New Stadium- How to size it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it worth having 60,000 seats if, say, 8,000 of them will be empty for your bog standard 3:00 Saturday match against Hull? Personally I'd rather have a stadium that's always full instead of one that only fills up for big games or worse, one that tourists fill up.

Most places including the Echo are now reporting its a 50,000 seater. English heritage and world heritage status might have something to do with the tight capacity and the way the stadium must fit in with the history and look of the waterfront and surrounding developments.

But what would we prefer? 60,000 at middle-of-nowhere Stonesbridge Cross (which would have no such restrictions) or 50,000 on the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey?

I'm guessing most of us would still prefer the latter.

Most places including the Echo are now reporting its a 50,000 seater. English heritage and world heritage status might have something to do with the tight capacity and the way the stadium must fit in with the history and look of the waterfront and surrounding developments.

But what would we prefer? 60,000 at middle-of-nowhere Stonesbridge Cross (which would have no such restrictions) or 50,000 on the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey?

Capacity has not been decided. That has been said quite categorically.

The UNESCO status was already under threat as soon as Peel got their hands on the land and got planning permission for all their proposed developments.

We need to be ambitious- we need the biggest stadium in the city, we need to push our chests out and jump above the likes of Newcastle and brush our shoulders with the likes of Spurs and Chelsea.

Now I'm not suggesting 60k as thats unrealistic at present, but we should be looking at 55k imo 50k is not enough.

Why isn't 60,000 realistic? A 50,000 seater stadium would only be the 9th largest stadium in English club football by the time it opens. Newcastle are the only one of those we'd overtake at 55,000. We won't compete with those clubs for players or trophies long-term with a stadium smaller than theirs. We absolutely would sell out a new 60,000 arena right now, for Burnley at home!

Had a rethink and not quite sure where the 50,000-55,000+ expectations are coming from. We're not even selling out Goodison at the moment and what would be the point in having even more empty seats than we do already?

No, I think we should build the new ground with a capacity of 44,074 which is exactly 10,000 below the new Anfield. LFC are a good example to follow to base our new Stadium on as they've always lead the way with things like this in the City. If we increase the away end to 5 or 6,000 when the big teams come then I fully believe we will fill a ground that size though.

What the actual f$#k ???

Go have another rethink mate.

50k is about right - a massive increase on Goodison's capacity and with zero restricted views. The last thing we want is to be the butt of the same jokes as Shitteh with the "Emptihad" quips. Those saying 60k or so - I'm not sure where you're expecting all the new season ticket holders to come from?

Had a rethink and not quite sure where the 50,000-55,000+ expectations are coming from. We're not even selling out Goodison at the moment and what would be the point in having even more empty seats than we do already?

No, I think we should build the new ground with a capacity of 44,074 which is exactly 10,000 below the new Anfield. LFC are a good example to follow to base our new Stadium on as they've always lead the way with things like this in the City. If we increase the away end to 5 or 6,000 when the big teams come then I fully believe we will fill a ground that size though.
ha ha ha ha ha rawk dwelling belter

Selling out consistantly is important for the stadium. The fear of missing out on tickets then keeps people buying season tickets, and purchasing early. Once you get in a situation that people feel that they can just walk up and purchase tickets on the day, attendances can start to drop. Especially if a team's form also drops.

I'm sure the club will do all the research needed to work out what the capacity should be to keep demand high.

I get the feeling that the 55,000+ figure is wanted by some just to be larger than our original home ground. Just remember it's not how big you are, it's how you use it. Our new stadium will be be one of the finest in the world. There's no need to compare it to any other local misshapen monstrosities.

Got to be 55K+in my view, I live in London and wanted to come to more home games but found no tickets apart from sitting behind a post so with a bigger stadium would me I would be able to attend more regularly rather than relying on a mate to give me theirs that weekend

Several of my mates are in similar situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.