Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s a striker who does score albeit not lots, but what can we get that’s better, available and for similar money….!?
Not very many.

Looking at last season’s PL top scorers list there’s not many who scored more than 10 goals that would be available for much less than £50million!

We play a system where Gordon and Gray play off the sides of our CF as support strikers. That's where Maupay will play. Consider him our Richarlison replacement, he has a very similar goal return and impact over the last 3 years for Brighton. Broja or Brereton Diaz will be the cover for Dominic Calvert-Lewin.
He's never played in a front three as far as I can see. He's a throwback to when teams played a big man, little man front two. Might hang around when we're in the Championship, I suppose.

22 in his last two seasons at twice relegated Norwich, yes.

Compared to 26 year old Neal Maupay who has scored 16 goals for midtable Brighton in his last two seasons.

I know who would be cheaper too.
As Norwich’s focal point of the attack, yes.

At 32 you think he’d carry on scoring 11 goals a season?

I’d rather have Maupays steady 8-10 at 26 thanks.

….I understand the concentration on his goal record but its also lots to do with team shape and balance. Some were posting we looked better when Rondon was on the pitch against Forest even though he contributed nothing.

Maupay is very decent with his back to goal, he can hold defenders off and keep possession. He is clever in linking with others, so players like Gray and Gordon will find it profitable to get alongside & beyond him.

i think this signing is a month too late but I expect he’ll start plenty of games, even when DCL is fit.

Evidently not. Newcastle are lashing £60m on a striker who scored 6 goals last season.

Isak is 22 and has 57 goals in 121 games, not far off 1 in 2 since he was 18. He will be a very good signing for Newcastle.

For roughly what they'll pay for him, we've spent on Onana and McNeill.

Not very many.

Looking at last season’s PL top scorers list there’s not many who scored more than 10 goals that would be available for much less than £50million!
Exactly, not saying it’s a solution, but we need this to push us in the right direction. IF we survive this season, I would expect an upgrade next season.

He will provide something we don’t have right now

….I understand the concentration on his goal record but its also lots to do with team shape and balance. Some were posting we looked better when Rondon was on the pitch against Forest even though he contributed nothing.

Maupay is very decent with his back to goal, he can hold defenders off and keep possession. He is clever in linking with others, so players like Gray and Gordon will find it profitable to get alongside & beyond him.

i think this signing is a month too late but I expect he’ll start p,entry of games, even when Dominic Calvert-Lewin is fit.
He does all of those things when part of a front two. Will we be playing that system? We haven't once under Lampard so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.