Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly. There's a feeling with Maupay that we know what we're going to get. A player that knows how to score in the league, is competitive and works hard for his team.

Isak has been very hot and cold for Sociedad, there's a big element of risk for that price.

Before last season, Isak was brilliant for three seasons, including his time at Willem II. He was not terrible last season, just not quite as good, but he is still only 22.

There are others like him and this is why it is important to have a strong scouting network before they become too obvious, too expensive and have their pick of the top teams. I just think Maupay is too safe. He is OK and will contribute but he will not improve much beyond what he has done at Brighton.

….I understand the concentration on his goal record but its also lots to do with team shape and balance. Some were posting we looked better when Rondon was on the pitch against Forest even though he contributed nothing.

Maupay is very decent with his back to goal, he can hold defenders off and keep possession. He is clever in linking with others, so players like Gray and Gordon will find it profitable to get alongside & beyond him.

i think this signing is a month too late but I expect he’ll start plenty of games, even when Dominic Calvert-Lewin is fit.
Stop talking sense. What kind of GOT poster are you?
Look at the stats, pick out the worse possible outcomes, point to them as proof positive that he is going to be an absolute disaster for us and BOO with every bit of breath in your lungs. :rolleyes:

I'm fine with Maupay, there are prem teams with worse strikers and we literally had the worst striker (Rondon), so I think its an improvement.

If only Brighton had thought about that, oh wait a moment.

I give you, Locadia, Andoni, Sima, Persian Ali, Shakquri to name a few, all flops £70m at that. All scored less goals than Maupay combined.

We have probally one of the best scouting set ups around when you look at who wr have sold and replaced then with, but buying a striker is either hit or miss, and if you are lucky that 1% of the time its a hit.
Totally agree 70m on 6 players isn't much and I'm pretty sure you will recoup a lot of that.

All strikers currently playing in the pl didn't have any experience its all a gamble at some point.

Dont think we can Phil.

Every signing we make now needs to be low risk, with resale a massive factor.

It's about being competitive enough to stay in the league.

The margins between that, and mid table are very slim.

Let's get there, and secure first IMO.
Most signings this window have been low risk but it my opinion resale not so much . Tarkowski not for resale, coady no. Onana 35m risky. Mcneil is very odd indeed. Maupay resale I'd say not at 26 15m.

Onana is also just that risk I mentioned so we are doing it just not enough.

I totally agree which is why I'm baffled as to why we are signing a few we have

Most signings this window have been low risk but it my opinion resale not so much . Tarkowski not for resale, coady no. Onana 35m risky. Mcneil is very odd indeed. Maupay resale I'd say not at 26 15m.

Onana is also just that risk I mentioned so we are doing it just not enough.

I totally agree which is why I'm baffled as to why we are signing a few we have
Onana's the signing with upside. We won't recoup much of Tarkowski's wages if we sell-on, and will likely just run him down when we sell. McNeil is young, and could easily come good. Maupay is a solution to an immediate problem that, again, we are likely to run down.

We do need to sign more kids with potential, but we're just not in a position to do that right now. Job #1 is to stay in the Prem, which means that everyone that comes in is expected to contribute immediately. It's still a solid set of signings for that purpose, in the sense that it offers some upside and didn't break the bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.