New Everton Stadium Discussion

This is my only concern at the moment (although esk has argued it will be higher than 50k). We should build for the future with a larger capacity not limit ourselves based on perceived current demand. It's about ambition as well, if we want to be the best club in the city, NW, country etc. then we need to at least think we deserve a bigger stadium than others.

50k confirmed.

I want it to be 60 000 seats.

50 000 feels abit meh.

Of course being a modern construction there will be the possibility of expanding it later.

I feel the same, if they're just going to expand it to the size it should be in first place then they've wasted time. 60000 only puts us on a par with our rivals.

We want the expansion to be available to get ahead of our rivals.

Elstone said they'll be in consultation on capacity. 50k came up in a council document, nothing is confirmed.

I highlighted that it was quoted be Esk to be greater than 50k.

As much as I agree with you that the 50k is a pathetic figure, you're completely wrong that it's confirmed.

It was an inhouse joke that it was quoted by Esk mate.

Although - I have a gut feeling a capacity of around 50 - 55k could be a possibility with room for expansion. Congestion issues will need to be countered first before considering such a high capacity to obtain planning permission.

This is where the SPV comes in, if I've read it correct. Reading through it we pay the SPV who then pay the lender.

It sounds like a sub lease agreement, but the security of the council acting as guarantor makes it an easy sellto the lenders

Yep it lowers the interest on the loan for the club, it gives the council an unbelievable kick back for what is probably the safest guarantor agreement they'll ever take on, and some funding body (a bank, or super wealthy individual) is going to make money on a long term loan which has an absolute iron clad guarantee of being repaid. Win win win. That's why Moshiri is a billionaire and muppets on RAWK trying to pass this off as 'plucky Everton can't afford their stadium' are too stupid to understand what a great deal this is.

Reading the Guardian article, it talks about the 30 year planning permission granted to Peel. Making the broad assumption that they weren't planning to keep BM as wet dock, you have to think that they were planning development at least as complex as that which we are proposing. So surely that should give us greater confidence in PP being granted?

(Might be a facile way of looking at it, but a large proportion of a football stadium is the pitch, which is barely load-bearing at all, and the stadium construction would surely be lighter than a 20-storey tower block?)

https://www.theguardian.com/discussion/p/66eem?page=2#comment-9542826

Hmm, I'm not sure her detective work checks out to be honest

Especially with the following reply

Thats the double whammy. Lads we are only building a new stadium because we are jealous of one stand and we want to put Tranmere out of business.

Nothing to do with improving ourselves and increasing income, attracting better players, showing ambition etc.

...And we are supposed to be the bitter ones. :Blink:

Even though the news that came out yesterday confirming the deal and method of financing it will be the unveiling of the new stadium design that will really generate public attention.

At the moment it is still aspirational , I think our neighbours in particular probably think that we have been in this situation before but we are still at Goodison after previous failed attempts to move.

The site purchase, funding model, Council backing and the plans for the new stadium revealed...and of course Moshiri now in charge just may get people concerned this is really happening.
If it turns out the fund provider is a Usmanov company, then that really is the icing on the cake.

Some thoughts having read the last few pages:

The 14 million a year is likely to be a very small amount in 20+ years, so nothing to be stressed about. A very manageable debt.

Is Nelson Dock included. Bradley Moore alone, from what I can make out, is very narrow in terms of a stadium site, and has very few access points in the old wall. Delighted by yesterday's announcement, but was hoping they would confirm it's both docks.

It seems likely that the sale and leaseback of FF to the council, and subsequent sponsorship to USM was a test case for the stadium. USM Bramley Moore or the Megafon anyone?
I'm still uneasy about us not owning the site. Being a wool, I don't know what Liverpool council is like but near me, Swindon Council own Swindon town's stadium and it causes all kind of problems. (Although a corrupt badly run club and dim witted country bumpkin councillors with Hitler mentalities, are probably mostly responsible for that!)

Last edited: