New Everton Stadium Discussion

Pop bottle lid .... nope - this is what Chelsea's ground was reminding me of:
Figure-9.7a.jpg

Their sponsors should be Coral
  • :p

A certain citrus-faced poster doesn't understand why Mosh won't buy us a stadium from his own wedge, out of the goodness of his heart. Even Abramovich isn't doing that.
Moshiri is loading debt onto the club for 40 years. THAT is the issue. If Hicks and Gillett had done that over there they'd have rioted.

Me too it's a proper stand out ground and being made from work brickwork and it's sheer size will make it differ to other stadiums.

I'm just concerned our stadium will be like Meiss' other designs where they look a bit plastic and hollow.
Chelsea's ground looks good from street level with those brick columns, but from the aerial views it's an abomination.

Fact is though, street level is the view that really matters. Yet the first views of any new stadium are always aerial ones.

A certain citrus-faced poster doesn't understand why Mosh won't buy us a stadium from his own wedge, out of the goodness of his heart. Even Abramovich isn't doing that.

I think he is to a large extent - he sees it as his legacy. He should get the money back, but that's not the point. He is risking his own money on it.

The post you were responding to initially about the freehold is because of this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Pitch_Owners. Abramovich actually wants the freehold but he might not get it if Chelsea Pitch Owners decide they want it to remain with them.

I agree with the gist of your post though. No-one should expect their club's owner to build them a stadium from their own personal wealth. It's a bloody nice bonus if they do, of course, but that's not how most stadium builds are funded. And debt is fine, as long as it's serviceable, which surely it will be for your stadium build. Not sure why there should be any panic about the club taking on debt to grow. Better than stagnating.

I think he is to a large extent - he sees it as his legacy. He should get the money back, but that's not the point. He is risking his own money on it.

The post you were responding to initially about the freehold is because of this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelsea_Pitch_Owners. Abramovich actually wants the freehold but he might not get it if Chelsea Pitch Owners decide they want it to remain with them.

I agree with the gist of your post though. No-one should expect their club's owner to build them a stadium from their own personal wealth. It's a bloody nice bonus if they do, of course, but that's not how most stadium builds are funded. And debt is fine, as long as it's serviceable, which surely it will be for your stadium build. Not sure why there should be any panic about the club taking on debt to grow. Better than stagnating.
Panic is what Everton is all about mate, for some anyways. Also you can add doom and gloom into that and then you begin to get the picture.

Paul Gregg wanted to build us a stadium with his own money once upon a time...
Not quite, as I recall the majority of the cost was to be met by the European Union , Liverpool was considered at the time to be eligible for object 1 funding due to the city being in need of regeneration. Everton were required to contribute circa £30 mill and Paul Gregg said he would provide it. However a fall out between him and B K over who would benefit from none football related revenue accrued from the stadium was I believe the reason it went .... Up