and communities off the pitch, bought into the culture of the club and strived for betterment: he was the embodiment of everything Ashley wasn't. A reflection of what we wanted our club to be, whilst simultaneously representing the polar opposite to the sneering incompetence of his employer. Plus he stayed with us despite not having enough in the tank to keep us up that season; a failure that wasn't on him (he had ten games; we went the last six unbeaten).

As for his performance; he did well. To start, we won the league at the first time of asking - an achievement unfairly downplayed in English football, particularly when you look at how so many have remained there and/or fallen further still. Then we finished 10th in our first season back and mid-table again the year following, despite a meagre budget compared to others.

As for Eddie Howe, how long he is the manager of Newcastle is entirely down to him now. On paper, he's just what we needed after the hands-off buffoonery of Bruce; though it's clear he can't just coach us out of this mess: January reinforcements were absolutely critical. They've arrived and so if we go down now, he's failed and should lose his job imo. Keep us up and the sky's the limit, it's a huge opportunity for him and us. It would be nice if we could grow together cos I've little to no interest in us artificially purchasing titles a la similar cases.

I really like him as a person but remain unconvinced in terms of his actual management ability. He's averaging a point a game, which is enough to keep you up if you don't have a Steve Bruce handicap. But we do have that handicap, so he needs to find an edge and quickly.
Good post lad
Regarding Howe I just don't think he is a strong enough manager to integrate players quickly into a new team.
He was great when he had his own team promoted but after a couple of seasons when they threw around some money he seemed to struggle and not know/or able to gel what his best team was at Bournemouth

Realy looking forward for this game , let’s see from what are players are build , this is the one that count double , I just want to see confidence, desire to win, playing on front foot , my only concern is how we gonna stop their transition, Max is a beast , we will control the ball and they will let us do that but their transition can be brutal , no clinical that much as they don’t have that individual quality yet but how lucky we are I am only afraid that we don’t pay the price … it will be tough

Status
Not open for further replies.