New Everton Stadium Discussion

Screenshot_20210403-144827_Maps.jpg

Sandhills will be fine for getting to BM but will be fairly useless after the game as it just isn’t designed to have so many people using it at the same time, so the wait will be prohibitive to most people. Which is a shame as it’s there is plenty of capacity in the new trains that will stop there.

I do think BM does have a transport problem that will have to be looked at. The Heritage issues took all the bandwidth during the planning phase and consequently Everton will spend a lot of money retaining the ‘integrity’ of the dock (so it could be brought back to use in the future) which could have been spent better on a new station or a remodelled Sandhills, which would solve a lot of transport issues.

But as @Saint Domingo pointed out, we don't seem to have a problem at Goodison. Kirkdale gets less trains than Sandhills. There's also other options. Bank Hall is only 5 mins away from Sandhills and Old Hall Street is less than 1.5 miles from the ground.

@Dr Baxter pointed out that not everybody can get the train, and I agree that bus services will need to be laid on, but other than that, I think the transport links are fine.

Personally I think once the "bowl" gets to a size the accommodates 60k all seated, there's no way on earth you can have a feeling of "intimacy"/fans being "on top of the pitch", no matter what you try.

If you look at Spurs ground, they did try. The stands are decently close to the pitch and they're not shallow or anything, plus the home end looks boss, but it's still a big cavernous bowl really - just like the Emirates - and the feedback I've seen about the atmosphere suggests exactly that: it's not intimidating at all. That said, a far bigger factor than design, to atmosphere, is the set of fans that fill the stadium and obviously Spurs have never been renowned for having a particularly intimidating crowd anyway, even at the old WHL.

The good thing about a smaller "bowl" like BMD is that you've got a far better chance of creating that "intimacy" effect. The fact that we could potentially increase capacity through more standing spectators, which would, you'd have thought, only improve atmosphere, is absolutely ideal.

For me, this entire project is as close to perfection as was humanly possible going into it.

You're right about the Nou Camp, Wembley etc. Terrible atmospheres.

You rightly mention cavernous bowls the likes of Arsenal and WHU and I'm with you about Totthenham NWHL. One of the remits for Meis was to make BMD an tight intimate stadium. But you can still get it with more.

Millennium Stadium, Celtic Park and the Lucas Oil Stadium (67000) below.

Mil.jpg
Celtic P.jpg
LOS..jpg

But as @Saint Domingo pointed out, we don't seem to have a problem at Goodison. Kirkdale gets less trains than Sandhills. There's also other options. Bank Hall is only 5 mins away from Sandhills and Old Hall Street is less than 1.5 miles from the ground.

@Dr Baxter pointed out that not everybody can get the train, and I agree that bus services will need to be laid on, but other than that, I think the transport links are fine.

Just for the avoidance of doubt given the fact that homework has been done by the club in planning permission re. public transport for reasons I have suggested in recent posts, I really don't think getting to and from BMD will be in any way problematic.

That said, I think some of the estimates of walking distances quoted are a tad optimistic. Sandhills to Bank Hall in 5 minutes? No chance. It's about 15. Dale Street to the new ground is half an hour. Well it is for me, anyhow. I've timed myself.

Yes of course, but I was thinking I am not sure where I will be able to park as I get closer to the ground. Doesn't sound like there will be much provision for parking and public transport is not possible for me

Same.

Dad is on crutches permanently and can't do distances. We currently park down a side road near the stadium with his badge and he can manage the short walk. No idea how we are going to do brambley moore.

Needs to be very close or perhaps an official car park pass or something.

I am sure the club will provide options.

Just for the avoidance of doubt given the fact that homework has been done by the club in planning permission re. public transport for reasons I have suggested in recent posts, I really don't think getting to and from BMD will be in any way problematic.

That said, I think some of the estimates of walking distances quoted are a tad optimistic. Sandhills to Bank Hall in 5 minutes? No chance. It's about 15. Dale Street to the new ground is half an hour. Well it is for me, anyhow. I've timed myself.
No it’s not

Same.

Dad is on crutches permanently and can't do distances. We currently park down a side road near the stadium with his badge and he can manage the short walk. No idea how we are going to do brambley moore.
Hopefully plenty of commercial properties will open up parking for a fee - usually happens when there is easy money to be made. Fingers crossed