New Everton Stadium Discussion

Hosting outside events will just depend on the price Everton decide to charge for rent.

It'll ultimately be in a more attractive area than Anfield - closer to town, not close to residential area for noise complaints - for Merseyside but will be tough to knock the Etihad and Emirates Old Trafford off as the go-to stadium venues for the North West

Won't be a mid-season move because, aside of the tickets and stuff, you need to run test events beforehand for safety certificates etc

Are we going to run concerts and then rush into a fresh pitch in January? Would be a disaster really on both sides of the coin.

Multiple women's games would affect the pitch too.

So leaves you with the option of waiting for the summer - which they will do.
Test events can be the ladies team or the U-23s who will draw big enough crowds based on those who want to see the stadium.

These events build up capacity. First event with 20k. Second with 35k etc. The opening game of the Aviva in Dublin was an exhibition rugby match where a combined Ulster/Leinster team played a combined Munster/Connacht team. As someone said, these games are purely used to test the facilities, access, egress etc.

Was thinking the same. I fully expect them to make use of the Fan Plaza for smaller events to be fair and that would fall outside of that condition. Can fit crica 11k on the fan plaza so still sizeable!

Good shout. We overlook the fan zone. I suspect that will be a great space for certain events, too.

….the Arena on the dock houses 11,000 whilst Anfield is around 50,000. Both have held major concerts in recent times as has the likes of Lancashire Cricket Ground.

I do think location is important as is facilities. Being a walk from the City Centre has to be an attraction to selling tickets.

I'm not disputing that concerts happen at stadiums?

I also didn't say location is irrelevant - location is intrinsic to selling tickets which is all promoters care about. They dont care whether it's near a city centre, thats venue operators who care about that, promoters just want to be sure theres a demand and will to sell tickets. The more tickets, the better - and that's dictated by capacity.

Stadiums aren't comparable with arenas by the way so forget and ignore "the arena on the dock" - you need an artist that is capable of selling out a stadium. That immediately removes 100% of every act that is currently booked into the biggest indoor arena in Europe, that is over in Manchester.

What I said is;

Indeed.

I would imagine it's a tough sell.

As you say, you need an artist that is capable of selling out a stadium.

When those artists are performing stadiums, capacity is what trumps everything.

Everton Stadium will have less capacity than other stadiums in the region, with proven records and/or operators of hosting live music.

... There isn't many artists touring who perform stadiums.
... The artists who perform stadiums over arenas do so because of capacity.
... From the stadiums available in the region, Everton's capacity will be less than others in the region. The others will also have had a record of hosting concerts.

I also didn't say location is irrelevant - location is intrinsic to selling tickets which is all promoters care about. They dont care whether it's near a city centre, thats venue operators who care about that, promoters just want to be sure theres a demand and will to sell tickets. The more tickets, the better - and that's dictated by capacity.

Stadiums aren't comparable with arenas by the way so forget and ignore "the arena on the dock" - you need an artist that is capable of selling out a stadium. That immediately removes 100% of every act that is currently booked into the biggest indoor arena in Europe, that is over in Manchester.

What I said is;

... From the stadiums available in the region, Everton's capacity will be less than others in the region. The others will also have had a record of hosting concerts.

I know you are in this market place, so totally accept what you say. But BMD having a lower capacity than the Pit and the Manc grounds does not mean it will not be an option for those acts that can sell out a ground. Like I said, all stadiums have limits on how many gigs they can hold. So another one onto the roster means it is likely it will get some use.

The difference in revenue is ridiculous. The last gig I went to was AC/DC in Birmingham NEC, scheduled to be the last gig of their last tour. Due to demand, it went on for another 2 years, all stadium, worldwide.

Receipts from the NEC. £700,000. Their next gig, Stockholm or sommet, in a stadium there, £4 million.

I know you are in this market place, so totally accept what you say. But BMD having a lower capacity than the Pit and the Manc grounds does not mean it will not be an option for those acts that can sell out a ground.

Absolutely mate.

I'm not saying Everton Stadium won't/can't host concerts, as obviously it can, will and no doubt do so very successfully.

I'm just saying that in my opinion, attracting regular concerts will be more difficult than what many people think because of the reasons I've shared, mainly very few stadium profile artists (they're getting less and less), and the competition in the region is pretty strong.

What you said there about rev in Birmingham to Stockholm is the promoter driver.

Still, chalk and cheese compared to Goodison and there will be so much going for Everton Stadium.

Absolutely mate.

I'm not saying Everton Stadium won't/can't host concerts, as obviously it can, will and no doubt do so very successfully.

I'm just saying that in my opinion, attracting regular concerts will be more difficult than what many people think because of the reasons I've shared, mainly very few stadium profile artists (they're getting less and less), and the competition in the region is pretty strong.

What you said there about rev in Birmingham to Stockholm is the promoter driver.

Still, chalk and cheese compared to Goodison and there will be so much going for Everton Stadium.

From what I have heard, hosting You Tubers boxing matches is pretty lucrative. Again, you probably know that, but lost on me.

And I will never get why/how Ed Sheeran sold out Wembley Stadium 5 nights on the bounce.

What I said is;

Genuine question as I don't know the answer. Why do more artists seem to play at the Etihad than Old Trafford Football Ground - which has the bigger capacity.

Wondering if they just don't host those events at Old Trafford Football Ground as I know on a recent weekend Arctic Monkeys played at OT Cricket Ground and Coldplay were on at the Etihad.

Genuine question as I don't know the answer. Why do more artists seem to play at the Etihad than Old Trafford Football Ground - which has the bigger capacity.

Wondering if they just don't host those events at Old Trafford Football Ground as I know on a recent weekend Arctic Monkeys played at OT Cricket Ground and Coldplay were on at the Etihad.

Maybe United dont have a decent licence?

Can be loads of reasons mate - stadium refurb (the reason Man Utd claim they werent considered for Euros), promoter relationship with venue, licensing, cost of rent/ticket share etc.

That'll only continue too - Man City are building an arena next door to their stadium though that'll be 23,500 and an arena with regular events will allow a relationship with promoters.