New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The list of options isn’t exactly inspiring but I’d be reasonably happy with potter - if he could develop a squad to play like brighton but with the likes of Calvert lewin and/or richarlison up top finishing all those chances then it could be an interesting proposition.

Whoever does get needs to be given time - current squad is just a horrible mish mash and needs root and branch changes which won’t happen over a single (or even a couple) transfer window

Potter in January on receiving criticism from fans:

“I understand that while results are what they are, then people can have a different opinion and I respect that. That is football, that is life, we’re not always going to agree,” said Potter.

“It is hard when people from your own club criticise you, I think. That is hard. But you have to respect that because they care for the club, they want it to do well, and that is also fair.

“I don’t go on social media – I think that’s quite dangerous for someone in my position.

“Obviously I answer questions from you guys (the media) and you get a sense of the narrative.

A bit of a worry because he's going to get criticism from the off here.

Cooling on Galtier considerably now. Concerned about his age and why he seemingly hasn’t drawn attention from anyone, anywhere until this recent Indian summer with Lille.

Rig
I get all of that but it still worries me. We have not been good since Bobby's first season and I'm hesitant to hire a manager that has finished 15th and 16th

Absolutely. But one thing is an undeniable truth: No appointment is without risk.

I'd certainly have him over the majority of the other (realistic) names mentioned.

We have tried short cuts (reckless spending, Moshiri's desired "Hollywood" manager approach) and it hasn't worked. I'd be happy with 2 or 3 seasons steady growth rather than trying to gatecrash the top end. We're currently miles away.

There was me thinking that the best football was the one that delivered the best results. Obviously that was wrong though and the best football is actually whatever big oil has been told by the media is the best this month.
Remember Allardyce being asked about his 'Style of play' when he joined?

“My style is winning matches."

The trouble is that doesn't work. A manager needs to believe in his preferred systems and the board and supporters need to have the patience to let it grow naturally.

I like Potter and all that he’s achieved at the Amex, but if he struggles with criticism this is not the club for him. Sadly many of our fans do nothing but criticise these days. The likes of Lukaku, Barkley and Stones were constantly derided every home match.
That applies to the majority of teams.

Football fans (in general) are no-nothing bells. You only need to listen to fan podcasts or (shudder) tune in to a watch-along to know that.

The dumbing down of the level of pundit appointed to have basically "mad bantz" instead of actual insight is a major factor.

Potter in January on receiving criticism from fans:

“I understand that while results are what they are, then people can have a different opinion and I respect that. That is football, that is life, we’re not always going to agree,” said Potter.

“It is hard when people from your own club criticise you, I think. That is hard. But you have to respect that because they care for the club, they want it to do well, and that is also fair.

“I don’t go on social media – I think that’s quite dangerous for someone in my position.

“Obviously I answer questions from you guys (the media) and you get a sense of the narrative.

A bit of a worry because he's going to get criticism from the off here.
You must be seeing something I'm not. Why is that a worry?

Anyone who can get our players to translate the skills, tactics and enthusiasm from the Finch Farm training snippets onto match day Goodison gets my vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.