Neville Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the story that Kendall told our defenders not to foul anyone and risk getting sent off as Nev would save the one on one.

....he also said don't close opposition down if they are shooting from outside the box as the only way they would beat Nev is via a deflection. Quite possibly the best goalkeeper I have ever seen anywhere but a bit of a complex character off the pitch.

"Come and meet us at a hamper factory". Jesus, no wonder he sodded off to Leeds.

Johnson all over, that.
Was it park foods in southport? Martyn was waiting and waiting, eventually told they've not time to see him and Leeds were interested too.. If we'd had him for the ten years previous we'd have been so much better..

After the GOT question on Facebook and the front page news, I rooted this out on YouTube.

I may be biased, but in terms of positioning and reflexes, has there ever been a better goalkeeper?

He is an actual living football legend.

When I was growing up, Peter Schmeichel was an immortal, living legend, practically unstoppable and bloody scary when it came to 1 on 1s. Scored goals too! Unbelievable keeper.

But Southall was better when he was 40 in an FA Cup final.

Neville Southall is still the best goal keeper the world has ever seen.

Even in his last days for us he was one of, if not THE best player in the side and still one of the top goalies in the league - as he was for his entire time with us. No wonder we don't rate any other goalies, we had Big Nev.

I'm lucky to have seen him so many times, he'll be spoken about in near-Dixie terms one day (in fact he almost already is, with that save vs Spurs from Mark Falco), and we've seen him with our own eyes. Makes me a bit sad that we lack in that position at the moment.

I know he's mad but that made him even better. Why be boring when you can be mad? Best player most of us have seen in person, and I saw us as title holders.

Neville Southall was a god amongst kings in the 80's squad

A true legend

The best goalkeeper the world has ever seen

Anyone who got in his way ended up the floor. Nothing beat seeing Southall with the ball in his hands looking down on the striker flat on his arse.

Nobody will come close

Neville Southall was a god amongst kings in the 80's squad

A true legend

The best goalkeeper the world has ever seen

Anyone who got in his way ended up the floor. Nothing beat seeing Southall with the ball in his hands looking down on the striker flat on his arse.

Nobody will come close
It was almost as if, if someone was good enough to beat him, we should sign them ie. Norman Whiteside.

Happy days.

The greatest keeper of all time, the best of the best of that there is no doubt. Not given the recognition he deserves by the mainstream media (no surprise there).

He allowed one the greatest club sides of all time to defend the half way line and allowed us to play our game in the opposition half for virtually the whole game, every game.

Howard Kendall told the last man to never bring down the opposition player and concede a penalty if he ever got through on goal because he still had the big man to beat.
This - the whole post.

But the bolded bit, well, I'm going to go and lie down in a darkened room and cry into some Belgian beer while watching youtube videos of us in the '80's doing just that. It may be cathartic, it may completely break my spirit.

We'll see.........

Status
Not open for further replies.