New Everton Stadium Discussion

The whole question of transport to BMD always makes me laugh. Everyone manages to get to Goodison and Anfield from all over the place even though they’re both stuck in amongst residential housing with not much parking available, pretty inaccessible by taxis, and only a few bus routes. I’m sure people will manage to find their way to a city centre stadium that’s within walking distance of numerous train stations and numerous bus routes.

Defo. Sandhills is a good station to be close to. There's trains direct from Southport, Kirkby, Ormskirk and South Liverpool.

From Lime Street, there's trains every 5 mins into Central, and from there it's a train every 5 mins to Sandhills (6 minute journey.) Likewise coming from the Wirral, Ellesmere Port and Chester via James Street and Moorfields/Old Hall Street.

Looking forward to making Old Hall Street our territory, that's for sure ;)

Capacity wise, as long as we can get it up to around 60k in the future, I think that’s enough.

Anything more than that and I feel you start to lose the atmosphere. Imagine having a club stadium like Wembley, Nou Camp, etc. They’re just far too big for a club.

Personally I think once the "bowl" gets to a size the accommodates 60k all seated, there's no way on earth you can have a feeling of "intimacy"/fans being "on top of the pitch", no matter what you try.

If you look at Spurs ground, they did try. The stands are decently close to the pitch and they're not shallow or anything, plus the home end looks boss, but it's still a big cavernous bowl really - just like the Emirates - and the feedback I've seen about the atmosphere suggests exactly that: it's not intimidating at all. That said, a far bigger factor than design, to atmosphere, is the set of fans that fill the stadium and obviously Spurs have never been renowned for having a particularly intimidating crowd anyway, even at the old WHL.

The good thing about a smaller "bowl" like BMD is that you've got a far better chance of creating that "intimacy" effect. The fact that we could potentially increase capacity through more standing spectators, which would, you'd have thought, only improve atmosphere, is absolutely ideal.

For me, this entire project is as close to perfection as was humanly possible going into it.

You're right about the Nou Camp, Wembley etc. Terrible atmospheres.

I come along the East Lancs Rd and park near the Queens Drive junction. Not sure what the options will be for me when we move to BMD

Defo. Sandhills is a good station to be close to. There's trains direct from Southport, Kirkby, Ormskirk and South Liverpool.

From Lime Street, there's trains every 5 mins into Central, and from there it's a train every 5 mins to Sandhills (6 minute journey.) Likewise coming from the Wirral, Ellesmere Port and Chester via James Street and Moorfields/Old Hall Street.

Just a couple points about the train. Firstly not everybody lives near a station. There are plenty of parts of Liverpool and the Liverpool City Region where you can be miles from a station, so getting a train from home is not an option. Secondly, the number of trains the system can cope with is limited due to signalling and time tabling. Because of this, there is a finite number of passengers who can get a train to the match per hour. The trains alone could not cope with the best will in the world and even if a new station was built.

That said, I don't think getting to BMD will be problematic due to the provision of special buses that will be laid on from various points as detailed in the planning docs. That will be the key to getting there and getting away for people who are unwilling or unable or simply don't want to get soaked walking on a rainy day. Special buses are needed particularly as the dock road and Vauxhall Road have few schedule routes. Likewise, I suspect black cabs will be vital as well. There will be taxi ranks for dropping off and picking up. This too is explained in the documents.

I come along the East Lancs Rd and park near the Queens Drive junction. Not sure what the options will be for me when we move to BMD
Depends where you are coming from, I suppose. One thing that I think will catch on for some is a family trip to town to park up there. Any shoppers can go about their business and those going the match can make their way to BMD on foot, train, bus or taxi to meet up back in town later. A lot of new habits will be getting formed over the first couple of years at BMD and I suspect the city centre will be a massive beneficiary.

Sandhills will be fine for getting to BM but will be fairly useless after the game as it just isn’t designed to have so many people using it at the same time, so the wait will be prohibitive to most people. Which is a shame as it’s there is plenty of capacity in the new trains that will stop there.

I do think BM does have a transport problem that will have to be looked at. The Heritage issues took all the bandwidth during the planning phase and consequently Everton will spend a lot of money retaining the ‘integrity’ of the dock (so it could be brought back to use in the future) which could have been spent better on a new station or a remodelled Sandhills, which would solve a lot of transport issues.

If by car, the best route now would probably to turn right at the QD junction and follow it straight along till you reach the Dock Road.
Yes of course, but I was thinking I am not sure where I will be able to park as I get closer to the ground. Doesn't sound like there will be much provision for parking and public transport is not possible for me

Capacity wise, as long as we can get it up to around 60k in the future, I think that’s enough.

Anything more than that and I feel you start to lose the atmosphere. Imagine having a club stadium like Wembley, Nou Camp, etc. They’re just far too big for a club.

Correct. If we can get away with increasing capacity from a higher than 1:1 ratio, then we might end up with a 60,000 capacity stadium which is smaller than the all seater ones with a better atmosphere. That would be ideal.

Sandhills will be fine for getting to BM but will be fairly useless after the game as it just isn’t designed to have so many people using it at the same time, so the wait will be prohibitive to most people. Which is a shame as it’s there is plenty of capacity in the new trains that will stop there.

I do think BM does have a transport problem that will have to be looked at. The Heritage issues took all the bandwidth during the planning phase and consequently Everton will spend a lot of money retaining the ‘integrity’ of the dock (so it could be brought back to use in the future) which could have been spent better on a new station or a remodelled Sandhills, which would solve a lot of transport issues.

To be fair, BMD has public transport challenges for which the club had to provide answers, otherwise quite simply we would not have got planning permission in the first place.

Yes of course, but I was thinking I am not sure where I will be able to park as I get closer to the ground. Doesn't sound like there will be much provision for parking and public transport is not possible for me
What about parking in one of the multi-storey car parks at Bootle Strand and then getting one of the special buses that will be running to the ground or get on a train at Bootle Strand or Bootle Oriel Road? What about parking in the city centre and making your way by one of various methods back out to BMD?

What about parking in one of the multi-storey car parks at Bootle Strand and then getting one of the special buses that will be running to the ground or get on a train at Bootle Strand or Bootle Oriel Road? What about parking in the city centre and making your way by one of various methods back out to BMD?
Thanks for the suggestions, will bear them in mind