New Everton Stadium Discussion

I somehow struggle to believe we can afford to build a stadium that will rival the Sydney Opera House in terms of impact to the city it is based in.

To put it in perspective, if the Sydney Opera House and been constructed in today's money the cost would be £580m.

I've been thinking about the latticework. As iconic as it is, and as much as I love it, would it suit a modern stadium?
Obviously it will have a modern take on it but I just can't see how it would fit in.
Saying that, there's more artistic brains than mine on the case so I'll have to wait and see..would love some brickwork though.
There's a building on Cannon St in London which springs to mind. It could be our equivalent of the Birds Nest or the Bordeaux stadium if it was totally covered in latticework.

cannon_street_station_nw130609_2.jpg

I somehow struggle to believe we can afford to build a stadium that will rival the Sydney Opera House in terms of impact to the city it is based in.

To put it in perspective, if the Sydney Opera House and been constructed in today's money the cost would be £580m.

Only if constructed with today's money with yesterday techniques.

A lot of pioneering work happened on that project, including it being one of the first in the world where the structural cast concrete was proved suitable using computerised calculations. Those have moved on incredible distances since then and are much, much cheaper and faster. When you consider that, plus the fact that pioneering takes time, you could probably do the Sydney operas house for about 25% less these days.

I think it was the leader of the council that mentioned a "£300m" project, surely in the Brexit environment and with our hopes for an "iconic" stadium with circa. 60k capacity, it is going to cost significantly more? I know nothing about stadium design and construction, but I would imagine that £300m wouldn't go particularly far these days.

Spurs' new stadium must be costing at least twice that, if not more.

Apologies if already posted, but if anyone had an analysis of the projected costs and how Everton (in theory) propose to raise the finance, I would be very interested in reading.

I would imagine spurs costing a lot more but that's mainly down to it being in London, you could probably build the same for less up north

I know nothing about stadium design and construction, but I would imagine that £300m wouldn't go particularly far these days. Spurs' new stadium must be costing at least twice that, if not more.

£450m or thereabouts for ours. (that's only for the stadium though, none of the other developments around it).

So £300m could be in the right ballpark depending on what's happening. However, my guess would be it's a number the council leader has plucked from the air rather than anything too precise, especially at this stage. If there are three models sitting on Moshiri's desk, it might be that there's a cheap, middling and expensive option. I'm guessing even the big details, nevermind the fine ones, are yet to be decided on with lots of ideas being bandied about, so pinning a number on anything would be total speculation.

Last edited:
£450m or thereabouts for ours. (that's only for the stadium though, none of the other developments around it).

So £300m could be in the right ballpark depending on what's happening. However, my guess would be it's a number the council leader has plucked from the air rather than anything too precise, especially at this stage. If there are three models sitting on Moshiri's desk, it might be that there's a cheap, middling and expensive option. I'm guessing even the big details, nevermind the fine ones, are yet to be decided on with lots of ideas being bandied about, so pinning a number on anything would be total speculation.

I'm going to take a stab at these supposed models sitting on Moshiri's desk, being none of those 'options' and will likely not represent the Everton stadium at all. Purely supposition on my part though based on what stage I think the process is at. If they are well past that, then they have completely blindsided me.

I'm going to take a stab at these supposed models sitting on Moshiri's desk, being none of those 'options' and will likely not represent the Everton stadium at all. Purely supposition on my part though based on what stage I think the process is at. If they are well past that, then they have completely blindsided me.
So Jacko forgive me if already posted,what stage do you think its at?

I would imagine spurs costing a lot more but that's mainly down to it being in London, you could probably build the same for less up north

A lot of extra expense in the spurs build is the way it being constructed and it's locality in the community.
Bramley moor wouldn't have a fraction of the logistical nightmares Spurs are enduring possibly could be a simple build as a lot of the main steels could come straight of the boat onto site at any time of the day (Spurs have restrictions on deliveries due to its location and surrounding businesses)