Match Thread Newcastle United v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly wasn't our forum in that case. Think there's generally an acceptance that clearly it was a bad appointment. Still a lot of love for him around these parts but not unanimous regarding re-employing him. Recent poll (404 votes) had 49% saying they'd have him back at some point. Still a high number obviously.

Anyway, I appreciated your new boss' comments about us earlier today. It's very sad and a very sad indictment on modern football that it requires Saudi money to do so: but surely we can all agree that anything to upset the the hideous ESL chums' applecart has some positives?
Why do think he was so popular? I’m not sure he was really that successful with you lot. Also do you think Eddie is just a stop gap and you will bin him for a more high profile manager?

We'll get a massive reality check tomorrow, and Frank Lampard will be left in no doubt as to the enormity of what's required, and the recurring problems we have, when his bunch jet plane flying, Ice Cap melting, Polar Bear killing, Planet destroying, overly entitled mutans, succumb to another worrying Premier League defeat.
Inevitably Chris Wood will open his account against us and there will be a debut goal for Bruno Guimaraes.

Ermm... Come On You Blues!

-NEVE.jpg

Ill be interested to see how he approaches this game at different stages. I assume from what we know of his managerial career that he will go for it so we will try to get the 3 pts

But if its like 70m in and we are drawing will he be thinking like a lot of us are, that a point is a decent result here and show us he can organise us to close out a game

Or will he risk the damaging loss to go for the win

We'll get a massive reality check tomorrow, and Frank Lampard will be left in no doubt as to the enormity of what's required, and the recurring problems we have, when his bunch jet plane flying, Ice Cap melting, Polar Bear killing, Planet destroying, overly entitled mutans, succumb to another worrying Premier League defeat.
Inevitably Chris Wood will open his account against us and there will be a debut goal for Bruno Guimaraes.

Life of the party you

Why do think he was so popular? I’m not sure he was really that successful with you lot. Also do you think Eddie is just a stop gap and you will bin him for a more high profile manager?

Apologies in advance to those who don't want to read positive things about Benitez, but I was asked!

The main reason he was so loved is that he was the opposite to Mike Ashley. He was ambitious, dedicated and dignified; he engaged with fans and communities off the pitch, bought into the culture of the club and strived for betterment: he was the embodiment of everything Ashley wasn't. A reflection of what we wanted our club to be, whilst simultaneously representing the polar opposite to the sneering incompetence of his employer. Plus he stayed with us despite not having enough in the tank to keep us up that season; a failure that wasn't on him (he had ten games; we went the last six unbeaten).

As for his performance; he did well. To start, we won the league at the first time of asking - an achievement unfairly downplayed in English football, particularly when you look at how so many have remained there and/or fallen further still. Then we finished 10th in our first season back and mid-table again the year following, despite a meagre budget compared to others.

As for Eddie Howe, how long he is the manager of Newcastle is entirely down to him now. On paper, he's just what we needed after the hands-off buffoonery of Bruce; though it's clear he can't just coach us out of this mess: January reinforcements were absolutely critical. They've arrived and so if we go down now, he's failed and should lose his job imo. Keep us up and the sky's the limit, it's a huge opportunity for him and us. It would be nice if we could grow together cos I've little to no interest in us artificially purchasing titles a la similar cases.

I really like him as a person but remain unconvinced in terms of his actual management ability. He's averaging a point a game, which is enough to keep you up if you don't have a Steve Bruce handicap. But we do have that handicap, so he needs to find an edge and quickly.

Ill be interested to see how he approaches this game at different stages. I assume from what we know of his managerial career that he will go for it so we will try to get the 3 pts

But if its like 70m in and we are drawing will he be thinking like a lot of us are, that a point is a decent result here and show us he can organise us to close out a game

Or will he risk the damaging loss to go for the win
I suppose it'll depends on how the game is panning out, if we're on top then he might go for the winner, or if we're up against it, he might shut up shop.

Blimey, is there no positivity in the tank at all, not even a glimmer?

Apologies in advance to those who don't want to read positive things about Benitez, but I was asked!

The main reason he was so loved is that he was the opposite to Mike Ashley. He was ambitious, dedicated and dignified; he engaged with fans and communities off the pitch, bought into the culture of the club and strived for betterment: he was the embodiment of everything Ashley wasn't. A reflection of what we wanted our club to be, whilst simultaneously representing the polar opposite to the sneering incompetence of his employer. Plus he stayed with us despite not having enough in the tank to keep us up that season; a failure that wasn't on him (he had ten games; we went the last six unbeaten).

As for his performance; he did well. To start, we won the league at the first time of asking - an achievement unfairly downplayed in English football, particularly when you look at how so many have remained there and/or fallen further still. Then we finished 10th in our first season back and mid-table again the year following, despite a meagre budget compared to others.

As for Eddie Howe, how long he is the manager of Newcastle is entirely down to him now. On paper, he's just what we needed after the hands-off buffoonery of Bruce; though it's clear he can't just coach us out of this mess: January reinforcements were absolutely critical. They've arrived and so if we go down now, he's failed and should lose his job imo. Keep us up and the sky's the limit, it's a huge opportunity for him and us. It would be nice if we could grow together cos I've little to no interest in us artificially purchasing titles a la similar cases.

I really like him as a person but remain unconvinced in terms of his actual management ability. He's averaging a point a game, which is enough to keep you up if you don't have a Steve Bruce handicap. But we do have that handicap, so he needs to find an edge and quickly.
Thanks for the response, yeah probably should leave it at that. For us he was an absolute bloody disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.