New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically what you’re saying is, if I’m reading between the lines. You’re fine with appointing Ferguson, because he could be like Sean Dyche?

Hodgson, is an experienced manager, who’s been successful at what he does for 4 decades.

Sean Dyche has managed previously and does what he needs for Burnley.

Appointing Ferguson as a manager, who has no experience, to manage a side like ours, is going to go well?

Leicester dominated us, United Dominated us, Arsenal was a disaster. Don’t let the fact it’s Dunc cloud your judgement.

Love the bloke, but we didn’t set the world alight, he has no managerial experience, and coming in, when the clubs at its lowest ebb for 3-4 years, is a recipe for disaster, and I thoroughly believe we’d be in a relegation scrap.
We were dominated in about 75% of our games last season with one of the worlds best managers. It’s about results at the end of the day.

I`m not saying we should appoint Howe but the way some people are dismissive of him purely because he got relegated with Bournemouth is a bit harsh, dont forget they would and should have stayed up if the goal line technology and VAR worked in the Villa v Sheff Utd game. It should have been Villa that went down!

Unfortunately Howe will not get the chances he probably deserves, the biggest reason is, he is English!

NES has now identified the 442 as the formation to break the top teams, Howe and Dyche have been using that for years and over achieving with it!

Looking at Howes team at Bournemouth it is easy to see they were energetic and athletic, technically not great players but thats where they were and what they could attract. He made King look like a Premier League player.

The football was always progessive and I always enjoyed watching his Bournemouth side, they were good to watch, he even turned over some of the ESL 6. My point is with the players at his disposal he should never have kept them in the Premier League let alone stay there for 5 years (15/16-19/20), he massively over achieved whilst selling his best players to survive. They are now back with what Eddie has built there and the players he bought.

Some will point to bad buys such as Ibe and Solanke. Lets not forget the many many good buys which has taken a tiny club like Bournemouth to mixing it with the elite..... Not to be under estimated.

Perhaps I am biased when it comes to English managers but they need to have a chance. If you are going with some mediocre foreigner I`d rather us take a chance on Lampard, Dyche or Howe. Still think we should be going for the best in the market if we can get.......

Poor down-trodden English managers :dodgy:

This.

Considering he's not even in a job, it just baffles me that his name is never even mentioned in conversation, nevermind remotely being linked with. Yet I hear people mentioning absolutely dross like Moyes, Martinez, Howe etc.

Looking at Everton's previous managers and points per game:

David Moyes - 1.5 points per game
Roberto Martinez - 1.44 points per game
Ronald Koeman - 1.47 points per game
Fat Sam - 1.42 points per game
Marco Silva - 1.33 points per game
Carlo Ancelotti - 1.60 points per game

Looking at the clubs which Valverde has managed over the past 10 years:

Athletic Bilbao - 1.64 points per game
Valencia - 1.87 points per game
Olympiacos - 2.34 points per game
Barcelona - 2.23 points per game

Also winning 10 trophies in the process (albiet 4 trophies with Bacelona over 2 years). Don't get me wrong, Olympiacos and Barca are giants in their respective leagues so you could say that he's bound to do well there.

Just think it's absolutely mad that his name doesn't even get mentioned, yet I see people backing Moyes, Martinez, Howe etc.
Speaks fluent English, wants to manage in England...

We were dominated in about 75% of our games last season with one of the worlds best managers. It’s about results at the end of the day.

Do you think, had Ferguson stayed for 5-6 further games, he’d have continued to get results?

Personally, it got gradually worse from the Chelsea game.

You’re right, it’s a results business, and I’m not going to be happy with a decision like Duncan. It’s not what we need, and it’s a dangerous game to play if we do hire him.

I'll set my stall out a bit here...

No to Gerrard. It isn't that I think he's a bad manager, he seems to have done well up there (albeit Celtic appear to have been a mess this season), but there are lines you don't cross and both he and Benitez would be my line. I wouldn't go to watch Everton while they were being led by either of those two. Even in the world of Merseyside football, those two crossed lines I can't ever accept. From Benitez spitting on decades of tradition by becoming the first manager since Shankly introduced the tradition to refuse to have dinner with the manager of the opposing club to his small club jibes. Nah, he can get in the bin no matter how many interviews he tries to do to open up the possibility of us giving him a cushy job near where he lives. Gerrard equally scathing of us in the press, and in fairness to him, the appalling stick we handed out to him must stick in his throat too. Went too far on both sides and it just couldn't possibly happen.

Potter - I understand why people would be so against this, but all I'd ask is that people be a little more open-minded about why he might be worthy of consideration. If all you're going to do is pick coaches who are "winners", you are always going to miss the ones who have shown the potential that your casual fan might be overlooking. Take Klopp when he went to Dortmund from relegated Mainz, or when Southampton appointed Pochettino whose only body of work was a spell at Espanyol where he was sacked with them bottom of the league. The point being here was that teams who were a little more forward-thinking could see the underlying data and believed it would translate into much better outcomes with higher quality players. Potter is the latest one to come up under this argument. The improvement Brighton have made under him from the point of view of the stats is remarkable. If you just take the xG stuff that we all have access to these days, Brighton would have finished 5th last season based on an average xG performance - the point being here is that the suspicion is that Brighton lack players good enough to convert the high quality of chances that they create. He is effectively a similar shout to when Dortmund appointed Klopp or when Southampton appointed Poch - the data suggests he's worth taking a chance on. I can't see us being brave enough to make a decision like this and I expect we will end up with Nuno or someone like that because we have the safety net of Wolves's two 7th place finishes under him to point to as far as being "proven" in the league goes. I don't neccessarily have a huge problem with this approach, but all I'd hope is that the likes of Brands wouldn't be scared to appoint Potter because he wasn't "proven". If we always take that approach, we'll always miss out on the best up and coming coaches.
Great post. Can’t argue with any of it. But, traditionally, would any of the ‘top six’ or Spanish/Italian giants have adopted this approach? I think if we do go down that route, it would have to be Moyes who has still yet to prove himself with a decent budget and full club support. Forget the United appointment: that dodgey Ferguson guy sold him down the river with the well-past sell by date side he inherited. If Ferguson had had any decency, he’d have gone two or three season before when he first mooted his intentions to retire, leaving Moyes in a healthier position. Can’t blame him for going - you can not compare the Ancelotti duplicity with Moyes having ambition scenario - but I always thought if he’d stayed, he could have overseen a return to the glory days, once ownership eventually and inevitably changed. No doubt he rues his decision too in light of events.

Status
Not open for further replies.