New Everton Stadium Discussion

I've been reading that a new stand being built at a previous stadium we used to play in at the other end of L4 is 4 months behind schedule. Not only that but one of the beams they tried to install doesn't fit. Nice to know our new build is going so well. I just wonder how any rebuild at GP might have gone. Could have been fraught with loads of complications such as they are experiencing over the park. Just a thought.

Yeah, but seriously who cares…..

I dont think they do. All infrastructure spending like stadium builds/stands upgrades/training ground development are outside of FFP.

More importantly, infrastructure expenditure on stadium construction is excluded from FFP.

I think I read somewhere UEFA or the Premier League might be changing that in future to include infrastructure spending within FFP. Happy to be corrected. :oops:

Even if that is happening, this new stadium will already be built by then.;)

Well, I suppose I do. I find it amusing they're having issues after telling us for years our stadium wouldn't get built and also it helps vindicate those of us who wanted to move to a new stadium and could see all kinds of issues and not many benefits of staying at Goodison.

I'm not sure it really vindicates anything to be honest. £760m for 52k seats, 4k+ corporate and just 22 boxes compared to £160m (+£40m anciliaries) for 62k seats 8k+ corporate and 64 boxes. ROI of just a few seasons compared to potentially decades for BMD? Ours only works if bank of daddy covers all the costs, with massive naming rights and no significant debt is passed on to the club/future owners, without that it's the same scattergun economics that put us bottom of FFP league upto last season. To say a minor delay at Anfield compared to a debt that could sink us out of site vindicates your view could be serious grasping at straws.

I think I read somewhere UEFA or the Premier League might be changing that in future to include infrastructure spending within FFP. Happy to be corrected. :oops:

Even if that is happening, this new stadium will already be built by then.;)
Even if that happened it would be easy to get round because in many cases the football club don't own the stadium .This applies to West Ham ,Man City ,Newcastle among others ( and probably us ). So it could be said that infrastructure spending is the responsibility of the stadium owners not the football club.

The economics of BMD are flaky at the increased cost and scaled back capacity/boxes vs. original design. It is more or less certain that one way or another it is going to be a financial burden for quite some time before it becomes a financial asset. If it helps position the club more favourably with sponsors and players/agents and that translates into improving performance (requiring competence off the field!) then it can work out but we do have to at least acknowledge that those with concerns have a point.

I'm not sure it really vindicates anything to be honest. £760m for 52k seats, 4k+ corporate and just 22 boxes compared to £160m (+£40m anciliaries) for 62k seats 8k+ corporate and 64 boxes. ROI of just a few seasons compared to potentially decades for BMD? Ours only works if bank of daddy covers all the costs, with massive naming rights and no significant debt is passed on to the club/future owners, without that it's the same scattergun economics that put us bottom of FFP league upto last season. To say a minor delay at Anfield compared to a debt that could sink us out of site vindicates your view could be serious grasping at straws.
They are putting lipstick on a pig. A 75-80k state of the art stadium in a more accessible location was surely the right move for them. They talk about themselves as though they are shoulder to shoulder with the European big boys. Look at the Real Madrid and Barca plans, the Bayern stadium. United will surely redevelop soon with a much larger capacity than Liverpool could get close to in that footprint. It might have been the prudent move financially and appealed to the romantics in the fan base but unless they can find a way of developing the other two stands the end result will be fairly unremarkable compared to their apparent peers

Be worse if we stayed at Goodison as nothing will get done other than a lick of paint.

We have to move grounds and rebuilding Goodison is a non starter for many reasons.

A new purpose built stadium which increase capacity by some 13k seats on the banks of the river Mersey is how we can move forward.

Goodison for all the history and good times is no longer fit for purpose unless we’re happy to spiral down the leagues because of sentiment.

Morshiri will fund this himself if he wants a sellable asset in Everton football club or find suitable investors but either way it WILL GET BUILT.

We have to move grounds and rebuilding Goodison is a non starter for many reasons
uh-oh-run-away.gif

Also worth noting that it was a delay that was largely planned. I think all involved were sceptical of their initial plan to remove the ARE roof and integrate the new sections during the world cup break.

Some just won't lose the idea that we are moving into a brand spanking shiny new state of the art stadium on the beautiful Mersey seafront instead of staying in L4.

Gonna miss Goodison but some still think we could stay and redevelop it.

Some folks gotta move on.
It is entirely possible to be both excited and fully accepting of BMD and still have some reservations and concerns about certain aspects of it. It is also entirely possible that redevelopment could've been the better option in terms cost and certainly in terms of preservation of history and heritage. The value of that and BMD's obvious benefits are not mutually exclusive realities.