New Everton Stadium Discussion

It can't but it will.

The Champions league without most of them clubs would be finished if we are honest. PSG and Bayern would eventually sign up to the ESL too I've no doubt. It'd kill the competition. And whether we like it or not the ESL would be hugely popular with the worldwide casual football follower, which is clearly who they are targeting.

I agree with you by the way. But even if the other clubs could vote the 6 out, would they? It'd be turkeys voting for Xmas. Voting them out would see their TV money drop to what, a few million a year? The PL wouldn't survive without these clubs as it is currently. And the PL wouldn't kill their own product and turn it in to a piss poor SPL.

I think they will eventually back the 6 clubs and [Poor language removed] on UEFA, if it did come down to it.

And the incentive would be the very generous 5 extra spaces at the ESL table, our very generous overlords have made available.

PSG no doubt wil sign up eventually.

They cannot at the moment because they are owned by Qatar and this monstrosity poses a threat to next year’s World Cup.

I don’t see how Bayern can get involved though.

German clubs are controlled by the fans....and fans all over Europe are appalled at this.

The Esk said on Twitter that the stadium will be in jeopardy now, he's been spot on with everything he's said so far so I'm really upset today.

To be fair to him he didn't say that. He raised the very relevant point that any lenders will want to see clarification of what the financial impacts are given the SL news.

If you look at the game tonight between Liverpool and Leeds, there would be no point under the new proposals. RS aren’t going to win the league and they would already be in next years Euro league. It would be a pointless game for them.

It completely destroys the integrity of the competition.

The Government has to hit them all with anti competition laws.

It's not a dream as we have owners that are not going to sit down and just say we'll stay at Goodison Park now. You do realise that we need a new stadium whatever and we have already spent millions on this project? Even if we went for the bare bones option it would still be 200 million+.

As a club we still have to put in the groundwork to compete with these teams so if this becomes the norm at some stage we need to have the infrastructure to gatecrash the party. You think I'm dreaming but I'm falling to see any logic in your riposte. The stadium is not and never was reliant in TV money. That was the Emirates build, short term loans that needed to be paid back ASAP due to crippling interest rates, this is a long term mortgage style deal where even in the mid 2000's we were making enough income wise to repay it back.
If this goes through, it changes everything for our club. We will never compete. That’s the point of the proposal.
We may need a new stadium, but I doubt the future economics will permit the current plans.
Our revenue will tumble.

If you look at the game tonight between Liverpool and Leeds, there would be no point under the new proposals. RS aren’t going to win the league and they would already be in next years Euro league. It would be a pointless game for them.

It completely destroys the integrity of the competition.

The Government has to hit them all with anti competition laws.

Or flip that, LFC could have lost their first 5 SL games and have no chance of winning it so they try to win the PL and sacrifice the SL games that then become dead rubbers. Either way competition is distorted. They cannot play in both, it's incompatible.

These 12 clubs wanted more from the Champions League, UEFA was today going to give them guarantees that they would be in the Champions League EVERY year regardless their league position.

They want more money. UEFA need to start today by banning all 12 from European qualification then go to courts, after 2/3 years of no Champions League revenue, they'll soon be crawling back.

Players and Managers need to speak out - watch Klopp etc avoid that question.

FA, Premier League EFL need to punished heavily - transfer embargo and points deduction.

Players should be picked for Internationals because we all know those clubs don't give a toss if they stay or go but the players want to play in the World Cup, Euros, Copa, Olympics etc but their parent clubs will ban them

Once they crawl back and they will, reform the Champions League and Domestic leagues and stop "bigger" clubs negotiating their own terms.

It's a Competition not a Monopoly

Or flip that, LFC could have lost their first 5 SL games and have no chance of winning it so they try to win the PL and sacrifice the SL games that then become dead rubbers. Either way competition is distorted. They cannot play in both, it's incompatible.
Exactly. It’s a monstrous idea. It flies in the face of sport and competition.

This from the Guardian the morning
George Davidson emails in an interesting thought: “National government may have limited formal powers to stop any super league. But local government may have more, stronger and long forgotten powers. Football Clubs use the name of their towns and cities with the permission of the local council. If Liverpool Council decides it no longer wants Liverpool FC to bear its name, then they could withdraw that right. The club could still exist and play in the new ESL but call itself something else (Red Mersey?) but they could no longer call itself Liverpool. That would be an utterly extraordinary move but maybe even the threat would be something.”

There was mnetion of winning clubs in seasons joining this SL, but nothing said of clubs who should be relegated.

How are fans going to afford to travel all over Europe and after Brexit will there not be restirctions, show passport etc?

That would be my hope too. But realistically the BMD project gets temporarily suspended immediately. How can it not? While this threat hangs over football and the value of this club could drastically reduce based on the decisions of 6 greedy club owners, no way things carry on as normal until we get some clarity.

Yep i can't see how this doesn't seriously jeopardise this project....Moshiri and Usmanov are funding the club with the view to becoming a Champions league club...if thats no longer a possibility, and there's no way of getting into this super league permanently, then we might be in trouble here

This from the Guardian the morning
George Davidson emails in an interesting thought: “National government may have limited formal powers to stop any super league. But local government may have more, stronger and long forgotten powers. Football Clubs use the name of their towns and cities with the permission of the local council. If Liverpool Council decides it no longer wants Liverpool FC to bear its name, then they could withdraw that right. The club could still exist and play in the new ESL but call itself something else (Red Mersey?) but they could no longer call itself Liverpool. That would be an utterly extraordinary move but maybe even the threat would be something.”
Is that true, clubs really have no right to use the area name without local council permission?