Confirmed Signing Neal Maupay

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not saying sign him. I was asked to provide a proven Premier League striker that we could afford and would come to us.

Pukki has scored nearly 40% more than Maupay over their last two PL seasons and would be much cheaper.

There are better options than Maupay.
Like for like in the two seasons Pukki scored 19/20 - 11 goals in 38 games, 21/22 11 goals in 41 games, Maupay 19/20 - 10 goals in 38, 21/22 9 goals in 35 games. So Pukki scored 3 more goals (which is 15% more not 40%). Pukki 0.28 goals per game, Maupay 0.25 goals per game. Goals per minute Pukki = 1 goal per 280 minutes, Maupay = 1 goal per 265 minutes. So on that basis they are pretty even (Maupay slightly more prolific). On top of that Pukki is 32 and Maupay is 26. Pukki would have to be a hell of a lot cheaper to make any sense as he would have no sell on value whereas Maupay should.

Onana's the signing with upside. We won't recoup much of Tarkowski's wages if we sell-on, and will likely just run him down when we sell. McNeil is young, and could easily come good. Maupay is a solution to an immediate problem that, again, we are likely to run down.

We do need to sign more kids with potential, but we're just not in a position to do that right now. Job #1 is to stay in the Prem, which means that everyone that comes in is expected to contribute immediately. It's still a solid set of signings for that purpose, in the sense that it offers some upside and didn't break the bank.
Yes I know that what I wrote. Mcneil has " proven" what he can do in this league he's made hundreds of appearances.

We won't recoup anything for Tarkowski and coady Is a loan fee at the cheapest.

Maupay again is "proven" we need more than 10 goals so not quite " solved". Again at 15m not much chance of profit there.

I totally agree but like I mention some of these signings are confusing. More work , a lot more actually.

Like for like in the two seasons Pukki scored 19/20 - 11 goals in 38 games, 21/22 11 goals in 41 games, Maupay 19/20 - 10 goals in 38, 21/22 9 goals in 35 games. So Pukki scored 3 more goals (which is 15% more not 40%). Pukki 0.28 goals per game, Maupay 0.25 goals per game. Goals per minute Pukki = 1 goal per 280 minutes, Maupay = 1 goal per 265 minutes. So on that basis they are pretty even (Maupay slightly more prolific). On top of that Pukki is 32 and Maupay is 26. Pukki would have to be a hell of a lot cheaper to make any sense as he would have no sell on value whereas Maupay should.
Pukki is a lot older. There is also what Maupy will do apart from score goals. Such as making room for other players and hold up play.

Richarlison: 48 goals in 175 Prem games for Everton and Watford. Which is 1 in 3.6, a greater difference of 0.4 to Maupay.

Would you sign Richarlison for £15m
In a similar vein.... Nicked from elsewhere....

Last season
Maupay got 9 goals, only Richarlison scored more (11) and we sold him for £60m, only 1 other Everton player scored more than 5 - Townsend with 7.

Season before: Maupay got 8 goals, only DCL scored more (16), even Richarlison only got 7, James and Gylfi got 6.

Season before that: Maupay got 10 goals, DCL and Richarlison got 13 each, nobody else scored more than 3.

Other than DCL's purple patch season, he'd have challenged to be our top scorer every single season and bar our best two players, one of which is now gone and the other is seemingly riddled with injuries, he's comfortably above anyone else who was there in those seasons!

He's good value for money in terms of transfers and fees and he is settled in this country and used to the league, its a good signing, even if its not the brazilian wonderkid that people who don't understand football properly would prefer.

Richarlison: 48 goals in 175 Prem games for Everton. Which is 1 in 3.6, a greater difference of 0.4 to Maupay.

Would you sign Richarlison for £15m
He doesn't do all the other stuff Rico does, which is the reason for the disparity in price tags.

15 million pounds for 1 in 3.6 is still an absolute bargain in this market for a proven Prem goalscorer. Anyone without top 6 money to throw around and a need should take that one and run like they stole something.

Status
Not open for further replies.