New Everton Stadium Discussion

I was talking about whatever the value of the actual naming rights deal turns out to be. But the first dibs thing was definitely a FFP fiddle; it was just about the right amount to cover the amount you needed to be FFP compliant that season, wasn't it? lol

I'll say this, Levy must be kicking himself we couldn't get a few tens of millions from a similar deal...it's almost as if an actual market for first dibs for naming rights isn't really a thing! (I wouldn't be so cynical!)

Coincidence.

Ish.

When all is said and done, its two mates helping each out, ish.

Moshiri couldnt get his hands on Everton without selling his shares at Arsenal. Mate buys them.

Moshiri buys Everton with essentially the same money.

If we are right about the long game, (the docks), everything else makes perfect sense.

Nice to think it's "Just mates helping each other out(ish)" but mates don't just give each other shares worth multi millions of pounds just because they are mates.
It is a little strange that this mate of he's is he's accountant ;-).

Nice to think it's "Just mates helping each other out(ish)" but mates don't just give each other shares worth multi millions of pounds just because they are mates.
It is a little strange that this mate of he's is he's accountant ;-).

Oh its plain as day to some of us mate.

If the docks were not getting developed, neither would be anywhere near us.

If it looks like an outside sponsor isn't as "unrelated" as the club is making out (and with your owner and backer that's a grey area), then it can be investigated. We're talking about eligibility for UEFA (and PL) competitions...that is not an unregulated environment, anything but. Man City making out their Etihad deal isn't mates rates has got them into real trouble with UEFA. Of course, if the club doesn't care about competting in the CL, then go ahead...but to me it looks like you're taking a risky path in how this stadium is funded when it's unnecessary to do so.
Now see that's just plain weird to me. I can completely get doubting that Usmanov is on board - i'm yet to be totally convinced myself - but suggesting that us plebs on a forum have spotted an enormous iceberg that one of the world's richest men and all the advisors that go with him have missed is... well... a bit bonkers really isn't it?

I think you're also tailoring the FFP regulations to suit your argument, rather than actually looking at what they say. A very quick glance at them tells me this sponsorship thing could only be an issue if the sponsorship accounted for more than 30% of our revenue, which there's no reason to suppose it would. City's case involved £100m per year of sponsorship from companies which their owner was chairman of, that is absolutely nothing like the situation we're talking about.

You just have to hope that the development of the docks still seem like a good idea. It could be the case that the building of new properties in probably the worlds biggest depression isn't the correct time but hopefully the need for jobs will allow for building?

Think you're wrong there. Any revenue within FFP has to be deemed at fair market value, not seen as a fiddle. As I said, stadium build costs are outside of that equation, so owners can plough as much money in as they want to. Naming rights aren't outside of it though.

I'm not pre-empting anything, but it just seems weird that that risk is being taken when there's a completely risk-free way of putting loadsa money into the development.

I don’t think they’re worried about putting money into the stadium, that’s easy for them and not an issue as I’m sure we’ll find out soon. I think there problem is/was getting around financial fair play and getting money into the team hence the dodgy naming rights deal and a few other deals you may not know of.... Usmanov’s companies sponsoring our youth teams, sponsoring our training ground amongst other things, all done via separate deals. If FFP gets relaxed I think you’ll see us spend big even in this market. I believe FFP is all that was holding us back as we had little room to manoeuvre with it.

Is this the way it's all gone so far?

1) Very rich Usmanov give he's much poorer accountant Moshri free shares of he's stake in Arsenal?

2) Moshri sells those free shares in Arsenal to buy Everton?

3) Usmanov then pays millions to sponsor Evertons training ground owned by he's accountant Moshri?

4) Everton plan to build a new stadium in Liverpools docklands?

5) Moshri buys Liverpools Liver building?

6) Usmanov then rents office space inside the Liver building from he's accountant Moshri?

7) Usmanov sells he's shares in Arsenal?

8) For no reason at all, through one of he's many companies, very rich Usmanov pays £30 million just to be able to have the first rights to be able to sponsor a future stadium owned by he's accountant Moshri, who in the first place had used the free shares given to him by Usmanov to buy Everton?

They’ve also had other sponsorship deals, as mentioned above. They’ve made, within the last month, a £100 million + planning application to develop Goodison when we leave that they’ll never get there money back from. Although, I don’t think it’ll be all there money used it will still be a considerable investment and they’re responsible for it all. They’ve also announced in the last month or 2 a huge investment in Everton ladies and Usmanov’s nephew has just took over the running of that area of the club.

I disagree, I don’t think they’re it to make money. I think they wanted a football club to enjoy and we we’re the next, best, big club off the rank. Add in the new stadium at the docks and it’s something very exciting to be involved with.

The 2 of them, Mr Moshri and Mr Usmanov have brought the club back from the death and they’re the best thing to happen to us for a long, long time.

You just have to hope that the development of the docks still seem like a good idea. It could be the case that the building of new properties in probably the worlds biggest depression isn't the correct time but hopefully the need for jobs will allow for building?

Its already started, but I do get your point. Time will tell is the best I have.

I disagree, I don’t think they’re it to make money. I think they wanted a football club to enjoy and we were the next, best, big club of the rank. Add in the new stadium at the docks and it’s something very exciting to be involved with.

You may well be correct. In some ways, I hope you are.

I saw that about Usmanov's nephew becoming involved in the ladies team and at the time I thought "Nephew of a multi billionaire becoming involved in the ladies team. Whats the angle here?"
I can't see it being him need to earn £80,000 a year?

I saw that about Usmanov's nephew becoming involved in the ladies team and at the time I thought "Nephew of a multi billionaire becoming involved in the ladies team. Whats the angle here?"

I didnt know that!

His step son has an office in the Liver Building though.

It gets lit up all Blue at nights. For the NHS, of course.

It is the dodgiest and yet not dodgy situation going at the moment. Ultimately he can invest what he wants as he has no shares in Arsenal anymore.

I assume at some point he'll be moved onto the board / take a chunk of Moshiri's shares. USM Finch Farm, the option for Stadium rights etc.

Is this the way it's all gone so far?

1) Very rich Usmanov give he's much poorer accountant Moshri free shares of he's stake in Arsenal?

2) Moshri sells those free shares in Arsenal to buy Everton?

3) Usmanov then pays millions to sponsor Evertons training ground owned by he's accountant Moshri?

4) Everton plan to build a new stadium in Liverpools docklands?

5) Moshri buys Liverpools Liver building?

6) Usmanov then rents office space inside the Liver building from he's accountant Moshri?

7) Usmanov sells he's shares in Arsenal?

8) For no reason at all, through one of he's many companies, very rich Usmanov pays £30 million just to be able to have the first rights to be able to sponsor a future stadium owned by he's accountant Moshri, who in the first place had used the free shares given to him by Usmanov to buy Everton?

Cant see the problem, friends have always given each other gifts. If we were mates I'd have no problem buying you a pint, nothing to see here..

Oh come on Dymak, even you must know there's dodgy stuff going on?

As for Chelsea getting £40 million a year for shirt sponsorship now becoming
"The going rate."
Companies pay millions of pounds to have their company name on football shirts because these teams are seen on tv all over the world, playing top grade football in European competitions and winning trophies. With respect mate, thats not Everton.
Trophyless Spurs would also not get Chelsea's £40 million.

Your view is that there are only four or five teams that are capable of getting top whack. Or worse, that there should only be four or 5 clubs that are ALLOWED to get top whack.

However there are more than four or five huge companies that wish to sponsor Premier League football clubs. So what happens when all top four clubs are already sponsored? Are the 5th and 6th biggest clubs in the league obliged to limit their demands when it comes to sponsorship deals? Are they not allowed to capitalise on the lack of supply but huge demand when it comes to sponsorship of premier league football clubs?

That's not how supply and demand works.

If a huge company wants to obtain premier league exposure and the top 5 clubs are already sponsored, then Everton are within their rights to demand whatever they see fit to allow a company the ability to sponsor the next biggest team in the Premier League. The sponsoring company then decides whether its value for money or not, and a deal may or not be struck.

If they want to sponsor Watford, go ahead and sponsor Watford, if indeed Watford actually have a sponsorship deal available and it hasn't already been taken by someone else.

We are Everton, an ever present premier league football club with more years in the top flight than any other football club. If USM want to sponsor Everton, we are entitled to ask for whatever we consider to be the going rate. If USM want to go elsewhere, they can do so, but they won't be able to sponsor the five bigger clubs, as they're already sponsored.

There won't be any rules that allow a telecommunications company like Three Mobile the right to sponsor Chelsea for 40 million pound a year, but also restrict a telecommunications company like Megafon from paying Everton how much? No more than 15m? No more than 20m? No more than 30m?

Three Mobile are a telecommunications company sponsoring a premier league club and the market value is 40 million pound a year. Megafon are a telecommunications company that may wish to sponsor Everton.

Everton and Megafon, or their parent company USM, will be able to strike a similar deal, and nobody will be able to prevent them.